Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #881
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
I certainly see your points, and I think the main thing is that a strong MLS is certainly good for the US soccer culture in general. And I'm glad that I'm not in charge of how things work, because I'd surely F things up. But I would just argue that the growth and development of the league isn't hampered much by losing a handful of high level american pros to Europe. Meanwhile if the development of a handful of high level american pros is hampered by staying in a league that isn't quite at their level does significantly hamper the national team. By all means, as long as you can grow in the MLS, do it. But I just don't believe that say, dempsey, would be the player he is now if he had stayed in the MLS.

As for the development of an american style based on hard work and minimal cheap crap... you don't feel that that's already developed as the american style? I feel like that's what the USMNT has been known for ever since they actually started making it to WCs again.
I like the way you think. And yeah, seems the "club or country" conundrum will never cease.

But yeah, we as supports have been aware of the American-style since the days of Alexi Lalas' goatee and denim kits.... but is it known world-wide that the Yanks play a clean, hard game?

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #882
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
I like the way you think. And yeah, seems the "club or country" conundrum will never cease.
Well, hopefully someday it will. I don't think its unreasonable that in the next 10-20 years, the MLS can be an absolute top notch league. And then there's no conundrum. Am I being hopelessly optimistic? Perhaps. But I'm ok with that.

Quote:
But yeah, we as supports have been aware of the American-style since the days of Alexi Lalas' goatee and denim kits.... but is it known world-wide that the Yanks play a clean, hard game?
Valid question. I dunno. I assume you're asking about is it known to the general soccer viewing public the world round. And I would guess many of them have never bothered to watch a US game, so I guess probably not.

A friend of a friend on facebook was making snide comments about the US v Antigua Barbuda game, saying "at least England can point to their next opponent (France) on a map." What I didn't think to say at the time, and really wish I had, was "True, but at least one team in the America/A&B game made it out of the group stage at the WC......"

Fake it til you make it.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #883
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Well, hopefully someday it will. I don't think its unreasonable that in the next 10-20 years, the MLS can be an absolute top notch league. And then there's no conundrum. Am I being hopelessly optimistic? Perhaps. But I'm ok with that.
Hopelessly optimistic is my favorite kind of optimistic.

Quote:
A friend of a friend on facebook was making snide comments about the US v Antigua Barbuda game, saying "at least England can point to their next opponent (France) on a map." What I didn't think to say at the time, and really wish I had, was "True, but at least one team in the America/A&B game made it out of the group stage at the WC......"
Snap, sir... snap!

And I can find A&B no problem. The Caribbean may be a big archipelago but there are only so many islands large enough to be sovereign.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #884
DregAddict
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Come on guys, England did make it out of the group in WC 2010. Granted they did come out 2nd in the group behind the US, and then got trounced 4-1 by Germany in the round of 16!! So I still think it's fair game to razz on the England v France matchup.

As an interesting side note, I played at UNLV with a guy that made some appearances for the Antigua and Barbuda team. His name is Kelly Frederick, and I actually remember him missing a week or so of practice here and there to go off and play an early round WC qualifier.

He was a very good player. Probably our best striker for the two years he was with our team(he was a JC transfer). He actually made the all western region team during his senior year(my sophomore year). And that team included players that were on some top collegiate teams(UCLA, U-dub, Stanford, university of Portland, UNM, USD, etc.)

So somebody ragging on the A&B team shouldn't do so, because I have first hand experience with a very good player from Antigua that only managed to play a half-dozen or so games for their national team.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #885
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DregAddict View Post
Come on guys, England did make it out of the group in WC 2010. Granted they did come out 2nd in the group behind the US, and then got trounced 4-1 by Germany in the round of 16!! So I still think it's fair game to razz on the England v France matchup.
Well fine, my brain changed history. Oops.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #886
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd

Well fine, my brain changed history. Oops.
I was thinking the same thing... guess I figured they got beat so bad in the knockouts they may as well have not made it out of the groups =)

But Dreg, who was ragging on A&B? I thought they played a fantastic match considering.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 06-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #887
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy

But Dreg, who was ragging on A&B? I thought they played a fantastic match considering.
I assumed he was referring to my facebook friend of a friend.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #888
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 541 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing... guess I figured they got beat so bad in the knockouts they may as well have not made it out of the groups =)
They were not good enough for sure, but that disallowed equaliser was a huge factor in the way the game continued. Had it been allowed the outcome could (possibly) have been closer. The scoreline does not always tell the whole story, especially in knock-out games.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #889
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
They were not good enough for sure, but that disallowed equaliser was a huge factor in the way the game continued. Had it been allowed the outcome could (possibly) have been closer. The scoreline does not always tell the whole story, especially in knock-out games.
This is quite true. That was around that time people started demanded FIFA do something.

I may be crazy, but have there been extra officials at the EURO 2012 matches? I could swear I saw non-flagged officials at the end-lines intently watching the run of play. Is this a trial run for a solution that doesn't involve bringing in technology?

EDIT: Yup, there are definitely end-line officials.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #890
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also, holy hell! I tuned in to Greece vs Czech Rep at the 10th minute.... it's already 0-2 to the Czech.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Quick Reply