Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How do folks who visit the US talk about the US when they go back?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #31
brewingmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
I'm an American and I have no idea what Devil's Tower is either.
Watch close encounters of the third kind...then build one in your living room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:58 AM   #32
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsk View Post
From my experience in traveling the world and living and working part time in Norway... it depends on who you ask and what their education/information level is... kinda like when talking to people in the US about how they feel about life in the US...

Informed people in Scandinavia and most of Europe just shake their heads when talking about the US... Seeing how the US lags behind the more civilized nations (and many not so civilized ones) in virtually every category, long past time to put the false meme of American exceptionalism to bed for good....
Oh, I see, the educated are well informed about what a $h!thole America is, makes sense...I guess.

I like you Norsk. I like you because you make me smile.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 03-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #33
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post

I'm an American and I have no idea what Devil's Tower is either.
Have you seriously never seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind ever, seriously, like for serious?

Then you, sir, might deserve a good background check on whether you are American or not. It's one of the greatest American sci-fi movies ever. Right next to Star Wars: A New Hope, ET, and Jurassic Park.
Kegged: empty :(

Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #34
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsk View Post
From my experience in traveling the world and living and working part time in Norway... it depends on who you ask and what their education/information level is... kinda like when talking to people in the US about how they feel about life in the US...

Informed people in Scandinavia and most of Europe just shake their heads when talking about the US... Seeing how the US lags behind the more civilized nations (and many not so civilized ones) in virtually every category, long past time to put the false meme of American exceptionalism to bed for good....
The only problem is there is no such thing as a "false meme." There is either a meme, or there is not one. A meme cannot exist that is not real--"false"--otherwise it wouldn't be a meme at all. Maybe you are thinking of the term "stereotype," "misconception," "profile," or "belief."

But not "false belief" because a belief either exists or it doesn't. Just saying. If you can hear me up on your high horse.
Kegged: empty :(
stevo4361 Likes This 
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #35
Catfish78
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts

I am an American that has lived in Finland for the last 5.5 years. A majority of people here, and other EU countries believe what the see on TV. All those horrible "Reality" shows, that are as about as far away from normal American life as you can get. When I have friends go on holiday to the US or even move there they typically tell me how nice it is. How the shopping selections are amazing, and how inexpensive everything is. I had a friend come back from Detroit a few weeks ago and was very anxious to hear what he said. He had a great experience and met some good folks. He was seriously concerned for his safety when he left for here. Most of the people I know really enjoy their trips state side and are looking forward to returning.

As for me, once I move back state side, other than friends, I don't think I will miss Finland all too much.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #36
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsk

So, Norway is now considered most of Europe?

I have lived and worked in Germany since 2006 and you know what the educated people said that I have met? "Each country has their own problems. Germany has ours and America has theirs," and so on. From blue collar to white, from students to mechanics, to judges and physicists, they all know that a single nation isn't perfect.

Now to climb off my high horse because I would rather be with the rest of the rational people...

To the OP, I have never heard someone say they want to visit Wisconsin :-) native Minnesotan here.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #37
Catfish78
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJoyce85
I have never heard someone say they want to visit Wisconsin :-) native Minnesotan here.
I have. A diehard Estonian Packer fan. I know, I couldn't believe it either. Flew to the US just to visit Lambeau.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #38
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish78

I have. A diehard Estonian Packer fan. I know, I couldn't believe it either. Flew to the US just to visit Lambeau.
That is AWESOME!!!

I would have a hard time leaving Estonia (it's wonderful), especially for Wisconsin:-P

Just read you are living in Finland. I enjoyed my time there. Some of the most friendly people I have met. And the food and beer are amazing.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #39
revkip
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
oh man, classic man on the street gags

Glad to see us yanks finally bombed the **** outta Saskatchewan lol

Old 03-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #40
CTR08
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

WI- the land of more lakes than Minnesota. Ok off topic.....

Quick Reply