Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #1361
Punity
ECS 4 LIFE!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy

I don't know man. They seem to get crazy good when they play Cascadia rivals
At home yea they get up. In our house I say no no.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #1362
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
Since I don't read Spanish it's not exactly clearer for me.

The only reference to the national treasure status I found in the English link was the following:

Quote:
J.B. Pinheiro, the Brazilian ambassador to the United Nations, was quoted as saying: "Pele played football for 22 years, and in that time he did more to promote world friendship and fraternity than any other ambassador anywhere". And who could contradict him? In warring Nigeria a ceasefire was declared when Pele played in Lagos in 1969. The President of Brazil declared him a "national treasure" to thwart any potential transfer to a European club. And in the port city of Santos, 19 November is forever 'Pele Day', to celebrate the anniversary of his 1,000th goal.
I quoted the whole paragraph so it doesn't look like I chopped a sentence out of context. The bolded bit is the relevant part and it doesn't say what year it happened.

I read the whole thing and either you're seeing something I'm not or you're misreading it.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #1363
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I know, it would have been great to go up a point or three over the damned Red Bull before the match on Saturday. On the other hand, this game means a lot now - the number two spot in the east. Haven't decided yet whether I'm watching at home or going to a watch party at a local pub.
Agreed. It would have been nice to get a little breathing room, but I guess this is going to make Saturday's game all that much more dramatic...

Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #1364
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I read it in three languages dude the only three I can read... it is clear in two... it sucks that in english is not very well redacted, I doubt that english it is the original language of that particular post. I´ve seen data saying that he got it after world cup 62, I ´ve seen a 1967 a bunch of 1969 and even one that said the he was declared in 1958 for me is not clear, I tend to accept as you that that the most results I see around it is the truth, you have a lot of places that say 1961 its allrigth truth is that HE HAD the chances to play in Europe, the "national treasure" status didn´t stop him from playing for Cosmos, and how are you going -as a goverment- prevent that a person doesn´t emigrate specially when he is travelling all the time??? The national treasure thing doesn´t sound more than a populist manuever of a goverment more than an actual prohibition of transfer if the player wanted it... Pele asn´t forced to play for Brazil or in Brazil he choose to. And he did admit it.....

Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #1365
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

I really want to stop discussing this...is not smart to discuss this kind of things, and certantly I´m not a troll... just hot headed... I really thing we shoul be discussing next match and not things that are a dead end actually. Pele statics and history are not very reliable especially in scored goals, this issue, the corauge of not taking the step to Europe are widely discuss between spanish, portuguese speaking fans and something that you can or can´t agree but this is not a comment out of the blue. Coming from a very diferent place I see it different... that´s it we propably wont agree never, but I do respect your comments about it I just don´t share them and is not going to get deeper than that, I don´t troll but stupids say stupid things as I´ve told in this thread. At least if someone is going to call me or my comments stupid he willl have to giveme the rigth to behave like one.

Anyway the important thing is:

There is anyof you guys going to watch Madrid-Barcelona this weekend? and what matchfrom your league will you recommend me to watch this weekend?

Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #1366
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
I read it in three languages dude the only three I can read... it is clear in two... it sucks that in english is not very well redacted, I doubt that english it is the original language of that particular post. I´ve seen data saying that he got it after world cup 62, I ´ve seen a 1967 a bunch of 1969 and even one that said the he was declared in 1958 for me is not clear, I tend to accept as you that that the most results I see around it is the truth, you have a lot of places that say 1961 its allrigth truth is that HE HAD the chances to play in Europe, the "national treasure" status didn´t stop him from playing for Cosmos, and how are you going -as a goverment- prevent that a person doesn´t emigrate specially when he is travelling all the time??? The national treasure thing doesn´t sound more than a populist manuever of a goverment more than an actual prohibition of transfer if the player wanted it... Pele asn´t forced to play for Brazil or in Brazil he choose to. And he did admit it.....
I guess it is a pretty muddy point.

That aside if you think him not playing in Europe diminishes his greatness then so be it. I don't have a dog in the "Best player ever!" fight because I think declaring anything the best is usually impossible. I mean how can you compare Pele to anyone in the modern game considering football is so much different then it was back then. It's all up for interpretation with heaps of opinion thrown in. There have been many great players but trying to say that one of them is unequivocally the best ever is ridiculous.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #1367
Punity
ECS 4 LIFE!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Pele=Goat

There I solved it for you.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #1368
lgilmore
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 142

"And he did admit it....."

And your point is about his manhood? Kid, no matter how you serve this up, it is a silly argument to make. You've implied Pele refused to play in europe cause he was affraid of european players? How would you explain his success in world cup play then? Didn't he play against them then?

Also wiki has him declared as a national treasure in 1961 which would make sense as he was entering his prime... He basically played his career for Santos 18 of his 20 years. This is probably what Messi is going to do as well with his club. I think you may confuse a sense of loyalty with a lack of manhood, which again, how old are you?

The other factor that is more plausable than lack of manhood? Money. I'm sure if enough money was offered, he would have been there, as the last two years with the Cosmos were simply too big of a paycheck to turn down. What was the cost of living in Brazil compared to any EU country at the time? Do you think they were the same or waaay a part? Did a dollar go farther in Brazil than in a EU country (pick any one)? Why do you think Beckham stayed in America instead of signing with that French team? Something about a 36% tax bracket in the states vs. a 75% bracket coming to France?

While again the childish notion that a lack of manhood kept Pele from Europe, it's highly unlikely. It may be just fluffing your chest feathers to feel better about something else.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #1369
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

totally agree on that Pele or Maradona or Messi who is the greatest it´s an impossible comparision different moments rules and way to tacticly play the game. I do enjoy Pele I just think Garrincha it´s better but hey that´s only my opinion and that´s it.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #1370
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilmore View Post
"And he did admit it....."

And your point is about his manhood? Kid, no matter how you serve this up, it is a silly argument to make. You've implied Pele refused to play in europe cause he was affraid of european players? How would you explain his success in world cup play then? Didn't he play against them then?
Dude If you care to read above post and not just the first thing maybe you´ll have different questions, and again it was wrong from me to pull a "man card" on him... again I tough this been a soccer thread it was a little more permisive and found out that is not... I just think diffrently and that´s it. Accept it, I really don´t care if you agree or not. He was a great pleayer in a great team but I don´t think we was the best in the three national teams that got the world cup.

Quick Reply