Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > HR 5843 Personal Use Marijuana

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
MikeFlynn74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default HR 5843 Personal Use Marijuana

H.R. 5843, an "Act to Remove Federal Penalties for Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults," has been inroduced in the House of Representatives by Representatives Barney Frank and Ron Paul.

Would be very interesting to see a good valid arguement against this. But we all know where this is going.

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74
H.R. 5843, an "Act to Remove Federal Penalties for Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults," has been inroduced in the House of Representatives by Representatives Barney Frank and Ron Paul.

Would be very interesting to see a good valid arguement against this. But we all know where this is going.
Imagine the tax possibilities.....

EDIT: If Marijuana was legal
On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Old 04-21-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULE
Imagine the tax possibilities.....

EDIT: If Marijuana was legal

You know I was talking to a friend about this last night. leagilizing and taxing the crap out of pot could empty out our over crowded prisions of some non-violent criminals, and provide enough tax income to.... Oh I dont know.... Better fund our schools? Lower the personal income tax? Expand the immigration and naturilization service so it dosn't take someone 12 years to become a citizen leagaly? Provide healthcare to US citizens?

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I just love that it's being spondered by BARNEY FREAKIN' FRANK and RON FREAKIN' PAUL. They don't get much more diametrically opposed that those two!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed
Better fund our schools?
Our schools are funded just fine, they just don't know how to use it properly. We throw more and more money on schools every year and kids continue to do poorly. The Unions answer is MORE MONEY.

It's BS. In Europe, the money follows the student, so schools need to be competitive or the money leaves as goes the students.

Schools don't need more money, they just need to get rid of the NEA so incompetent teachers can be sacked and boated administrations can be trimmed.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

While I like the idea of legalization and taxation - we've seen what they've done to tobacco.

Even if the government would legalize and tax the crap out of it - people would still find the cheaper alternative. The way the government would work, it would cost $45 a joint after taxes and surcharges and fees. Meanwhile, your local dealer can probably sell you a half Z for that price.

Of course, once the gov't sets a price, the dealers will probably up their prices too making it too expensive to smoke.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

jezter thats a chance Im willing to take!
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74
jezter thats a chance Im willing to take!
I see both sides of this one. Yes, I would like it to be legal so that I didn't have to meet someone at 2am in a dark parking lot and be fearful of the cops. I would like to take a drug test for work and not worry about pot being caught and me losing my job.

However, I'm also not looking forward to paying ungodly expensive rates for what really is a low class drug. I like smoke, it's good stuff - but if they end up making it so expensive that the people who currently smoke it can't afford it (let's just say it - in general it's the lower-middle class to poverty level that are the hefty percentage of smokers) - it isn't going to do any good.

I think that legalizing it will allow people like you, who CAN afford it, to smoke a few times - you'll likely get bored of it once it's legal and you'll stop. Meanwhile, your less than decent part of humanity will still be breaking into cars and houses to steal CDs and DVDs and selling them for drugs - the only difference is where they get them.

For legal marijuana to have a net positive effect, it needs to be easily accessible to the masses at a price that doesn't cause people to turn to drastic measures (steal, stop feeding their families) to support their smoking habit.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts

I'd like to see what a bottle of booze cost during prohibition. I would think cost will be dependant on supply and demand just like everything else.

On Deck: LD's Summer Ales, LD's IIPA

Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 105

A lot would depend on HOW marijuana was legalized - totally free market, or got-to-some-government-agency-to-pick-it-up legalized. Reasonably unregulated, I bet you'd see the market develop like the markets for tobacco or liquor, where you've got both the ultra-cheap, ultra-nasty stuff and really high-end product.

You've got to figure, too, that SOMEONE's making a huge profit on pot sales right now, probably not the street dealer but someone's making a lot of money. You figure there's a huge premium to be had because of the punishment if arrested and because of the artificial scarcity.

What the NEED to do is include it in the farm bill - how much would it help poor farmers up here in New England to be able to LEGALLY grow some pot on the side?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply