Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I am a Marketing God.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 04:35 AM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Default I am a Marketing God.

I just want to brag.

I'm currently going for my MBA. A class I took last quarter for Sales Promotion had a project where we had to help a local winery develop a marketing plan.

First off, check out this website that I created for my group's presentation. Not bad for one night's work, huh? Second, I have to say that the wine is C-R-A-P. It's so sweet that I wanted to rinse my mouth with Boone's Farm. He uses a ton of TABLE SUGAR in his wine to sweeten it. It's all brewed in Stainless Steel. No wooden barrel conditioning. Just disgustingly horrible wine.

My group scored the top honors in the class. Thanks more than a little to my leadership, we hit it BIG.

So, if any of you ever want to sell your stuff, hit me up for some Marketing advice if you need it. I AM A GREEK GOD when it comes to Marketing. even though I'm not Greek.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2005, 04:53 AM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dam I hate you marketing scum! I especially detest you because I know you're the difference between Bill Gates and bankruptcy, but I loath you nevertheless.

Having said that tho, I've got some software that you could help me with Oh yeah, and a chili recipe, and some bbq sauce, and this idea I've got for an Irish/Mexican brew pub

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 08-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
Shmohel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Irish/Mexican brew pub
Speaking of Irish/Mexican bars, anyone ever been to that place in Boston. I think it's called Pepe O'Malley's or somethng of that sort. One hell of a good time.

----- ahop -----
http://www.recipetavern.com

Old 08-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good website, but you are more of a marketing nymph or sprite. Doing well in marketing class only gets you to that level. My buddy's dad retired a few years ago from being the head of marketing for Wal-Mart. HE is a marketing god. Therefore, you are only a nymph.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:14 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, we have a Carlos O'Kelly's around here.

I've never seen anything resembling Irish on the menu's though.

As far as a marketing god...well, maybe in your own mind (not that however many times you say it won't make it true)...but like lawyers, most marketers create, cover-up, and perpetuate lies for the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

In the end consumers learn the product is crap via "word-of-mouth" (which is free) and will steer clear of the product. A chocolate covered turd is still a turd.

The trouble is that companies haven't acknowledged that most educated people see right through the BS and hype and don't buy a product for the same reason it's touted to be. (I never had a "Bud Select" for instance...actually I haven't had a A-B product since 1975...and I'm not going to change my mind about it anytime soon...but there's a lot of people who only drink Bud. Their loss.)

A marketers salary is paid directly by the consumers in the price of the item. Too bad. It's just a write-off to the company so they have no intrinsic value, attachment or loyalty to the product.

I have to give you credit though and was very pleased that you at least told us the REAL truth about the product (though I'm certain your presentation said nothing to that effect). Congrats!

Just be wary of the twisted lip service lawyers call "truth in advertising".

Old 08-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #6
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, sometimes you can screw yourself by being so jaded about marketing and new products. I had my first Bud Select at a bar about 6 months ago and now my roommates and I drink it more than Miller Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, etc. It's actually very good for what it is.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:16 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowain
Well, sometimes you can screw yourself by being so jaded about marketing and new products. I had my first Bud Select at a bar about 6 months ago and now my roommates and I drink it more than Miller Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, etc. It's actually very good for what it is.
So true.

Funny quote you have there, "It's actually very good for what it is." So does that make it bad for what it isn't?

I heard, from someone who has tried it, that it tastes like a watered down version of a light beer and more like seltzer water than Bud Light.

Hard to believe....

Old 08-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #8
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I meant that it is quite good for a low calorie domestic beer to drink at bars, clubs, etc. I completely disagree with the Bud Light comment. Bud Light is the beer that I would equate closest to water out of any beer I have ever tasted. Bud Select is more along the lines of a Coors Light, Miller Light or Michelob Light in its flavor and I actually like its aftertaste better than Miller Light when comparing the two back to back.

You should try one. I got my first few for free at a bar b/c I was drinking Miller Light at the time. The rep saw what I was drinking and apparently that's their target market with Bud Select. They've already got Bud Light for the high school kids and college girls, so they're going after the other domestic beer drinkers.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
I meant that it is quite good for a low calorie domestic beer to drink at bars, clubs, etc. I completely disagree with the Bud Light comment. Bud Light is the beer that I would equate closest to water out of any beer I have ever tasted. Bud Select is more along the lines of a Coors Light, Miller Light or Michelob Light in its flavor and I actually like its aftertaste better than Miller Light when comparing the two back to back.

You should try one. I got my first few for free at a bar b/c I was drinking Miller Light at the time. The rep saw what I was drinking and apparently that's their target market with Bud Select. They've already got Bud Light for the high school kids and college girls, so they're going after the other domestic beer drinkers.
Now that I remember it, I was told the aftertaste was better.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I decline.

AS for what I do drink, well, I usually don't go out to bars. Beer that I buy, has to be something special, so I would say that about 99% of the beer I drink, I brew myself.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #10
Toilet Rocker

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
I got my first few for free at a bar b/c I was drinking Miller Light at the time. The rep saw what I was drinking and apparently that's their target market with Bud Select. They've already got Bud Light for the high school kids and college girls, so they're going after the other domestic beer drinkers.
This in ingenius. You, my friend, are brilliant! If only the local brewpub that serves others' beers as well would try to sway me like that.

When people ask what I do for a living, I say I brew beer. No, not as a profession, but to live.

Quick Reply