Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How did you quit smoking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
Redweasel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default How did you quit smoking?

Going to try to quit (again) after 15 years of 2 pack a day. I already know I'm in for a long fight and I'm going to be a bitch to live with. What have you people tried? I'm very serious abut it this time as it is affecting my health. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
Gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I started brewing and couldn't afford cigarettes anymore. Actually went to a hypnotist one time and it worked for me but not the girlfriend.

The Older I get the Faster I use to be.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:02 AM   #3
kaptain_karma

Recipes 

To be fair, I still smoke, but when I want to smoke and can't, I fold oragami. It's calming and gives me something to do with my hands.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I used the patches. I did each step for 1 week. I figured if that didn't work, then I would just be getting addicted to the patches. It's been about 15 months now, and I am still smoke free.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #5
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm no help. I don't think I was ever addicted. I think it really was a habit in my case. Specific circumstances or behavior chains would make me want to smoke-- but if I never hit any of those triggers I could go for a pretty long time without realizing I hadn't smoked. No withdrawal, no 'nic fits'. Just the occasional 'what is missing here' feeling and getting used to new way I feel when I'm getting drunk without the nicotine high.

When I stopped smoking I just stopped buying them and did that mainly by never going inside a gas station. You see my habit was to start the gas pumping and go inside. I'd wait in line, ask for a pack of smokes and then tell them the pump number.

When I stopped smoking I decided to change that behavior and that pretty much did it. Never by smokes and you can't smoke them. One thing I made a point of not doing is telling anyone what I was doing. I didn't want the whole 'good for you' preachy bull****.

Once in a while I bum a smoke or 2 off of someone when I'm loaded. Still enjoy the buzz that nicotine adds to the drunk. Can live without the smell in my hair though. With as much hair as I have it's a PITA to wash sober-- hung over it seems to take forever.

It's been a while. 2 years? I'd have to ask the swmbo.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 AM   #6
Evets
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 116

The patch alone did not work for me. The patch along with "Zyban" did, even though I had no faith that it would work. In fact it was downright scary how easy it was. I was smoking almost three packs a day. It's been 11 years.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 AM   #7
Redweasel

Recipes 

Don't think I'll go the hypnotist route, they kinda freak me out. I don't want to end up barking like a chicken every time someone says bullwinkle or something like that. Origami won't work either since I have very large and clumsy hands. I've heard that the patch can work and that might be an option. I'm actually a bit nervous about this since I work in the restaurant industry and EVERYONE smokes, but my health is way too important not to quit.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Weed! seriously, I quit cold turkey and had that to fall back on. Nothing like satisfying that urge to smoke by smoking!! Granted I have since quit that too and caffeine, and soda. Once you quit cigs you can pretty much quit anything.

Go cold turkey and just remember that once you get past a week it will soon be 2 weeks, then next thing you know its 30 days and before you know it, you will learn to hate smoking with a passion.

also try to get a couple new hobbies to keep you busy, it will help.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #9
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1497 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 953

I quit cold turkey (well with about a weeks worth of help from the gum) just barely over 2 years ago. I had to get pissed enough about it and it was the money that got me there.
Good luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #10
Redweasel

Recipes 

I have heard of Zyban. Never heard of anyone who tried it before, but that is also another option. Grass won't work because I just can't work when I'm high. Damn Evets, congrats. 11 years huh? Maybe the Zyban option. I would like to think that I have the willpower to do this thing cold turkey, but in reality I know that is probably not going to happen.

Quick Reply