Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #31
BertusBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Galaxy should have a good year, it's gonna be an interesting one for the Fire, not sure what to expect. I'm hoping the Fire at least make the playoffs b/c it's been a long season for my Reds across the pond, being a Liverpool fan this year hasn't been easy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #32
Stratotankard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Been a Tottenham Hotspur fan for several years now. I chose them because a friend in England said all Americans know about the EPL is Manchester United and Liverpool.

Growing up I was a Sounders fan, back before there was an MLS and they were playing at Huskies stadium. I'm glad to see the increase in the popularity of the game in America. Maybe now we will start seeing some talent capable of performing on the world stage.

---------------------------------------------
Primary: Burned Mead
Secondary: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Bottled: More Bourbon Barrel Porter, New Pekin Common, Flat Tail Old Ale, Bad Monkey Banana Wine, Flanders Red, Pumpkin Ale
Drinking: Too Much
On deck: Something crazy to use up the 3+ pounds of hops sitting in my freezer

Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 PM   #33
BertusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Stratotankard, I agree with everybody in people in America only knowing about the EPL is Man U, but it I think your friend may have been a little mistaken. Most people only know about Man U and Chelsea, I am a Liverpool fan and other than my brother I don't know a single person that follows them. It's all Man U, Chelsea, and a few Arsenal fans out there.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #34
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

During the preseason I've been hunting all over the intarwebz for when clubs reveal kits and when website-design interns accidentally leak kit images. Finally there is a full list of them. Here's the link to the article... there's an interview about the kit designs with images of all of them below. Scroll to the bottom for the 3rd kits.

And here's my analysis on all of them from another forum. And don't worry, I won't be offended if you do a "tl;dr"

Quote:
The "Awesome!":
- Portland Timbers (both kits)... I mean seriously, those are already iconic before a match has even been playing in them. And it's great to see so much effort be put into even the smallest details. Hands-down best in MLS

- Vancouver Whitecaps (both kits)... They seem perfect for the club. The white homes are pretty classy and I dig the stripes. The blue with the raised 'Caps logo is sweet... reminds me of the jersey from a club I played for as a kid. Also, the Bell logo fits well on both.

- Real Salt Lake "Victory Gold".... Just plain sick. That is all.

- Toronto FC home kit.... I like the increased use of gray and the maple leaf is a nice topping of an otherwise clean and straight-shooting kit

- Chivas USA secondary kit.... The subtle vertical striping is a good counter to their main kit. And is it just me or does the Corona on the front look like it's belonged there the entire time?

- Houston Dynamo home kit.... HOLLAND EURO '88 FTW! No but seriously they look awesome and the starburst doesn't look crazy on TV at all (see: Disney Pro Classic.) And orange is a classic soccer color IMHO

- FC Dallas (both kits).... Gotta love the hoops. Great look.

- Columbus Crew secondary kit.... Why don't they use this more?! So unique and awesome.

- D.C. United third kit.... What can I say, I like all-red.

The "Meh it's alright":
- LA Galaxy home kit.... Love the club but the kits have always been kinda "meh" for me. I know they are iconic and you realize who is playing as soon as you turn the match on but just.... meh. I'm still holding out hope for a retro-ish third kit with either a sash across the front or vertical piping. Also, BOO for dropping the ganja leaf off the sponsor logo

- Chicago Fire (both kits).... I do like that they have simplified the kits without the sponsor but the secondary? Come on.... at least the other all-white kits have SOMETHING on them. It makes me think of a scene from Scrubs: JD-"Oh hey is that shirt new? It's really nice... what kind of shirt is it?" Dr. Cox-"It's a white t-shirt..."

- Chivas USA home kit.... It's alright. Corona looks nice on it though.

- Colorado Rapids (both kits).... They look fine, I like the new secondary kit better than the old one. But what you can't see are the big V's on the back of the jerseys that, if tucked in, look like hiked-up thong straps. I also think the secondary will look a lot better with a sponsor filling in the white void.

- Columbus Crew home kit.... Looks weird without the sponsor logo. All-yellow, without the frame, would've been great.

- D.C. United (both kits).... Yeah it's pretty classic looking but it's a far-cry from the three stripes. They're so-so.

- Houston Dynamo secondary kit.... Yaaaay all-white. The orange accents are decent though. I feel they could have done better overall, though.

