Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How often do you fly domestically and do you accrue miles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #21
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I kick them in the shin and roll over their toe with my rolling carryon.
Now that's what I'm talking about

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2008, 03:10 AM   #22
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

sorry, this is late here, but i travel a few times during each month (roughly 2 or 3 times a month) and we use company issued credit cards... i dont ever seen the bill so i'm not to sure what kind of benefits we get...

i do know we get insane car rental deals... and occasionally get bumped to first class here and there.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-24-2008, 06:04 AM   #23
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

I fly somewhere around 20 - 30 times a year, but it tends to be scattered among a lot of different airlines. Nevertheless, I'm elite on two different airlines (Northwest and Frontier). Once you get to elite status, it's easier to keep.

What are you looking to do with your miles? Want free tickets? Sign up for a program, get the credit card, and use it for everything. The Northwest card I use for business expenses buys my family free flights on a vacation every year.

Want upgrades? Try to keep your flights on the same airline. Don't be afraid to ask for upgrades. I've been on flights where I was upgraded just for the asking, because I was nice, polite, and not a PITA. At 6'5", every upgrade is a treat.

Also, don't forget the programs for hotels and rental cars. Those can add up too, and Avis upgrades me nearly every time I go anywhere, because I rent from them almost exclusively.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #24
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You are all a bunch of rich mofos, you know that right? Last time I flew was last year to Vegas. Time before that, out to cali to see my dad back in 199-something.

Even though I live in the vast expanse known as the Northwest, I still prefer to drive everywhere unless it'll take longer than a week to get there.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I've never been on a plane. Never needed to get somewhere that fast and can't afford to go to places where I would.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #26
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I wouldn't do anywhere near this much flying if my company didn't say so. Some people would think it's a perk or luxury to see so many major cities across the U.S. but it's only fun the first few times. After that it's time away from home and the family.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #27
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
SWMBO travels about 8 times per year domestically for work. She just started getting flier miles last month. How long until they start to pay off?
Here's what you do to maximize your miles:

1. Pick a carrier that you think you'll use often (i.e. the biggest at your local airport). Get a credit card that offers miles per every dollar spent (Chase has teamed with nearly all carriers I think).

2. Use that credit card for all purchases you would use cash/debit for. We're in Chicago and United is biggest, so we have a United CC and use it for all purchases of gas, groceries, etc and then just pay it off every month.

3. Find any local grocery stores, gas stations etc. that team up with that carrier to offer bonus miles for accumulated purchases. Dominicks in our area offers additional 250 United miles for every $100 spent.

Before you know it, you'll have enough miles to take pretty regular trips every year.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #28
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I wouldn't do anywhere near this much flying if my company didn't say so. Some people would think it's a perk or luxury to see so many major cities across the U.S. but it's only fun the first few times. After that it's time away from home and the family.
Exactly. People who don't do the road-warrior thing sometimes see it as glamorous. For the first 5-10 trips, I can maybe see that. Afterward, it's just a pain. Even the thought of going out to our Honolulu office doesn't excite me much because (1) I'll probably have to fly through LAX, which I hate, and (2) I'll have to work while I'm there, which does not mean consuming mai tais on the beach.

Travel sucks, so you just do what you can to improve it.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #29
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775
Here's what you do to maximize your miles:

1. Pick a carrier that you think you'll use often (i.e. the biggest at your local airport). Get a credit card that offers miles per every dollar spent (Chase has teamed with nearly all carriers I think).

2. Use that credit card for all purchases you would use cash/debit for. We're in Chicago and United is biggest, so we have a United CC and use it for all purchases of gas, groceries, etc and then just pay it off every month.

3. Find any local grocery stores, gas stations etc. that team up with that carrier to offer bonus miles for accumulated purchases. Dominicks in our area offers additional 250 United miles for every $100 spent.

Before you know it, you'll have enough miles to take pretty regular trips every year.
Thanks! I'll look into the card. We have been using Continental every time so we haven't lost anything in that area...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #30
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you shop at Shoprite, get the price plus card. You can sign up for onepass credits so that every dollar spent is a mile.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply