Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How to avoid paying a tow truck driver

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #21
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Why stiff the wrecker driver? He is just doing his job according to what his boss says. You wouldn't work at you job and not expect to get paid. Tow drivers are just regular folks who get up and go all hours of the day and night to clean up wrecks, sweep up glass and assist ambulance drivers to extract injured drivers and dead bodies. If you were wrong, you should be willing to pay the consequences. If the no parking signs wer not legal, pursue them to get your money back from them. It's just poor form to stiff a working man or woman because you are unwilling to accept responsibility for you and your vehicle.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #22
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2247 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett View Post
Why stiff the wrecker driver? He is just doing his job according to what his boss says. You wouldn't work at you job and not expect to get paid. Tow drivers are just regular folks who get up and go all hours of the day and night to clean up wrecks, sweep up glass and assist ambulance drivers to extract injured drivers and dead bodies. If you were wrong, you should be willing to pay the consequences. If the no parking signs wer not legal, pursue them to get your money back from them. It's just poor form to stiff a working man or woman because you are unwilling to accept responsibility for you and your vehicle.
Wheelchair Bob
That's crazy talk. Some random person called a tow truck to haul a car away from in front of their house. A car that wasn't parked illegally (to the best of anyone's knowledge) and the DRIVER tries to extort money from the car's owner because he KNOWS the person has no legal obligation to pay.

Unless the car is TICKETED, he is SOL on the deal and he knows it. If he wants his money for the tow run, he should have gotten the caller's information and go to THEM to get his money.

And FYI I once called a wrecker to unlock my car with an alarm and the keys locked inside. I waited for the tow truck to arrive and paid them $25 even after I realized that I could open the car after all, so I'm not just against tow truck drivers or believe I should get away with something just because I can.

The fact is, the tow truck driver ought to know when he is in the right. And in this case, unless there is a ticket for illegal parking, or he has a police order for the tow, he cannot expect to get reimbursed for NOT TOWING a car.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Wheelchair Bob
Not to hijack, but...

Things must be quite a bit different where you live. Here, if we (Fire Department, NOT ambulance - but a lot of bigger cities they're combined) are working extraction, the tow driver is standing on the road next to his truck unless we specifically need him to do something. Heck, the ambulance crew isn't even around the car unless the victim needs immediate medical attention (and honestly, one of our firefighters has more EMS/Paramedic training than most of the EMT's, so they just let him handle it)

Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Wheelchair Bob
Wrong. Tow truck drivers are corrupt by nature. Same goes for bail bonds. Regular folks who get up every morning, drink a cup of coffee, and then go about their business of extorting the public.
Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #25
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
Wrong. Tow truck drivers are corrupt by nature. Same goes for bail bonds. Regular folks who get up every morning, drink a cup of coffee, and then go about their business of extorting the public.

Bet you think all police officers are just bullies on a power trip, too, don't you?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #26
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2670 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf
Not to hijack, but...

Things must be quite a bit different where you live. Here, if we (Fire Department, NOT ambulance - but a lot of bigger cities they're combined) are working extraction, the tow driver is standing on the road next to his truck unless we specifically need him to do something. Heck, the ambulance crew isn't even around the car unless the victim needs immediate medical attention (and honestly, one of our firefighters has more EMS/Paramedic training than most of the EMT's, so they just let him handle it)
I think you're right in most cases. However I had a buddy who was a tow driver who got called in on an incident where a someone had driven over the edge of an embankment and had been pronounced dead. He had to go down and get the car into neutral and hook up the tow cable while the body was still in the car in a mutilated state. I remember having beers with him after that one, he was pretty traumatized.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #27
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf View Post

Bet you think all police officers are just bullies on a power trip, too, don't you?
Nope. I've dealt with good and bad cops.

With tow truck drivers, it depends on why they're there. If you call one for help, they are the nicest, most helpful people you'll meet. If they are trying to tow your car against your will, they are looking to screw you over in any way they can. Hence charging you several hundred dollars for "storing" your car overnight.
Fermenter 4: Beer

Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #28
SpentGrains
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Wheelchair Bob
This is rediculous, if the pizza guy shows up at your house with pizzas you clearly didn't even order do you pay the pizza guy cause he is some hard working Joe? I Doubt it.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
What's your beef with bail bondsmen?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #30
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
It was a little passive aggressive. You should have explained that you gave him the card in the heat of the moment, but that after researching you found that there was no grounds on which you should have been towed and so you have no intention of paying. Tell him to take up the matter with the city. Hanging up put you in the wrong. It's never a good idea to hang up on people if you can help it. It sounds like a small town as well.
I know that from time to time cars need to be towed. I work at a farmers' market and pretty much every day someone gets towed because they forget to read the city signs. The thing is, the city of DC subsidizes the tow and you only have to pay $25 bucks. The cars must be towed to make room for vendors and the fee is really not a big deal. I've never seen anyone get angry over it.

In my case, it was totally unnecessary to tow my car. I wasn't in anyone's way. That to me is predation. I think it is wrong to profit from unnecessarily hurting your fellow man.

I felt a twinge of guilt for my passive aggressive behavior when talking to them on the phone. When they called again today, I was very polite and explained my viewpoint. They told me that I had until the end of the day to pay them or they were turning me over to the police, who would come impound my car.

I said I would call them back. I talked to two deputies and explained my story. One of them laughed and said "no way" and the other said the tow company was lying.

Now I don't feel so guilty about being rude. Not that two wrongs make a right, but anyone who tries to trick and cheat others as part of their job needs to take a good hard look in the mirror. I called them back and said "I'm not going to pay unless the cops tell me I have to. You do what you want." We'll see what happens.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Quick Reply