Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Hurricane Sandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #351
2BeerSpeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well being a lineman on storm trouble is kinda like being a mushroom...they feed us $#!+ and keep us in the dark....we ended up in the Pocono Mtns! They said where we were headed in NY got evacuated, who knows where we are headed but on a brighter nott we finally got a motel room and a hot shower! Upset that Tommy Chong didn't win the election....think I'm moving to Colorado!

Keg #1 --- ....Empty
Keg #2 --- Highland Brewing- Cold Mtn. Winter Ale
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider
Keg #4 --- (Nitro) ....Empty
Keg #5 --- Birdsong Brewing- Mexicali Stout
Keg #6 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Knuckle Dragger IIPA
Keg #7 --- Skull Camp Brewing- Lazy Bones Porter

2 Beer on untapped: https://untappd.com/user/2beerspeer

boscobeans Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #352
2BeerSpeer

Recipes 

In NJ now, how are things your way airborne?

Keg #1 --- ....Empty
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider

Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #353
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Speer,

Is this new storm going to affect your efforts?

Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #354
2BeerSpeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainSafe
Speer,

Is this new storm going to affect your efforts?
I'm sure it'll prolong the outages! We're in Flemington NJ now and the snow is coming down pretty hard...getting windy too. It's gonna be a while before I see NC!

Keg #1 --- ....Empty
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider

Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #355
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So, coupla things. Anytime the proverbial stuff hits the fan in NJ and you need gas--head down the NJ Turnpike AWAY from NY and the Parkway. I have friends who work for Rutgers and they need to be at work during crappy weather. The Turnpike gas stations around 8A (both NB and SB) are on 24/7, stocked with fuel multiple times a day and are run on diesel gen backup. They NEVER run out of fuel and saved me this week. Sorry I couldn't offer this up earlier but things have been...you know...crazy!

Also, anyone who's heard the stories about the unions strong arming nonunion crews from out of state...sorry it's true. Except, the towns didn't turn them away. The Locals (that's what we call the mafia here lol) get a perverse thrill out of forcing others to pay their dues especially when the crew originates from a Right to Work state. When the union realized they had a PR nightmare on their hands, they walked it back a bit. Read the union contract here and tell me if YOU would sign this to drive hours away, sleep in a tent, and be away from your family for a month. All things being considered I think they linemen are doing a great job and it really irks me when I hear people complaining when they see these guys eating or catching a snooze. They are doing dangerous work in crappy conditions, please show some appreciation!

We fared well from the storm in Piscataway, no flooding in my house but the winds hit 82 in my town and the treefall was devastating. Almost everyone in the state suffered massive power outages. By Wednesday the gravity of the situation set in for most: it was dark and we were on our own for a few days. I was only without power/internet/cel for five days; having a generator and fireplace made it tolerable. My brother, sister, and mother are still on generator power tonight. A looter attempted to blind my brother’s security cameras with spray paint but he successfully defended his home and family. Thankfully, all of my friends and family are warm and safe through a combination of advance preparations and the generosity of others. Advance prep made the difference. I took time to clean gutters, extend downspouts, move items inside, and check the gen and sump pump. For me it was more a wind event than a rain event, my two 50 year old pin oaks took a beating but are still standing! My sump never even turned on, not even once.

The fuel lines were really bad but those have mostly subsided. New Jerseyans--for all their perceived lack of patience--really stepped up this week and demonstrated humanity that I never thought possible. You still won’t find this patience on our roads though. ;-)

Sandy pretty much hit the pause button on life for a full week. My thoughts are with those that lost loved ones and homes, or who are cold tonight. Many weren’t as fortunate as we were. Boardwalks are gone from Atlantic City, Seaside Heights, and Point Pleasant. Many homes were pushed off of their foundations. My High School remains buried in 6 feet of sand. It’s below freezing at night and lots of homes in my town are still without power. It will take months or years for things to return to normal around here.

If you don’t have a generator, I strongly encourage getting one along with a few gas cans. Even if you’ve prepared, it’s likely your neighbor didn’t/couldn't. It’s very hard to tell an elderly couple or a family with kids that they can’t plug in or that you have to turn the generator off to conserve fuel. When I realized that others had come to rely on my generator and the temps dropped to 30 at night, I improvised a fuel storage solution and was able to provide comfort for others. This really put it all in perspective for me. I used two 15G blue HDPE extract barrels, bought gas on 8A SB in about 20 odd sized gas containers that I borrowed from folks, then dumped them into the barrels and hit the stop at 8A NB on the way home. This allowed me to store about 46 gallons which ran my gen and my neighbors for 48 hours. Sadly, they'll never make beer again but they have MVP status IMO.

I am really glad that I work for Cisco. I WFH full time and it allowed me to be closer to my family in the final hours and to have more time to prepare. I'm handling some very large projects and my boss told me to take as much time as I need and take care of my family. Some of my friends were forced to commute and spent precious hours on trains or in lines getting to loved ones. They missed getting the basics and had a tough time.

This was the most surreal experience I’ve ever been through. I've been in hurricanes before in North Carolina and watched 15 feet of snow fall in two days in the Sierra. I've never seen this kind of devastation It renewed my faith in humanity and put quite a few things in perspective. I will certainly never take a gallon of gas for granted and will have lots of gas cans for next time!

Today, I have much to be thankful for and I’m glad to be back at work!

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons
Airborneguy Likes This 
Old 11-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #356
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BeerSpeer View Post
In NJ now, how are things your way airborne?
Still working! My wife and kids have power though because of your compadres, so I'm a happy camper. Stay safe.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #357
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Nice story shroomz, you're a good guy.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #358
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do linemen normally have to sleep in tents/cots when they travel? http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...rom_acros.html

This kinda pisses me off. 12 hours in the freezing cold: thanks, here's your tent, 4000 smelly dudes, and your box lunch soldier. I guess it's still a state of emergency but I figured we'd put them in motels at least? Perhaps trot out all the available virgins that our city has to offer? Feed them steak once a week. I hope the pay is worth it; if not then hopefully a huge THANK YOU! will suffice. Inglorious work you guys are doing, thank you for helping us.

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 11-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #359
CreamyGoodness
Recipes 

Liked 1777 Times on 1232 Posts
Likes Given: 3029

Unfortunately, since I have the mixed blessing of a securid to work from home, I havent been able to donate any time. Best I could do was a little money to the red cross and some blankets to a local family that still have power out. Thanks guys, you are all amazing.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:54 AM   #360
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just found out my power wont be restored till Sunday. That, and theres already over 6 inches of snow on the ground. Theres a small hardware store by my parents house that has generators in stock so i already put my foot down with the wife and told her of my next purchase. I love my parents but theres a reason I moved out. Having a wife and two kids doesn't make it any easier to live with them. Hey, at least they have a fully stocked bar.

Mikeysab on untappd.

Quick Reply