Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I am a Marketing God.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
cowain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelone
This in ingenius. You, my friend, are brilliant! If only the local brewpub that serves others' beers as well would try to sway me like that.
Yea seriously. I thought it was an awesome way to get someone to try something. This cute girl walked up with a bucket of beers and gave some of us beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #12
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Free beer from a cute girl to boot. Madon'.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 AM   #13
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Marketing is smoke and mirrors in one sense, but true strategy in another sense. Promotion is what most people think of when they think marketing: Packaging and Promoting. You are all marketing when you make beer. Why? Because you're using your insight to fill a gap in the current market place. Most of you say that you brew because it's the only way to get good beer. Therefore, you've realized that people with tastes similar to your own are displeased and would like an alternative. Your friends that drink your beers are who you make the product for - your target market.

As for Budweiser, you don't capture 54% of the domestic beer marketplace without making a product that people like. I like my homebrew, but it's not something I can drink 10-12 of in a night. When I'm hanging out and playing cards with my friends, I like to have a cold beer in front of me that won't fill me up and won't make me feel all wasted too early. Would you want to only drink high-grav beers if you were planning to hang out with your guys for 7-8 hours? Probably not. Would you want to see those greedy vampires you call your friends slurp-and-piss two cases that took you a month and a half to make in just a few hours? Probably not. Therefore, a product that you have zero attachment with is the right product.

When I have one or two friends over, I like to serve them my beer in a nice frosted glass. We have a few, discuss it and then get into solving the world's problems. We enjoy the beer as it is a centerpiece of the experience. But after about 3-4, we can start to feel the effects of it taking hold. It takes about 6 Miller Lites before I get tingly.

Therefore, I say that there is a time and a place for everything. Miller and Bud are perfect for certain occasions. Sierra Nevada, Bass and Guiness are great for other occasions. Home Brew is great for specific occasions. Just like I know that Charlie Trotter makes a damn fine meal, there's time that a greasy $3.50 burrito is jjust what I want.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:35 AM   #14
AlaskaAl(e)
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with the gentleman from Illinois. That sounded a bit Senatorial didn't it?

Marketing is not always about making a bad product sound good, sometimes it can clue you in to a good product you've been missing out on. There's a place downtown that has the best fast-food type food I've ever had. The only reason I found out about it was because they were going out of business and as a last-ditch effort to keep the place open they hired a marketing firm. Apparently sales doubled in a week and I have a new favorite fast-food joint when I'm on the north side of town. The new storefront allowed me to actually see the place on a busy street (in fact I'd driven past it on many occassions and didn't even notice it), the radio ads made me aware of their existence, and the simple, straightforward approach appealed to me. "Come by Pee-Wee's. The food is good and the prices fair." At least it was something to that affect. No gimicky crap to try and trick me to try their food. I really can't stand McD's and BK fries suck. They filled the void of fast, tasty food that fit my budget. I'd been wanting an alternative, I just didn't know there was one up the road.

Congrats on the success and best of luck with the degree. Someone's going to get paid a lot of money to promote products (see: Super Bowl commercials), you might as well be the one getting paid.

Last edited by AlaskaAl(e); 08-04-2005 at 12:39 AM.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:39 AM   #15
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAl(e)
I agree with the gentleman from Illinois. That sounded a bit Senatorial didn't it?

Marketing is not always about making a bad product sound good, sometimes it can clue you in to a good product you've been missing out on.
Thanks! The alcohol industry in based on it. Think about this: would you be interested in Grey Goose vodka if it came in a plastic jug for $9.99? Would you buy a micro brew that didn't have a clever name or odd flavor offering? Without marketing, beer is Miller and Bud.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 AM   #16
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Cheesefood; I agree as well on your beer consumption practices. Ain't no way I'm going to be watching NFL at 10a (out here!) and tapping into a Guiness Clone. I need to watch all 4 quarters so I usually indulge in the Champagne of Beers (long neck only). Time and a place for all styles of beer. Right now it's a Tecate with a lime as its too damn hot out right now.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:59 AM   #17
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Life's too short to drink bad beer!

Sorry, I don't agree with you. When I have people over it's not to serve Bud or Miller. I don't buy either of them. They are brought to my house because some people have no taste buds and refuse to be educated to the finer points of beer. My brother-in-law only drinks PBR.

My point is...IF I did have you guys over you'd be free to drink all the HB your heart desired.....

PS. I don't drink Vodka either.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #18
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
I've never seen anything resembling Irish on the menu's though
boiled meat and cabbage?

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #19
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
...Without marketing, beer is Miller and Bud.
Marketing made Miller and Bud what they are today, so without marketing, there is no beer...or maybe there would be more beer variety(who knows).

On a side note, I don't think there is such a thing as an absence of marketing...its everywhere. Its been a while since my MBA marketing class, but I recall something about 4 Ps (product, price, placement, promotion???). That pretty much covers any product in the marketplace.

What drives me to buy a craft beer has nothing to with a clever name but more to do with satisfying my palate.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #20
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I agree with vtfan. What drives me to try a new beer is not the ad, look, or design of the label. It's the word stout that the label carries. Sometimes you get a dud like Dragon Stout, and sometimes you get a great surprise like Wolaver's Oatmeal Stout.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Quick Reply