Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How far do you drive to your job??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
BlatzBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How far do you drive to your job??

I'm wondering how far you guys drive to your job. I'm looking to buy a house that about 55 minutes away from my wifes work. I'm a rep on the road so it really doesn't matter that much. It's farther away from my territory though, but I like the house. I know the gas is gonna suck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you can, I'd avoid it. That's an hour one way.....and your wife would be doing that twice a day, 5 days a week (depending on her schedule). I live 55-60 miles from work and it takes 60-75 mins. Sometimes longer if there's a wreck. I've been doing the drive for 2 years, and I'm SICK of it. Gas is 200+/month (that's just me, my wife spends about $150). In reality, the biggest problem I've had is that it's damaged my willingness to be involved with people/friends at work. All of our friends are about 1.5 hours away, and nobody wants to come visit because of the drive. Likewise, we don't want to go see them because it's a PITA. Sorry to be Debby Downer, but think REAL hard before you move there. Your relationship with your wife could become strained

Old 05-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Debbie Downer is right...(Sorry Steve... I couldn't resist...)

I live 32 miles from the city and we don't get many visitors for the same reason...which, if you like it that way is not a bad thing.

If you're on the road a lot then I would opt to move closer to where the wife works this way there's one less problem that may arise in the future.

Good luck.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

12.6 each way. Takes about 2/3 of a gallon round trip in my old 10 year old Saturn wagon. 20 minutes on a good day, 35 on a bad one.

I never appreciated it till I worked 7 minutes from work before. The closer you are, the quicker you have access to a home brew.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 978 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 28

5 miles round trip, all back roads for me. Don't think of your commute time as per day. Add it up for a month and think about that. That's 40 hours a month. An extra work week per month. F that.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

4 miles each way. It takes me just as long to walk from my parking garage to to my office at work as it does to drive to said garage from my apartment.

My wife and I used to live 13 miles away in a nice house...but that 13 miles would sometimes equate an hour and half commute (that's an hour and half each way).

Wasn't worth it.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #7
xamers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

20 minutes each way for me.

I would not want to live further away than that. Gas prices+full sized truck = lotsa money down the drain.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #8
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

20 miles each way ... but I go in fairly early so I beat a lot of the traffic. Plus I work from home one day a week so it's not so bad.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
5 miles round trip, all back roads for me. Don't think of your commute time as per day. Add it up for a month and think about that. That's 40 hours a month. An extra work week per month. F that.
Yeah, but that is like almost 42 hours/year for your commute. How do you handle it?

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 05-11-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

I live in a small town, so everything is within 2 miles for me. I'm also going to start working from home, so I won't have to leave the house most days. My husband commutes 40 miles each way, though. We have a small corolla that gets 35 mph, but even so the gas adds up. And of course, it's going higher. And his friends and coworkers from work rarely (if ever) come over this way, unless they make a weekend out of it and stay at our cottage. We can't have beers with them, because of the drive.

Bob likes the commute, though. He listens to NPR and drinks his morning beverage while he drives. Still, I like the way Bobby M mentioned it- and it got me thinking: two hours a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year is 13 full work days each year spent just commuting. Life is too short for that to me. I would never put myself in that situation. But, I don't live in an area where that is usually required.

Quick Reply