Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How much do you drink?
View Poll Results: How much do you drink and how often?
I drink 1 time per week on average. 3 2.42%
I drink 2 times per week on average. 9 7.26%
I drink 3 times per week on average. 19 15.32%
I drink 4 times per week on average. 11 8.87%
I drink 5 times per week on average. 19 15.32%
I drink 1-3 drinks per week. 5 4.03%
I drink 4-7 drinks per week. 29 23.39%
I drink 7-10 drinks per week. 22 17.74%
I drink 10-12 drinks per week. 9 7.26%
I drink 12 or more drinks per week. 46 37.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
RealFloopyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default How much do you drink?

*Please pick how many times AND how many beers a week you drink in the poll.*

Recently, some of my fellow HBT members suggested I may have a drinking problem. It is entirely possible, but I was reading about how much others drink. I would assume that most of the people here drink more than the average person drinks, given that we brew beer in one capacity or another.

Here is a Gallup poll that I am going to show some things from:

Who Drinks?

According to the aggregated data, 63% of Americans report that they drink alcoholic beverages such as liquor, wine, or beer, while 37% totally abstain. Men are more likely than women to drink (69% vs. 58%), and adults under 50 are substantially more likely than adults over 50 to drink (70% of adults aged 18 to 49 drink alcoholic beverages, as do only 54% of those over 50).

Drinking Frequency

Occasional drinking does not necessarily indicate a drinking problem, but even small amounts of alcohol can cause slurred speech, slowed reaction times, or impaired judgment. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines "excessive drinking" as an average of more than one drink per day for women, and an average of more than two drinks per day for men.

So how much do American drinkers drink? According to the Gallup data, the mean number of drinks that male drinkers consume in a week is 6.6 (about one per day), compared with 2.9 for female drinkers (less than half a drink per day). Seven percent of female drinkers report having eight or more drinks in the past seven days -- the CDC standard for "excessive drinking" among women. Twenty-one percent of male drinkers report consuming 10 or more drinks in the last seven days, including 9% who said they drank 20 or more -- well over the "excessive drinking" limit for men.

Self-Assessments of Excessive Drinking

Objective measures of how many drinks one has in a week can only go so far in defining problems with alcohol. Regardless of how much a person drinks, alcohol consumption is a problem if it negatively affects the way the person thinks, feels, or interacts with others.

Gallup asked the respondents themselves if they ever drink more alcohol than they should. Nearly a quarter (23%) of drinkers said they sometimes drink more than they should. Again, men outnumber women in this response, and younger drinkers are far more likely than older drinkers to say they drink too much.

*Results are based on telephone interviews with 3,016 national adults, aged 18 and older, conducted in July 2002, July 2003, and July 2004.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Battles4Seattle
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'd be interesting in hearing percentages from different countries. Also it's hard for me to believe surveys to a point, especially if your answers can suggest you have a problem. Meaning I think respondents have difficulty telling the truth out of fear of being labeled an alcoholic.

I love beer, I drink it, and I drink more than 10-12 drinks a week. I drink non alcoholic beer just for the taste. I in no way believe I have a problem.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 191

I do not believe I have a problem.

On average I have 1 drink a night with dinner or after dinner. That makes 7 drinks per week (Mon-Sun).
On the weekend sometimes I have 1 with lunch or 1 extra after dinner. That puts me in the 7-10 per week category.

Edit: Define 1 drink? 12oz, 8oz, 6oz...22oz?

Next:On hold
Primary: EMPTY
Secondary: Ice Cider with store bought frozen concentrate (9/15/14)
Bottled: Smoker Toasted Oatmeal Stout (9/27/14)
Drinking: Freezer Clean Out APA (9/1/14) and Craft Beer

Old 02-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
BrewPharm
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

1 or less each week night. 3-5 on Friday-Sunday depending on schedule. I would say an average of 10-15 per week. Of course it can deviate drastically. Well above or considerably below. The "problem" label fits when it effects daily life. Family. Work. Etc. or when any instance of 1 consistently and unintentionally becomes several. Another symptom of a problem is guilt associated with consumption.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
njporter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

most people will tell you they only drink 2 per night, i sometimes think most people here drink more than that

Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #6
RealFloopyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I wasn't suggesting a certain level of drinking means you have a problem. I drink once a week on average, between 6-10 beers over the course of the evening(4-5 hours).

I was just curious because so many people considered my drinking an extreme amount of beer.

I have never felt guilty about my beer consumption.

What NA beer tastes good? I haven't tried a lot of different kinds. Maybe O'douls, sharps, and St Pauli. I honestly don't enjoy and will rarely take a Budweiser, Corona, Heineken, or the like that is offered to me. I drink tonic water when I am in the mood for non alcoholic drinks usually. Gotta keep the malaria away

Old 02-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
RealFloopyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

That is why I didn't make the poll public, I figured I would get a more honest response.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
RealFloopyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

When I say drinks, I mean 5% 12oz serving.... though when I buy Optimator or something I usually have 4-5 of em if I don't finish the 6 pack. I don't think someone would be very honest saying they have 1 beer if it is a 15% barley wine in a 20oz glass.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
alane1
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by njporter View Post
most people will tell you they only drink 2 per night, i sometimes think most people here drink more than that
I know, could you imagine having your beer buddies over and saying
"I'd love to try that Russian Imperial stout you brought but I already had a glass of homebrew.Sorry, but thanks for the offer".Say what you will but this just does'nt happen, not in real life anyway.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
Vilewhale
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

20 - 30 a week

Quick Reply