*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > how pissed does it make you...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
blawjr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default how pissed does it make you...

when you see these big beer company ads on TV talking about "triple hops brewed, vortex bottle, never watered down...bull**** bull**** bull****" ughh every time I see one now days it just makes me angry!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

It's not your company. You don't have to buy or drink their beer. Relax. Focus on your own brewing. Save your sanity for something more important.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Meh, doesn't bother me at all. If marketing embellishments angered me, I'd be one up tight dude. Not worth it.

Besides, the majority of our population enjoy light lager when choosing a beer. Why should I care where and how my neighbor spends his/her paycheck? Not my business.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
pksmitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Apparently, not as pissed as it makes you.

They're trying to sell a product. They're simply marketing to the dumb masses.

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! W.C. Fields

Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It doesn't piss me off at all, no more than any other commercials for any other product.

Craft/imported beer has been around and available to me sine I turn 21 in 1980-something, I choose to drink it. But despite that billions of people choose to make american light lagers their tipple of choice. So what? That is their choice, and the big breweries do a great job of perfecting that difficult style to brew, and turning it out consistantly.

If people didn't like it, they wouldn't be brewing it. There's plenty of beer on this planet, and people can choose to drink what they like, and I drink what I like.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

COLD FILTERED!!!!!!! has so improved my processes.

i don't think the op is pissed. He is indignant.

It is funny, but it isn't just that they are fooling the unwashed masses, people want to believe the BS. They want to argue over whether the vortex makes miller better, or whether it is the tender loving care with which they triple hop.

There is no arguing with them (unless you want to join the "less filling, tastes great" inane discussion). They will find their own way or not, but don't let it get to you.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Not as pissed as a Tripel.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
They want to argue over whether the vortex makes miller better, ....
But realistically it's not a bad idea, it's really no difference than the Sam Adam's glass with the rough bottom to provide nucleation sites to help kick up the co2 which in turn lifts the flavors and aroma to our nose and certain taste buds. No different that using the "proper" glasswear for the style of beer.

People get pissed off because BMC did it, but in reality it's a principle that few true beer/wine enthusiast would argue that it doesn't had merit.

The other point about the bottle is that it ALSO promotes what we beer geeks know is the proper way to drink a beer....from a glass.

If we paid 700+ dollars and pulled a vortex bottle out of a stuffed squirrel from Brew Dog first, we'd be raving about the vortex bottle as a revolution in beer appreciation, or if it came from Dogfish Head, we'd want to suck Sam Caligione's weenus for his brilliance, but because it came from a macro brewery beer snobs look at it with disdain.....Instead of the fact that it does have some merit.

Same with Triple hopped...You know most other light american lagers, and many low IBU German style beers have only ONE hop addition? My Vienna Lager only has one, for bittering. So, Miller decided to do 3 additions like many ales, and it actually does have a bit more hop aroma/flavor. So they decided to promote the fact that it's different from BUD...What's the big deal?

And how different really is it with us creaming our jeans over 30, 60 and 120 minute IPA? It's ok because it's a Micro brewery?

At least in their own way they are teaching the american populace a tiny bit more about hops then they would have known. It might even encourage some folks to try hoppier styles of craft beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Actually quite the opposite for me. I usually get a good laugh out of those commercials.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
But realistically it's not a bad idea, it's really no difference than the Sam Adam's glass with the rough bottom to provide nucleation sites to help kick up the co2 which in turn lifts the flavors and aroma to our nose and certain taste buds. No different that using the "proper" glasswear for the style of beer.

People get pissed off because BMC did it, but in reality it's a principle that few true beer/wine enthusiast would argue that it doesn't had merit.

The other point about the bottle is that it ALSO promotes what we beer geeks know is the proper way to drink a beer....from a glass.

If we paid 700+ dollars and pulled a vortex bottle out of a stuffed squirrel from Brew Dog first, we'd be raving about the vortex bottle as a revolution in beer appreciation, or if it came from Dogfish Head, we'd want to suck Sam Caligione's weenus for his brilliance, but because it came from a macro brewery beer snobs look at it with disdain.....Instead of the fact that it does have some merit.

Same with Triple hopped...You know most other light american lagers, and many low IBU German style beers have only ONE hop addition? My Vienna Lager only has one, for bittering. So, Miller decided to do 3 additions like many ales, and it actually does have a bit more hop aroma/flavor. So they decided to promote the fact that it's different from BUD...What's the big deal?

At least in their own way they are teaching the american populace a tiny bit more about hops then they would have known. It might even encourage some folks to try hoppier styles of craft beer.
Its nice to know someone else thinks the same way I do about this BMC advertising. A little over the top at times, yes, but at least they're advertising the beer, not dogs being bartenders or doing home improvements with a case of beer.

The sad thing about the vortex bottles is 1. Their name, vortex sounds kinda cheezy imho and 2. Most people who order a bottle of miller are going to drink it straight from the bottle. I doubt the effects are the same as if pouring into a glass.

Quick Reply