Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I Almost Died Today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default I Almost Died Today

So me and my friends decide to go white water rafting today and guess what...i almost died. So We are coming up to some class 5 rapids and these babies are intense. We are navigating through the rapids with our guide and we are about to make this huge drop and we go into it sideways. So as we go down the little drop it swings our raft around and tilts it to the side. Sure enough i go plunging into the rapids and i am being thrashed around and pulled under in class 5 rapids. So i am bouncing off of rocks like a pinball and one of my shooes fell off and i nailed a rock and i think my heel is broken. Then i was trying to grab onto rocks on the side but i kept getting sucked under and i nailed my rib on a huge rock. So pretty much i was just getting sucked under and nailing rocks under water. Thats when i thought...im going to die. I started to pray and thinking, "Why is this happening to me?" and then everything started to go slow-mo. And i remebered. Whie i was on the bus from the rafting company going to the river i was sitting there and lying my head back. I was thinking about what i was about to do and then i relized that people have died doing this. So i started to say some prayers and ask for protection. And then one of the guides screamed, "Are u praying dude!!!" and he screamed it infront of the whole bus in front of 40 people. And then all these people were glaring at me. I was a bit embarassed so i told him, "No...i was just lying down humming." After I said that i relized that i had just rejected God. I told a man that I was not praying to my God...that i was rather humming a tune. I knew i should have stuck up to my religion and said, "Yes i am praying because i need protection." I knew i would pay for it later because it nevers is cool with God if u reject Him...read the Bible. So As i am going slow-mo under water I remembered me rejecting Him and i started to pray as i was bobbing up and down and bouncing off of rocks. I said, "Lord, I am sorry for rejecting you. Just please save me and keep me safe." About 5 seconds later I see a guide on the banks throw a rope to me and i grabbed onto it and was pulled out of the rapids. Now i know i should never be ashammed and embarassed to be praying. Im not trying to scare non-believers...just sharring my stories with yall. Now i am clompletely sore

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Very few people know what it is like to swim a class 5 rapid, and I feel your pain. I love running big rivers, but you are right, people die. Four years ago, a friend died on an anual trip we do in the most isolated canyon in the lower 48. He was pinned under for approx 7-8 minutes, and though we were able to get him breathing again, he just wasn't meant to survive. Last year on the same river, Our boat fliped in a hole the size of a Ford van on a 300 yard long, class five rapid, and I thought of him.

We wouldn't do it if it weren't for the adrenalin, and there would be no adrenalin if it weren't for the danger.

Glad to hear you are OK. Ready to do it again?

Corrupt Brewers

Old 07-13-2008, 05:13 AM   #3
fat x nub

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea View Post
Very few people know what it is like to swim a class 5 rapid, and I feel your pain. I love running big rivers, but you are right, people die. Four years ago, a friend died on an anual trip we do in the most isolated canyon in the lower 48. He was pinned under for approx 7-8 minutes, and though we were able to get him breathing again, he just wasn't meant to survive. Last year on the same river, Our boat fliped in a hole the size of a Ford van on a 300 yard long, class five rapid, and I thought of him.

We wouldn't do it if it weren't for the adrenalin, and there would be no adrenalin if it weren't for the danger.

Glad to hear you are OK. Ready to do it again?
Im sorry to here about your friend. I am not sure yet if i will do it again. I was scared ****less. I was having a great time before that happened so idk. I have cuts and bruises all over me....maybe next year

Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 2- empty

-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 07-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #4
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ahhh, get back in it and soon, just not a class 5 for a while again. Glad to hear you are alright.

[I'm back!]

Old 07-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
fat x nub

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickerNu View Post
Ahhh, get back in it and soon, just not a class 5 for a while again. Glad to hear you are alright.
Aight...like i said, i was having a great time before that. And i wish i had a choice to not do the class 5..but we had to go through it to get to the end of the river. They said it was usually a class 4 but there was a huge surge that day and the park ranger declared it a class 5. They guides said it looked like a completely different river. I think i will do it agin next year...but when we get to that part i will move towards the middle of the raft

Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 2- empty

-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:

Old 07-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Out of curiosity, where were you? I went rafting on the middle Ocoee last week. Our guide ask us if we wanted to swim one (of course we said yes) and took us into one of the milder class 4 sideways. I came up under the raft and had a split second of panic so I can only imagine what you were feeling. Glad to hear you are OK (for the most part).

So, we are having a meeting next Saturday at Max Lagers to plan an ATL brewday. So if you feel up to coming...
http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.p...983#post751983

Old 07-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What river, what rapid? Since you're in Atlanta and you said class 5, I'm guessing Chatooga, Section 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
Out of curiosity, where were you? I went rafting on the middle Ocoee last week. Our guide ask us if we wanted to swim one (of course we said yes) and took us into one of the milder class 4 sideways. I came up under the raft and had a split second of panic so I can only imagine what you were feeling. Glad to hear you are OK (for the most part).
I was a canoeist (sp?) until I went to the Ocoee and saw kayakers at Hells Hole. Bought a yak and never looked back. I don't travel much, but I bet I have 100 runs of the Section 3 and a dozen of the Ocoee. Never got the nerve to run Sec 4 past Woodall shoals, but I have run Woodall @ 1.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat x nub View Post
Aight...like i said, i was having a great time before that. And i wish i had a choice to not do the class 5..but we had to go through it to get to the end of the river.
The numbers are there as a guide, but don't let the number spook you too much (or make you over confident). The class of the rapid dictates approximate danger, and hence the skill level need to navigate it successfully. Once you are out of the boatyour bashing about in the rocks and you could have taken just as bad of a beating at a class 3 or 4. I've had to be rescued (not just a throw rope, but pulled from the river) twice. Once was a on a easy class 4 (Chatooga - Eye of the Needle), and the other was on an *easy* class 3 (Nantahala - Lesser Wesser). I lost a fellow paddler at Lesser Wesser about 15 years ago and the worst beating I have ever taken was when I flipped in a class-3 shoals on the Ocoee.

Quote:
So, we are having a meeting next Saturday at Max Lagers to plan an ATL brewday. So if you feel up to coming...
Thanks for the invite, but I've got a 5yr old bday party. That, and I'm 45min below the airport....

Last edited by Philip1993; 07-13-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post
Thanks for the invite, but I've got a 5yr old bday party. That, and I'm 45min below the airport....
Well, I will take the excuse this time. But, you will be at the brew day, right? It will be closer to you since I think Brewiz is going to host.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
fat x nub

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

yeah i went on the Ocoee. It was at the part where the dam was with that waterfall if u know what i am talking about. I was with Ocoee Rafting. I would love to come but I have a friend viting from NY and he HATES brewig.

Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 2- empty

-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:

Last edited by fat x nub; 07-13-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
fat x nub

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pldoolittle View Post
What river, what rapid? Since you're in Atlanta and you said class 5, I'm guessing Chatooga, Section 4?

I was a canoeist (sp?) until I went to the Ocoee and saw kayakers at Hells Hole. Bought a yak and never looked back. I don't travel much, but I bet I have 100 runs of the Section 3 and a dozen of the Ocoee. Never got the nerve to run Sec 4 past Woodall shoals, but I have run Woodall @ 1.7
The guide let me do a bull ride at hells hole...i took a face full of water that shot up my nose (i hate that feeling). That was the last rapid of the trip so i figured if i survived the first scare i should survive hells hole. There were a bunch of kayakers that looked like they were having fun...i was thinkin about kayaking. I am just a bit nervouse to do it by myself though

Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 2- empty

-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:

Quick Reply