Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How to get into Scotch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #21
jmo88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I'm an experienced alcohol consumer with lots of experience with excessive alcohol consumption...
hah. Good try. it's much less flattering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #22
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyK View Post
A great introductory single malt, in my opinion, is Auchentoshan. Their basic single malt 750 is usally around the $25 mark, though I've seen it as low as $19. It's a lowland scotch.
Buy this Scotch^^. It is the least expensive one that won't leave you with a bad taste for Scotch.
As for others I adore Oban, Balvenie Doublewood and Laphroaig.

Quote:
One at a time:

1) Do not ice or dilute (unless drinking a cask strength). Neat is the way to appreciate a good scotch. Anything that requires ice to be able to tolerate is not worth ole Randar's time or the calories. Tasting it neat will allow you to actually taste and smell the full character of the whiskey. Icing it just hides aspects of the whiskey that are otherwise lacking.
I feel the need to insert "in my opinion" anywhere in the above statement. The addition of a very small amount of clean, chemical free water allows the scotch to open up and decreases the alcohol bite without detracting from the actual flavor of the scotch. "In my opinion", if you were going to coach a guy on how to learn the appreciation of scotch, you would suggest adding water so he is not turned off by the bite.
Scotch isn't for everyone, fortunately, as none of my friends ever want to share my bottle...

Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #23
schmagy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote "scotch scotch scotch, scotch in my belly!" Ron Burgundy

Do go out and buy Michael Jacksons book on whisky and Jim Murray's whisky bible. http://www.whiskybible.com/
those two books will save you much disappointment and may unearth a gem or two you would not have purchased.

anyone who tells you how to enjoy your own scotch is a duschebag... figure out how you like it and don't apologize. (that said, i will see if you put ice or water in it before i haul out the really rare stuff)

Tamdu is really decent and usually under $20 now that they shut it down and are liquidating the inventory.
Chivas is over priced but many ppl like it, but not for me.

Dewars is a really good low cost drink when all your "special" bottles have taken an a$$whoopin. Johny black is good and available everywhere. Green is even better, Gold is unique and interesting but i would pick many other bottles over it in its price range (try it at a bar or resturaunt) and Blue is expensive

5 scotch's worth my money:
Ardbeg followed by any of the other islay smoke bombs
Balvenie anything: if you can still find any leftover 10 YO, buy it all. I used to get it under $35 but it was under priced. better than the 15yo which is an OUTSTANDING scotch. the 12 is a sherry casked whisky. nearly identical to Macallan 12 (sets the standard for a reason), but in my opinion more complex and fruity.
Suntory Yamazaki, while not technically scotch, is really special and holds a special place in my collection.

The single best scotch i have ever purchased has been Talisker Distillers edition 2005 soooooooooooo mmmm nummy.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #24
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try an example from each of the main scotch regions - in most cases, scotches from a common region have similar flavour profiles. You'll have a hard time finding anything decent for $30, though there are a few bargains out there.

The Islay whisky's are the manliest - lots of smoke, peat and iodine. They'll put hair on your chest, but a newbie may think they've accidentially been poured a glass of diesel. My favourite from this category (actually, my all-time favourite scotch) is Talisker Distillers Edition, but the regular Talisker is pretty good, too. Laphroaig Quarter Cask is also excellent, and the relatively new Ardbeg distillery produces some very tasty products.

The Speyside whisky's are the least manly IMO. Something like aberlour 10yo is easily approachable, and has little to no peat or smoke. It's fruity, caramelly, and toffee-like. The aberlour abunadh is more expensive, but it's a fantastic whisky.

Lowlands whisky is likewise fairly restrained and approachable. I don't care for them.

Highlands whisky is good stuff, generally a bit more peaty (but not usually smoky). I like the Dalmore Cigar Malt, but there's a lot to choose from, and this region shows the most diversity.

Also - try a bottle of amrut. It's not technically scotch (it's made in India) - but it's fantastic, and not too expensive. I'd rate it right up there with the classic Scotch scotches (even above some of them, too).

Old 09-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #25
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hmmm Scotch.

One of my favorite is Isle of Jura Superstition.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #26
cinderbike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I enjoy Glenmorangie, Laphroig and Balvenie myself.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #27
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
Buy this Scotch^^. It is the least expensive one that won't leave you with a bad taste for Scotch.
As for others I adore Oban, Balvenie Doublewood and Laphroaig.

I feel the need to insert "in my opinion" anywhere in the above statement. The addition of a very small amount of clean, chemical free water allows the scotch to open up and decreases the alcohol bite without detracting from the actual flavor of the scotch. "In my opinion", if you were going to coach a guy on how to learn the appreciation of scotch, you would suggest adding water so he is not turned off by the bite.
Scotch isn't for everyone, fortunately, as none of my friends ever want to share my bottle...
I'll echo these recommendations. This is what I was taught in Scotland as well; they always have a pitcher of clean, fresh water when serving scotch, and the drinker will add as much as needed. They told us to add enough water to eliminate the burn, and it seems to work well for me. I also watched the "locals" in a couple pubs, and they seemed to do the same.

I'm personally a fan of the Bavenie DoubleWood, Oban, and pretty much anything from Highland Park. I also like the Talisker, but it's a much different beast, as mentioned before.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #28
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Oh, no you don't get off that easy. You've got to figure it out for yourself. It's like an initiation ritual.
hehe, exactly!

Quote:
I'm an experienced alcohol consumer with lots of experience with excessive alcohol consumption...
And your point? That gives you an excuse to be arrogant and condescending?

Saying something like that is like telling someone that wants to get into good beer to go drink iipas and RIS's. If they don't like them then though **** and they shouldn't drink any beer.
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 09-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #29
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3083 Times on 1937 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
hehe, exactly!

And your point? That gives you an excuse to be arrogant and condescending?

Saying something like that is like telling someone that wants to get into good beer to go drink iipas and RIS's. If they don't like them then though **** and they shouldn't drink any beer.
... Excessive Alchohol Consumption ... . He was taking a stab. Not close, but I like his creativity.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #30
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I like the creativity too but I still stand behind what I said.

Quote:
I was wrong

Quick Reply