Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How many beers in a day is considered too many?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
brandoncox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How many beers in a day is considered too many?

My fiancee and I had a discussion about my beer drinking while at dinner Friday. She understands my passion for craft beers and homebrewing but she has noticed that I am having up to four beers a day. How many beers is considered too much in one day? On average I have at least three everyday but is this too excessive? I don't drink for the buzz although it is nice after a day of work or for a weekend of relaxation, but in general I just love everything about beer. Liquor I don't do even though you will find a half one liter bottle of Jameson that I've had since March. I believe she is mainly concerned about me buying so many cases of beer, but this is a big reason why I have ventured into brewing my own for less expenses each month. Am I a ****ing alcoholic? How many beers do you guys drink in a day?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #2
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 12

So I'm not the only one who has had this conversation?! At one point I was up to 6 a day, starting with dinner and continuing till bed time, but not the nights I had to drive anywhere. I don't feel I'm an alcoholic I just enjoy drinking beer. I have cut back but I do drink everyday just not as many.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Normally, I'll pull a pint, or two, when drinking during the week (after dinner). On the weekend, it all depends on what I'm doing. Right now, I'm working on kicking a keg (almost there) so I've been pulling two pints from it each day.

I think it has more to do with what you can handle. As long as you can stop drinking at any point during the day/week and not NEED to have a drink after work, or drink until you're F'd up (not able to stop) I don't think your an alchy. Although to some people having one a day makes you one.

Personally, I drink the beer I brew and wine (when I feel like it). I don't drink any distilled spirits, but I'll cook with them. I don't buy cheap wine, so I make sure I'm either going to finish the bottle within a couple of days, or I'm sharing it with someone and we can finish it that day.

If she's concerned about how much you're spending on purchased beer, then get set up to brew all grain (if you don't already) and get her involved in the process. Make it an activity you can both share. Let her pick some recipes, or come up with some, to keep her interested. Make sure you establish your pipeline early on (if you haven't already) and keep it going.

BTW, as long as you're buying beer in pop-tops, you're just building your supply for bottling. Get set up for kegs, and the bottle sprawl will be greatly reduced. Maybe she just doesn't like seeing all those empties collecting dust (or fruit flies) or full waiting for fridge space.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 08-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
tv187u
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Everything is good in moderation. As long as you moderation isn't a "need" and you aren't drinking to get drunk all the time (the once in awhile weekend bash or whatever is perfectly natural) then you are ok. That has been my way of thinking. This is something I learned after growing up with quite a few alcoholics.

But you have to respect a loved one's concerns. I would take a hard look at yourself and very openly discuss what is considered excessive between you two.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have three beers almost every day. If I get in late from work sometimes two. If I go home for the weekend I'll drink as many as I want sometimes as many as a six pack. I am home to relax after all

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Old 08-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
brandoncox
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses. I didn't mention this but I do know when I've had enough. The most I can handle is a six pack but that is a very rare instance. I've been around and even lived with a few alcoholics during my 23 years and I know what kind of life they live... I don't consider my drinking to be that bad. I respect beer, not abuse it. Just wanted some opinions from my fellow beer advocates!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

The brewing network covered this in 2005, and again in one of their recent shows. Basically, the answers are mixed, but it is universal that beer is good in moderation. The definition of moderation is what is currently being debated. Some doctors say 1-4 pints per night, while some Belgian doctors will attest that up to 9 pints a night is perfectly acceptable, and will reduce someones chances of heart disease and certain types of cancer. Either way, the resounding answer is, as long as it does not affect your health, family, or work, then drink as much as you can handle.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
acuenca
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So yeah... as an MD if someone came in and I asked how many alcoholic drinks do you have in a night and the answer is 7-10... I'm pretty sure that most of us would stage an intervention.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acuenca View Post
So yeah... as an MD if someone came in and I asked how many alcoholic drinks do you have in a night and the answer is 7-10... I'm pretty sure that most of us would stage an intervention.
See, and that's the weird thing. I always lie to my doctor b/c the drinking questionnaire is so anti-drinking it's not even fair. Usually it says how many drinks per day: 1-2 per month, 1-2 per week, 1-2 per day, 3 or more per day. Well, I usually have a pint or two a day, and then on weekends I will normally throw down 8-12 beers in a night. Now, honestly, I feel that even if I said 1-2 per night my doc might even try to tell me to back it off a bit right there. Honestly, I hold down a high paying job in the aerospace industry, I've never had any workplace disciplinary actions, I'm never late for ANYTHING, I never show up to work smelling like booze, and I'm in relatively good shape.

HOWEVER, I know that there are docs out there that would cringe if they knew I was putting down 10-20 beers a week.

Check out alcohol consumption by nations, we are near the very bottom because of our archaic views of alcohol (have a drink alone and you're a raging alcoholic!!!) One of the few things I appreciate about Europe is the view on alcohol, it's not a huge deal.....that and their views on nudity!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #10
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
four beers a day
holy $$&t, I don't have a real job, and partially retired I never drink if I need to go somewhere but I will have a beer or wine with lunch, and sometimes another in the afternoon.
but at night I usually have 6-7 of some of my under 3 abv's church ale
I hate waking up with Irish flu

the brewer makes the beer, not the equipment
let the beer tell you when it is finished

Quick Reply