Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How much water @ mash-out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
jlipking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much water @ mash-out?

Newbie question here. I'm using a recipe from Norther Brewer for a 5gal batch/5.83gal boil. The recipe calls for a sacch rest @153 degrees. The strike volume is indicated as 14.25quarts @167.5 degrees. But then it calls for a mash out to 170, but it does not indicate a volume or temp.

Is a simpleton like myself supposed to do the math and figure it out on my own? I don't think I have enough fingers to count-up this formula.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

easy way is to use a collection bucket with gal markes on it so you can see how much wort you collect on your first runnings.. then just add enough sparge water to the mash that would bring both runnings to your pre-boil target!!

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

BTW. i would shoot for 6.5 pre-boil volume... 1 hour boil is around a gallon boil-off. then 5.5 into the fermenter wich after all the trub and yeast would leave you with around 5 gallons of finished beer.. the gravity might not be what the kit states though..

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

If you're batch sparging, you can skip the mash out and just do the batch sparge.

If you're fly sparging, you'd add enough boiling/hot water to bring your entire mash up to 168 or so. There are mash calculators online (a free one at rackers.org) or something like Beersmith to figure how much for sure. It's a calculation, and I'm sure you could do it by hand but I'm no math whiz, so I use software to figure it.

Quick Reply