Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How often is too often?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
SmokeNbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default How often is too often?

This question's been rolling around my head for a few months now.
We're all beer fans. Hell, we homebrew. Par for the course. I'm not really considering the health affects so much here, or what the book definition of alcoholism is- BUT I'd like to hear from everyone in what they personally feel is too much. How often is too often?

Personally, there was a time when I felt once a week was too much. Now, beer is sometimes part of my meal plan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 128

1-2 drinks daily are a recommended activity for your health. Lowers blood pressure, chance of stroke, chance of heart attack.

When you're getting fatter from beer calories, that's probably too much. Of course, brewing burns tons of calories, so...

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Jayhem Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Well, I don't drink much soda or tea. I drink coffee in the morning, usually. So it's almost only beer and water for me after work. As far as how much is too much, many studies have shown that there are correlations between good health and 1-2 drinks per day, while any more than that (for the average male) starts to become detrimental long term.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 328 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 532

There seems to be a lot of *****-ing out on the homebrew forums lately.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

its not so much about frequency as it is about quantity. more than 1-2 servings of alcohol (1 serving = 1.5oz distilled liquor, 5oz of wine, or 12oz of beer) a day would be considered over indulging. I'd say if you have over 2 more than 2 times a week you could cut back, but to each there own. For me I don't drink on work nights because it makes getting up in the morning just that much worse.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Jayhem Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This thread again...

As someone who has worked in a medical capacity, sports trauma but I think the experience is relevant, here is my opinion:

The human body is incredibly complex and each persons body reacts so differently to things that basic generalizations are not possible. I witnessed people(of all different ages and health backgrounds) have horrific and life altering injuries from relatively modest mechanisms of injury. At the same time I witnessed people with horrific MOI that had little to no injury.

Its kind of the same thing as the lady who smokes 2 packs a day for 60 years and lives to 90(my grandma) or the guy who smokes for a few years in college and gets lung cancer at 40 and dies a year later.

Who knows what parts of your body may be resilient and which may me fragile.

My opinion is not to over do it and try to have some focus on healthiness in general(activity and/or diet).

Also, try not to worry about it too much because that's probably worse for you than the bad act itself.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
hopstupid
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 87

A beer or 2 a day is fine any more then that and my body feels it.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman View Post
1-2 drinks daily are a recommended activity for your health. Lowers blood pressure, chance of stroke, chance of heart attack.
Not really... The deleterious effects of ETOH vastly outweigh whatever positive effects the latest research of the month finds... Not wanting to put a damper on drinking beer in a beer forum but that's how it is. Most people can get away with drinking "moderate" amounts of ETOH and be fine... Simply depends on how healthy one wants to be, genetics, and the luck of the draw....

All else being equal, the less animal products, added fats and oils, ETOH, tobacco and processed foods one consumes, the healthier one will become. How one choose to deviate from this and how far one can push the boundaries an individual thing. Drinking beer, wine, and other ETOH is fine... probably not a good thing to perpetuate the meme that it actually is good for people though... Now, waiting to see the links about how ETOH is good for you to start coming in...

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

JohnnyO Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsk View Post
Not really... The deleterious effects of ETOH vastly outweigh whatever positive effects the latest research of the month finds... Not wanting to put a damper on drinking beer in a beer forum but that's how it is. Most people can get away with drinking "moderate" amounts of ETOH and be fine... Simply depends on how healthy one wants to be, genetics, and the luck of the draw....

All else being equal, the less animal products, added fats and oils, ETOH, tobacco and processed foods one consumes, the healthier one will become. How one choose to deviate from this and how far one can push the boundaries an individual thing. Drinking beer, wine, and other ETOH is fine... probably not a good thing to perpetuate the meme that it actually is good for people though... Now, waiting to see the links about how ETOH is good for you to start coming in...

I was with you til you started about animal products...

I could starting talking about specific amino acids among the other nutritional benefits found in meat but not vegetables but in general to say that a balanced diet that includes lean protein is not beneficial to health is IMO a bit ridiculous.

I do however agree with your characterization of "ETOH". The long and short of it is that alcohol is a drug(and not very different than most of the illegal ones IME) and basically a toxin that your body has to metabolize and remove.

I for one dont see life being as good without beer and cheese or red wine and a porterhouse.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 17

More than one beer per hour is too often.

....just add water.....

Jayhem Likes This 

Quick Reply