Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013, 01:31 AM   #2181
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygov View Post
Winning the league with a hat trick from RvP..... I'm going to go crawl under a rock now....
It's basically a 3 horse race for player of the year.

RVP
Suarez
Bale

No way Suarez gets it considering how Liverpool isn't going to Europe and he just bit someone.

I think it sshould be Bale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #2182
Rubes
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygov View Post
Winning the league with a hat trick from RvP..... I'm going to go crawl under a rock now....
On the upside they won't be clinching it at the Emirates this Sunday. That would have been terrible.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #2183
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
To tell you the truth, I'd rather be pottering around aimlessly than selling off our 2 best players. I can't think of a summer that we didn't sell one if not two of our best players since the early 2000s.

After they posted that big profit windfall a few months ago, the owner and wenger came out and said they'll be throwing down 70million. Lets just hope its not on a bunch of Chamakhs, Arshavins, & Gervinhos.

Fortunately we don't seem to have anyone going out of contract that's in demand that I can think of. We should be safe for another season...

As far as splashing 70 million... I'll believe it when I see it. We've supposedly had some huge war chest for the last 2 seasons but did we spend that? Nope.... I think Wenger is like that rich guy that goes to the Mercedes dealer and ends up not buying a car because he thinks the mark up on the interior is too high. He could easily afford to buy 6 of these cars, but he won't because of what he perceives they're worth. Instead he rides his bicycle back home and tries again another day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubes View Post
On the upside they won't be clinching it at the Emirates this Sunday. That would have been terrible.
Thank god for that. Of course we will have to give them the guard of honor when they come out of the tunnel, but I'd much prefer that to them celebrating at The Emirates.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #2184
hopstupid
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Barca got thumped today 4-0 but 2 shouldn't of even counted

Old 04-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #2185
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopstupid View Post
Barca got thumped today 4-0 but 2 shouldn't of even counted
And there were 2 penalties that should have been called against Barca for handballs that weren't.

Also I only saw one that was questionable (though I admit I may have missed an offsides) and that was on the Muller pick, but to me that's good futball. That's on Alba's teammates for not being there to pickup Robben. And while it was close, Muller had both feet down before Alba hit him. If I'm the ref I'd have let play continue as well, but then again I love German/English styles of fastpaced hard nosed soccer.

Bayern was far and away the better squad. More chances, and because of that, more goals.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #2186
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
And there were 2 penalties that should have been called against Barca for handballs that weren't.

Also I only saw one that was questionable (though I admit I may have missed an offsides) and that was on the Muller pick, but to me that's good futball. That's on Alba's teammates for not being there to pickup Robben. And while it was close, Muller had both feet down before Alba hit him. If I'm the ref I'd have let play continue as well, but then again I love German/English styles of fastpaced hard nosed soccer.

Bayern was far and away the better squad. More chances, and because of that, more goals.
Yeah, from the angles I saw, it certainly appeared that Gomez was offside on the second goal. That said, Bayern did thoroughly outplay Barca, and I agree on at least one handball that should that I thought should have been called (don't recall a second, but I also wasn't paying 100% attention the entire game). The only time I remember where it looked like Barca really had a chance at goal was on the free kick where Bartra was clear through on goal and then promptly demonstrated why he's a defender.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #2187
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
Yeah, from the angles I saw, it certainly appeared that Gomez was offside on the second goal. That said, Bayern did thoroughly outplay Barca, and I agree on at least one handball that should that I thought should have been called (don't recall a second, but I also wasn't paying 100% attention the entire game). The only time I remember where it looked like Barca really had a chance at goal was on the free kick where Bartra was clear through on goal and then promptly demonstrated why he's a defender.
I couldn't tell with Gomez because TBH only way to truly tell if someone is offsides is to be level with him. Cameras can lie based on their angles.

But the first handball was on Pique when I think it was Lahm fired one on net it just hit Pique's arm which is why it didn't look like a normal deflection. Second was the bad one which was the Alba one. That was just bad, far bigger miss than Muller's pick or whether Gomez was a hair offsides or not. And with Gomez it's hard to tell cause the guy you have to watch is Alves, not Pique. Also Alves got away with a pull down on Ribery but to me that's like the Muller pick, just part of the game.

In the end I think you're left with 2 things. 1 both Muller goals were things of beauty and he was an inch from having his hattrick (got to ggive Valdez props for beating Muller one on one) 2 Barca are a bunch of babies. They got beat by a team who played through the whistle like your'e supposed to. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw defenders giving up on the Ribery goal cause they thought a foul was being called. If I was Valdez I would have smacked someone. Alba throwing the ball in Robben's face was classless BS, I hope someone sends him a message next time around. Maybe Muller's can throw a hard pick at him that leaves Alba in a real heap, not a looking for a card heap.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #2188
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
They got beat by a team who played through the whistle like your'e supposed to. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw defenders giving up on the Ribery goal cause they thought a foul was being called. If I was Valdez I would have smacked someone.
ABSOLUTELY. I was quite happy to watch them pay for the "throw my hand up in the air and stop playing" strategy.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #2189
hopstupid
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:

you did miss it

it was offsides

Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #2190
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well the 2 arguably 3 if you're gonna call every borderline call missed penalties more than make up for 2 questionable goals.

And I still dont' know for sure if Gomez was offsides. I've watched the replay over and over again. And it's really hard to tell, I think Alves may have played him on, and when in doubt, you are supposed to give the advantage to the attacking team.

Quick Reply