Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > How to avoid paying a tow truck driver

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default How to avoid paying a tow truck driver

My town has a fair every year. I parked my car on the street because I am literally not allowed to drive to my own house. Over the night, some people put up no parking signs where I was parked (paper signs, not official ones). I went to get my car this morning and there was a tow truck driver there. I ran up and told him it was my car. He had not hooked my car up yet, it was untouched.

He said he wanted $50 for driving out there. I asked him to show some mercy; he said that was being merciful. Since the police were right around the corner at the road block, I decided to pay him to get him out of my hair. I used my debit card and he used an old-fashioned carbon copy/receipt to make the transaction.

However, I don't think I should have to pay for ****. There were no signs when I parked there, he didn't do anything, and the signs they put up while I was gone were not official state/county/town signs, just pieces of paper on tongue depressors.

So right when I got home I cancelled my card. The charge hadn't shown up yet and won't until the end of the day. Will this work? What is going to happen?

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2687 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Don't cancel the card, call and dispute the charge. They will not pay it out. I've done this before once after checking into a motel room that was filthy and smelled of cigarettes.

I tried to tell the lady at the front desk about it and she said they could have someone up to clean it wouldn't be for several hours and she didn't have another room. I said I wanted a refund, and she declined. So we just packed it up and left.

I called Chase and told then to dispute the charge, and they did. Didn't get the charge, never got any backlash from it.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 652 Times on 553 Posts
Likes Given: 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbanner View Post
So right when I got home I cancelled my card. The charge hadn't shown up yet and won't until the end of the day. Will this work? What is going to happen?
I would imagine that it will still show up on your last bill. Unless you dispute it through your card company you are still liable for it.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

OK, I will dispute it then. I don't want to draw this out into a battle, but I really don't feel like shelling out $50 for nothing. I am poor as ****.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2687 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 339

I wouldn't pay it if I was a rich man. If anything the city should have to pick up the tab, if you are literally blocked from your residence.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3000 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I wouldn't have even paid it to begin with. Let them bring the cops over, it wasn't legal for them to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong
People Like This 
Old 10-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
PapsD
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722
I wouldn't have even paid it to begin with. Let them bring the cops over, it wasn't legal for them to do it.
X2 I would have told the guy to get bent and to take up the 50 bucks with who ever called him.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Was the tow truck blocking your exit? If not, just say that the card is in your glove box. Get in the car and take off. Roll down the window and yell obscenities while driving away for effect.

If he just made a copy of the card number and did not actually swipe the card, you're fine. He'll try to process it later and the account number will no longer be valid. Might want to keep that canceled card around for just this type of occasion.

Fermenter 4: Beer
paulster2626 Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
sr20steve
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here's a good story, once I parked at my buddies apt that had special parking that required a guest placard to be displayed to park there and I was real good about displaying it when I did park there. Well one night I forgot to put it on the dash and it never even crossed my mind.

Then the next morning after a night on the town, I go out and try to find my car and it's no where. This tow company literally patrols the parking lot every night looking for violators...and I happen to be the lucky one this evening. I call the police and say that my car has been stolen, and they tell me it has been towed and gave me the tow yards number. I call the row yard and they say they have my car and it will cost $320 to get my car out and they gave me the address. It's a Sunday and I show up at the tow yard with my buddies and the gate is open so I walk in and go to the office, it was locked so I go walk around looking for someone and I don't see anyone. As I wander in further I see my blue suby sitting there, I look at my buddies and say "**** it I'm taking it" I run over start it up and as I'm starting it a guy comes running from the back of the lot, and I tear the hell out of there as fast as I can, lol. My heart is racing after and I start to feel like I broke the law. The guy who comes running up sees my buddies and yells at them "is that your buddy?" they just say no, and walk away.

Fast forward to a year later, I go to pay my registration at the DMV and they say, there is supposed to be a lien sale on my car and they asked if I had possetion of the vehicle..I told them its right outside. The lady says, well this must be a mistake and says she will remove it, lol. Score one for the regular folks!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3521 Times on 3229 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Definitely file a dispute with your card. File a dispute with the city, the police dept, the tow company and the fair too. And find out who put up those signs. The whole thing may have been illegal.

There was a big dust up around here a while ago about shady towing. A bunch of folks got various charges reversed.

Quick Reply