Thanks for your help up here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #382
Uncle22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Gang,

I just dug around and found this thread. My wife and I live in Rockaway Beach and stayed put the night of Sandy. We boarded up the house and cleaned up the yard, but didn't think to do much else. I kegged my 2-Can pilsner on the 28th, that was the biggest thing. 8 pm on the 29th and the basement starts taking on water. I am standing in a puddle of water and notice water running out of my electric panel and I quickly kill all the breakers. I was hustling boxes upstairs until I was waist deep in sewage and salt water. I had made a trip outside in knee deep water to get respirators it of the garage when I heard the neighbor screaming for her husband. He was outside (safe) on a mission like mine. I could see the water pouring into a large hole in their foundation. It looked like a waterfall. They and their two dogs evac'd to my house. I looked to the west when I saw a transformer blow and could see the sky was red. I knew it was fire and it was big. Very freaky.
While I was trying to save all the memories and clothing, I cut the gas lines on my keg system, pulled theout of my fridge and hustled them up stairs. I had the 2-can pilsner and the white house honey porter. I apologized to my wife for not getting more essential stuff. She was kinda cool with it. I would grab a box or bag and run it to the top of the basement steps and shove it into the kitchen. I had myself walled in a few times by the stuff. At some point she forbid me to go back down ,probably a smart idea. The water started rising really fast once it stated coming in the windows... I shut off the water and the natural gas and called it a night.

We did start moving everything up to the second floor. We only had our furniture and dishes and such. I have no idea what time any of it was except that it started at 8. We kind of relaxed In the unfinished bedroom with our neighbors. I fixed up the CO2 lines on my kegs and sampled my brews. The neighbors are older and on various mess that forbid the drink. So it was just me. The pilsner I had made before, and it works out alright for me and my extract brewing habit. The porter never tasted quit right to me, could be my method, not sure. In between cups, I would go downstairs to check the water level. It wade it a step and a half from the top of the basement stairs. When I later got back into the basement it was just 3" shy of the ceiling tiles.

I was awake early looking to see what the morning tide would bring, but there were only stunned neighbors walking about. There was all sorts of debris all over the street. There were chunks of boardwalk all the way down by bay which is 3-4 blocks away from the beach. I didn't walk the few blocks up to the beach for three days to see the devastation, I was to busy trying to pump out my basement and get the water and gas back on. I saw a friend on the next block and he had 5' of water in his first floor. It was shocking to see everything.
In the coming days and weeks, as al the neighbors cleaned out their houses and worked their finger to the bones, I made my kegs available to any thirst worker. I had the kegs on the muddy floor of my garage at this point. There is a picture of a group of us covered in filth enjoying Homebrew in front of the garage. I have to find it and post it up for y'all.
My block was tight. Everybody helped everybody and it was great. People were coming by from all over with food and supplies. It's been nuts. I was farkin lucky as hell. My wife and our cats and our neighbors are ok. Some of their homes aren't so good, but they are hanging in. We got electric going on thanksgiving morning, but still don't have heat. That is mostly because of the oil heat to gas conversion and the shortage of boilers.

I hope everybody is getting back on their feet. We are getting there bit by bit, but if I don't keep busy I might start to cry again. And my kegs are empty. And my brewery was under water. All the folks seemed to enjoy the beer though.

Sorry about the ramble.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #383
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle22 View Post
Hey Gang,

