The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How to not look ignorant in Europe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default How to not look ignorant in Europe

I'm going to be in Europe for 2 weeks; specifically Germany, Austria, and Greece. I've been out of the US several times, but not to Europe. I'm wondering some things and maybe you guys can help. Are you really supposed to wear a money belt to protect your money/passport? I've read some forums that recommend them, but the posters seem to be older paranoid people. I have been to NYC about 1000 times without being pick pocketed. I dress more functionally than fashionably, like wearing trail running sneakers and cargo shorts when sightseeing. Is dressing like this blatantly American? I'm guessing my Yankees hat isn't the best idea, right? I don't have any issues with people knowing I'm an American, I just don't want to step on any toes culturally. I definitely subscribe to the "when in Rome" attitude. I'm just not sure how they do things in Rome...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

no matter what you do, people in Europe are going to assume you are just another stupid American. just the way it goes.
and those money belt things are as dumb as it gets. no reason for them. i have been all over the world, and i don't change much no matter where i am going.

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 09-22-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
STAD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I haven't been to Europe, but have a group of friends who just went. I think that the crime there isn't so upfront and physical as it is here. You probably aren't going to get a weapon pulled on you, and I doubt they would use force. I think the big thing is pick pocketing. The ultimate goal is to get your valuables without you noticing. If you were to catch them in the act, I've heard that in most cases they flee. I would say keep your wallet in your front pocket, but then again, we should always do this when in a questionable or unknown area.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerBrew View Post
no matter what you do, people in Europe are going to assume you are just another stupid American. just the way it goes.
and those money belt things are as dumb as it gets. no reason for them. i have been all over the world, and i don't change much no matter where i am going.
That was my initial feeling. I'm not going to fool anyone, so why do anything differently? I just don't want to offend anyone. Being that I'm not easily offended, I want to make sure I know what's acceptable. The money belt idea is just lame to me...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 09-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Keep your wallet and passport in your front pocket and you will be fine. I personally spent most of my time in Europe on business so the dress issue didn't make me stand out completely. Watch out for kids bumping into you in public spaces as the pickpockets like this distraction.

Having said that you will be fine. I have been to Europe dozens of times and never had a problem. Make sure to eat at good local restaurants and not touristy places, since you are going to Greece a good Tarvena with simple seafood is great. I did not know that I liked octopus until I had it grilled over real charcoal.

My favorite things about Europe were the history and food ( including beer and wine ),

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 AM   #6
hoss75
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

For the money belt, it dpends where you are and who you are. If you're always alert and a little more worldly, you can do without the money belt. Howeer, pickpocketing is worse at Euopean tourist centers than anywhere in the US and Canada. So, if you look like a tourist, are in a crowded place, and not on guard..... you'll be a target. I'e been to europe a number of times and never had a problem, but know a lot of people that have been hit, both Europen and American travelers.
The other thing I learned, if you make an attempt to speak their language, it goes a long way to show you're trying and people will make a better effort to help you.
Also in my experience, its only im major cities that Europeans 'hate' Americans, and its usually only young people. Europeans are generally very friendly, and many will go out of their way to show you a good time.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #7
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

wear a fanny pack.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Manny Pack 1st and 3rd Definition.
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleymonster View Post
wear a fanny pack.
dont forget plain white sneakers!

Old 09-23-2008, 01:12 AM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 13

We are only less loud than Aussies. Keep it down.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply