Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How many beers in a day is considered too many?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #31
Hefanatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Why did she bring this up? Was there something negative you did or do when you have had a few beers? I think that's the best way to figure out how many is too many. Everyone is different.

“Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.”- Frank Sinatra

“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”- Frank Sinatra

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2011, 03:50 AM   #32
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I try to stay under 2 oz per sip.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:59 AM   #33
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncox View Post
My fiancee and I had a discussion about my beer drinking while at dinner Friday. She understands my passion for craft beers and homebrewing but she has noticed that I am having up to four beers a day. How many beers is considered too much in one day? On average I have at least three everyday but is this too excessive? I don't drink for the buzz although it is nice after a day of work or for a weekend of relaxation, but in general I just love everything about beer. Liquor I don't do even though you will find a half one liter bottle of Jameson that I've had since March. I believe she is mainly concerned about me buying so many cases of beer, but this is a big reason why I have ventured into brewing my own for less expenses each month. Am I a ****ing alcoholic? How many beers do you guys drink in a day?

1. You definitely drink too much. IMHO your fiancee is right. You should cut down and focus more on things like kissing, mowing the lawn (when it need it not when you are all drunk and looking for a good time,) real face to face communication - look at her when you are being criticized man - and for gods sake don't just stick it in, haven't you heard of *foreplay*? Also do you have to ask your buddies about everything? Be a man, listen to her, she knows what is what.

2. 3-5 + tequila

Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #34
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv187u View Post
Everything is good in moderation
To quote Oscar Wild "- Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess." and Dean Karnazes "Moderation bores me."

Just sayin'

Old 08-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #35
sacrifice
Huh?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredAndThirsty View Post
I think beer comes in a six pack for a reason. More than 6 pints is unreasonable.
BUT - it also comes in 12 packs and cases. So, I would figure that more than 24 is unreasonable.

Then again, I have done 3 - 22 oz 12% Strong Dark Belgian Ales after a few tripels. That was somewhat unreasonable, but not really.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #36
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 40

"Everything in moderation, including moderation".

I hate to say it, one might be drinking too much when the SWMBO says "You drink too much". The point being, it's putting stress in your relationship.

I'm a 40-y-old single man, so my numbers are higher than the avg here, but I just started dating an ER doctor, so far I can get away with 2 per date - she has the same number of glasses of wine. Of course I've got 100+ lbs on her and almost a whole foot of elevation. She also lives 75 miles from my place so when I drive back, I need to be careful as it's usually quite late and I certainly don't want to fall asleep driving.

She was quite surprised when I told her that I brew 11-gallon batches...: "What do you do with all of that!". My answer was: I give a LOT of it away, bring to parties, etc. Which is very accurate.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #37
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts

Quote:
I hate to say it, one might be drinking too much when the SWMBO says "You drink too much". The point being, it's putting stress in your relationship.
Don't know that I agree with this. One of my brewing buddies was short on bottles and figured that he needed to drink 1 bottle a day to ensure he had enough to bottle a brew in 2 weeks. His wife freaked out about this. I hardly see 1 beer with dinner as a problem. And don't think anyone would. However she said that was being an alcoholic. Not every SWMBO is rational.

I have 1-3 a day, somethimes none. SWMBO doesn't complain.

Like others said, if it doesn't affect your day to day relationships and activities negatively then it's really not considered a "Problem". However, if my SWMBO didn't like me having 4 beers a day (even though it isn't a problem), I would easily just cut it down to 2-3 a day.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #38
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
One of my brewing buddies was short on bottles and figured that he needed to drink 1 bottle a day to ensure he had enough to bottle a brew in 2 weeks. His wife freaked out about this. I hardly see 1 beer with dinner as a problem. And don't think anyone would. However she said that was being an alcoholic. Not every SWMBO is rational.
I agree 100 pct with you. 1 bottle of beer of day is chump change. And, yes, a SWMBO that complains at the 1/day level is not putting things in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
I have 1-3 a day, somethimes none. SWMBO doesn't complain.

Like others said, if it doesn't affect your day to day relationships and activities negatively then it's really not considered a "Problem". However, if my SWMBO didn't like me having 4 beers a day (even though it isn't a problem), I would easily just cut it down to 2-3 a day.

The point I was trying to make is that if you're arguing with the SWMBO about the numbers, then it IS affecting your day to day relationship with her. Not a good situation to be in.

M_C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #39
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

30, the answer is 30. did anyone see 'Intervention' last night?? damn...

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #40
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I know this topic is old but such an interesting one. Personally I drink on weekends anywhere from 8-12 regular 12 oz bottles. During the week when im working I may have one with supper if im eating something that goes well with beer. I know drinking a dozen bottles is not 'doctor recommended' BUT I eat fairly healthy, exercise daily, maintain a health weight so I am going to continue to endulge in 'excess' on weekends.

Does this make me an alcoholic?? Possibly but I really don't care. I have never missed a say of work in my life due to drinking beer, my SWMBO has absolutely no problem with my consumption (and if she did there are plenty of fish in the sea), and ive never got into any trouble from drinking too much beer.

My thoughts are you get only one chance at life -- we work hard all week. When we have some time to relax at home or go our with friends enjoy yourself we earned it. So I will continue to sit down on a Saturday night watch the Bluejays game and knock back 10+ beers.

I love brewing and love drinking it so I will carry on

Quick Reply