I just dug around and found this thread. My wife and I live in Rockaway Beach and stayed put the night of Sandy. We boarded up the house and cleaned up the yard, but didn't think to do much else. I kegged my 2-Can pilsner on the 28th, that was the biggest thing. 8 pm on the 29th and the basement starts taking on water. I am standing in a puddle of water and notice water running out of my electric panel and I quickly kill all the breakers. I was hustling boxes upstairs until I was waist deep in sewage and salt water. I had made a trip outside in knee deep water to get respirators it of the garage when I heard the neighbor screaming for her husband. He was outside (safe) on a mission like mine. I could see the water pouring into a large hole in their foundation. It looked like a waterfall. They and their two dogs evac'd to my house. I looked to the west when I saw a transformer blow and could see the sky was red. I knew it was fire and it was big. Very freaky.
While I was trying to save all the memories and clothing, I cut the gas lines on my keg system, pulled theout of my fridge and hustled them up stairs. I had the 2-can pilsner and the white house honey porter. I apologized to my wife for not getting more essential stuff. She was kinda cool with it. I would grab a box or bag and run it to the top of the basement steps and shove it into the kitchen. I had myself walled in a few times by the stuff. At some point she forbid me to go back down ,probably a smart idea. The water started rising really fast once it stated coming in the windows... I shut off the water and the natural gas and called it a night.

We did start moving everything up to the second floor. We only had our furniture and dishes and such. I have no idea what time any of it was except that it started at 8. We kind of relaxed In the unfinished bedroom with our neighbors. I fixed up the CO2 lines on my kegs and sampled my brews. The neighbors are older and on various mess that forbid the drink. So it was just me. The pilsner I had made before, and it works out alright for me and my extract brewing habit. The porter never tasted quit right to me, could be my method, not sure. In between cups, I would go downstairs to check the water level. It wade it a step and a half from the top of the basement stairs. When I later got back into the basement it was just 3" shy of the ceiling tiles.

I was awake early looking to see what the morning tide would bring, but there were only stunned neighbors walking about. There was all sorts of debris all over the street. There were chunks of boardwalk all the way down by bay which is 3-4 blocks away from the beach. I didn't walk the few blocks up to the beach for three days to see the devastation, I was to busy trying to pump out my basement and get the water and gas back on. I saw a friend on the next block and he had 5' of water in his first floor. It was shocking to see everything.
In the coming days and weeks, as al the neighbors cleaned out their houses and worked their finger to the bones, I made my kegs available to any thirst worker. I had the kegs on the muddy floor of my garage at this point. There is a picture of a group of us covered in filth enjoying Homebrew in front of the garage. I have to find it and post it up for y'all.
My block was tight. Everybody helped everybody and it was great. People were coming by from all over with food and supplies. It's been nuts. I was farkin lucky as hell. My wife and our cats and our neighbors are ok. Some of their homes aren't so good, but they are hanging in. We got electric going on thanksgiving morning, but still don't have heat. That is mostly because of the oil heat to gas conversion and the shortage of boilers.

I hope everybody is getting back on their feet. We are getting there bit by bit, but if I don't keep busy I might start to cry again. And my kegs are empty. And my brewery was under water. All the folks seemed to enjoy the beer though.

Sorry about the ramble.
Ramble on...I am sure it helps. My family is also in Rockaway. I grew up and lived there until I made the move out west 14 years ago. My parents house and block were pretty lucky over all considering some of my friends on SFP and Breezy are w/o homes. My sister that Rogers is going to have a Hurricane Donna party. She also said that the dollar store on 116 is gouging the $$$ out of people.
Pm me your address and I will send you some Colorado beers to tide you over.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #384
Uncle22
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

image-2611089270.jpg

Here is the picture of a few of my neighbors and I enjoying kegged Homebrew on the second weekend after Sandy. The woman on the right is NYPD and the fella in front of her is FDNY. The rest of us a just folks. I'm the short fella in the middle. I wish the kegs were in the photo. They ended up in the garage to try and keep them refrigerated... Which worked out pretty well. We all worked like dogs from early other morning until dark.At a certain point in the afternoon, it was deemed Beer:30 and work was paused here and there for a beverage. Most days, somebody was grilling dogs and burgers and feeding anybody within hearing. I was happy to provide my brews.

Anyhow, I hope everyone affected is holding it together.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #385
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

I like how the fireman is double fisting

Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 AM   #386
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

I recognize the cop but can't place the face. Does she work in Brooklyn?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #387
Uncle22
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber
I like how the fireman is double fisting
One pilsner, one porter ;-)

Quick Reply