Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How many beers in a day is considered too many?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #21
brewingmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So your fiancé is mad at you for having 4 beers? Whether or not there is agreement or disagreement between the masses on numbers of consumption it doesn't really matter for your marriage. Sounds like a conversation you should have had a long time ago. Compatibility happens on many levels and this is one you should definitely cover before moving forward. I wish you luck.

-cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 AM   #22
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 57

You are the only person who can define you as an 'alcoholic'. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #23
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2031 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

I usually have 1-2 at night after work. On weekends that can range from 2-4 or so, depending on what I'm doing.

But I readily admit I'm a lightweight. I can feel the effects after 2 beers. Not enough to say that I shouldn't drive, but I can tell.

And I get hangovers pretty easy too, so I think I got it made! Cheap date and not likely to develop health problems from drinking! YAY!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #24
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

I try to stay at 2 or less during the week, with at least 2 days of none, and on the weekends (Friday, Saturday and Monday for me), I very rarely go above 3-4. I work out a lot and like to stay in good shape, so I don't like to drink more than that. I don't mind not having a "six-pack" anymore, but I definitely don't want a "Fat Tire" either

Homer, I've noticed that I get easy hangovers now also. I'm starting to figure out that it is tied to high alcohol beers, even if I only have 1-2. If I drink anything over 8%, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get a hang over the next day, even if I didn't get drunk (which I almost never do).

Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #25
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The latest data I've read is as follows:

1) 1 to 2 drinks per day actually decreases health problems below baseline (non-drinkers). Health benefits include decreased heart problems and certain cancers.

2) It has been shown that moderate drinkers have shorter hospital stays than abstainers, indicating that they recover faster.

3) Beer is also a good source of folate, potassium and other minerals that are often deficient in one's diet. This helps to increase the potassium/sodium ratio that is often unbalanced in the typical (high-sodium) Western diet.

4) At 3 drinks per day (2 for females) the health risks generally match those of the baseline (abstainers). Above that, drinkers (of 4 or more drinks/day) have increased health risks.

5) Moderation is the key here. 14 drinks over the weekend does not equal 2 drinks/day over 7 days.

Sources:

interwebs
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/31/earlyshow/health/main5200448.shtml

http://www.forbes.com/2008/03/14/beer-drink-health-forbeslife-cx_avd_0317health.html

"Beer: Health and Nutrition" by Charles Bamforth (a great book; find a copy used - money well spent)

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:
NG line for outdoor burner

Old 08-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I average roughly 1 pint per day, but it is really sporadic for me. I love beer, but I don't think I could drink 4 pints every single day unless I stopped eating.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2031 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I try to stay at 2 or less during the week, with at least 2 days of none, and on the weekends (Friday, Saturday and Monday for me), I very rarely go above 3-4. I work out a lot and like to stay in good shape, so I don't like to drink more than that. I don't mind not having a "six-pack" anymore, but I definitely don't want a "Fat Tire" either

Homer, I've noticed that I get easy hangovers now also. I'm starting to figure out that it is tied to high alcohol beers, even if I only have 1-2. If I drink anything over 8%, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get a hang over the next day, even if I didn't get drunk (which I almost never do).
Well, truth be told, I generally get at least a little tipsy when I drink 1-2 of those big beers. That is when the trouble starts the next day. If I drink 1-2 regular beers, then I don't have a problem the next day.

Also, it's not uncommon for me to also sample 1-2 shots of whatever the girls are passing my way at the card table. I have to be social you know

I don't generally try to take a day off of having a beer. I figure it's probably better for me to have 1-2 beers a day than 1-2 sodas. And my idea of "a beer" can vary with the glass size and how much I fill it. It could be a total of like 20 ounces, or a total of like 32 ounces, depending on the strength of the beer.

Also, 5-hour energy seems to help me not get tired from drinking, and also seems to lessen the hangover the next day. Must be the B vitamins.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #28
sapperxl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife calls me an alchy all the time even tho I keep it 2-3 beers/day and maybe a sixer every sat. I regularly abstain for a day here and there just for good measure but my wife is the daughter of an ex-alcoholic (like a liter/day of vodka) so she is extra paranoid of my drinking. I had two kegerators with 1/2 barrels when we met so she knew I drank, but she still calls me out once and awhile. I just take it as a reminder to do a little self reflection and make sure I'm reasonable with it and then I'll pop the top on a beer, smack her on the a$$ and not worry about it.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #29
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Too many is the point where it starts to have a negative effect on your life, whether it is your health, your goals, daily tasks that need to get done, relationships, etc. In other words, it's a very subjective standard. Quantity alone is rarely a great indication. Is ten 3% beers better or worse than three 10% beers?

For me, if I drink more than 5-6 on the weekend then I start gaining weight from it. I don't want to gain weight, so more than 5-6 per week would be too many for me (on a regular basis -- it's ok to indulge sometimes). However some of you may not have a weight/health concern that prevents you from drinking more or more often.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #30
TiredAndThirsty
Recipes 

I think beer comes in a six pack for a reason. More than 6 pints is unreasonable.

Quick Reply