- Sporting KC (both kits).... The epitome of "meh." Interesting rebranding, retarded crest and bland kits. It would like the secondary (with the raised SC all over) better if the crest read how I originally thought it did: "SC" meant Soccer Club, with the LAX and Rugby clubs having LC and RC respectively. But alas...

- New England Revolution secondary kit.... It's like the "Mirror-Mirror" version of LAG's primary. The only thing missing is the goatee.

- New York Red Bulls (both kits).... Aside from the new black secondary it's pretty unchanged. At least the massive logo lets anybody know who's playing right away.

- Philadelphia Union (both kits).... This one would be in the "Awesome" section if not for the logo. Don't get me wrong, Bimbo is giving them a lot of money and that will be most helpful. But they could have gone with a color scheme that blended better... or nixed the white logo background.

- Real Salt Lake primary and secondary kits.... Yeah I got nothing.

- San Jose Earthquake (all three kits).... Most uncreative way of using the template that a large portion of the clubs use.

- Toronto FC secondary kit.... All-whites... yay. I miss the grays.

The "Herp-a-Derp":
- Seattle Sounders (both kits).... Seriously, what the eff? Way to ruin one of the best set of kits in the league. And while duct tape fixes everything and essentially holds the universe together, it does not tie the ensemble together. The secondary looks like something you'd see at The Thunderdome.

- LA Galaxy secondary kit.... Um yeah, last I checked that color is not in our crest.

- New England Patriots home kit.... 'nuff said

So overall a lot of mediocrity peppered with style and just a dash of suck.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #35
BertusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The Fire kits are the same as last year minus the Best Buy logo since Best Buy didn't renew their sponsorship. I might have to break down and buy the away shirt, I actually like the fact that it's plain. I guess I'm just used to soccer jerseys having a sponsor on them, so if there is not sponsor I would rather there be nothing than the team name, the name is already on the crest.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #36
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertusBrew View Post
The Fire kits are the same as last year minus the Best Buy logo since Best Buy didn't renew their sponsorship. I might have to break down and buy the away shirt, I actually like the fact that it's plain. I guess I'm just used to soccer jerseys having a sponsor on them, so if there is not sponsor I would rather there be nothing than the team name, the name is already on the crest.
I completely agree with you on no names on the chest.

However the Chicago kits are a little different from 2010 (the secondary varies less than the primary.) I'm really happy they simplified the new primary.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #37
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oh and match announcement.

CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinal -- Real Salt Lake vs. Columbus Crew at 7pm PST TODAY on Fox Soccer Channel, Galavision and concacaf.com

This is the second leg of this portion of the quarterfinals. They play each other twice, once at Crew Stadium and once at Rio Tinto Stadium, with the winner having the highest aggregate score; currently the aggregate sits at 0-0. Ties are settled initially by away-goal advantage and if that does not break the tie overtime followed (if-needed) by a penalty shootout.

Note-worthy facts:
- RSL must win outright to advance; any tie will result in a Crew victory due to away-goal advantage.
- It's been snowing balls in Utah so the pitch (real turf) should be interesting.... this shouldn't be an advantage for RSL as it's been going nuts in the midwest as well.
- RSL are currently sitting on a 33 home-unbeaten steak in all competitions (i.e. regular season, playoffs, CCL, U.S. Open Cup.)
- Last Tuesday, the first leg of this series, RSL had zero shots on goal and zero corner kicks for the first time in franchise history.

Here's a link to the match preview.

If anybody can't get the match on TV, PM me and I will send you a link to watch it streaming.

Also worth mentioning, at 5pm PST the other quarterfinals match will be played, this one between Santos and Cruz Azul. This one is being televised on Telemundo (I'm pretty sure... don't hold me to that) and will also be steaming if you would like the link. Cruz Azul currently lead the aggregate 2-0.

EDIT: Removed error (RSL/CLB not playing winner of Santos/Cruz but instead plays winner of Olimpia/Saprissa.) Television information is still correct.

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #38
BertusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Anybody gonna watch Man U vs Liverpool this weekend?

Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #39
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'll be watching it on DVR since my daughter has a game (hopefully) at noon.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #40
BertusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It could be a great game, although you never know what Liverpool you are going to get. From week to week they have to ability to look like completely different teams. One week they beat Chelsea, next thing you know they lose to West Ham. My prediction is a 1-1 draw.

Quick Reply