Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Houses from the 1950's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
bashe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Houses from the 1950's

So I have been browsing the housing market in hopes of purchasing a house in about a year. One thing that I have noticed is that many of the houses build in the 50's and 60's only have one bathroom. They have 3 or 4 bedrooms but only 1 bathroom. Did people not use the bathroom in the 50's? Maybe children were not allowed to use the bathroom? Many of these houses look really nice, but one bathroom? Really?

Coming Up: Westvleteren 12 clone, Oktoberfast, SWMBO Slayer
Projects: Fermentation Chamber
Beer Blog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, bathrooms are some of the more expensive rooms in the house. Especially back then, in the days of cast iron drain pipes and galvanized supply pipes. It was a lot cheaper to add a couple extra bedrooms. Bathrooms, not so much.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 06-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashe View Post
So I have been browsing the housing market in hopes of purchasing a house in about a year. One thing that I have noticed is that many of the houses build in the 50's and 60's only have one bathroom. They have 3 or 4 bedrooms but only 1 bathroom. Did people not use the bathroom in the 50's? Maybe children were not allowed to use the bathroom? Many of these houses look really nice, but one bathroom? Really?
I grew up in a much older house with a single bathroom and a family of 6. Its not that hard to share. In the 50's multiple bathrooms were still a luxury and "master bath's" were unheard of. Now we're just spoiled.

Craig

Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There was no 'Pill' in the 50's, and back then, everyone didn't feel entitled to more than they needed.

In other words, they dealt with things and worked them out a little more than now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 06-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Looking in South Side? My bro had a house off Green Springs Ave a few years back and it only had 1 bathroom. They converted the "mudroom" at the back entrance to a half bath.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My inlaws' house sounds very similar, and it was the house that my wife was born and raised in. Buy once, and that's where you lived. 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom. Not unusual at all for the time.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Yeah, the house my MIL grew up in (South Buffalo) was built post-war, six kids, one (small) bath. The house my MIL bought in the same neighborhood was the same, just one bath. Maybe that's why they planted trees in the backyard, for the little boys to use!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
bashe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmugMug View Post
Looking in South Side? My bro had a house off Green Springs Ave a few years back and it only had 1 bathroom. They converted the "mudroom" at the back entrance to a half bath.
I am mainly looking in hoover. many of the houses are newer but the ones with the big yards are all older.
Coming Up: Westvleteren 12 clone, Oktoberfast, SWMBO Slayer
Projects: Fermentation Chamber
Beer Blog

Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I am mainly looking in hoover. many of the houses are newer but the ones with the big yards are all older.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you have someone do a thorough inspection on the house, especially if it's older. I've had friends tell me horror stories about some of the older houses in Cahaba Heights. They all looked nice and were decently priced which meant the buyers would have more money for updates/additions. Turns out that most of them had structural issues and that extra money went to repairs. Not sure how true it is, but sounds valid enough to me to be aware of older homes.

FYI - Ben Chenault at Mortgage Banc is a fantastic broker if you're looking for one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What made it worse besides having girls spending too much time in the bathroom were the boys. When you share a bedroom with others it's the only room in the house where you can get some privacy.

Quick Reply