Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #1351
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

George Best would have been better than Pele anyway,..........If he could have stayed sober, and maybe turn up for work occasionally.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #1352
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgilmore
"But all this replies just tell me what I somehow already knew: you guys still need to learn a bit about the sport."

And I really don't think you're the guy to teach us as nothing you've said impresses anyone that you possess an exceptional knowledge of the sport.

Every generation in sport has "their" superstar, currently it's Messi. 15 years from now... it will be somebody else. And that's not a knock on Messi, the guy is outstanding and a joy to watch.

And yes, I figured you weren't born when he played, by the way Pele is still alive last time I checked. Just saw him in the London Olympic Closing Ceremony.

Look, There's people who believe Mohamed Ali was the best boxer the world has seen and there's others who don't.

There's people who believe Wilt Chamberlin was the best basketball player ever, or Michael Jordon, or today Labron James. Just depends on what or who you grew up with or where you live.

And yes, you are a troll, or simply lack the understanding that each generation has it's "best" in sport and the media's job is to get you to believe today's star is better than a past star so you'll watch and read their articles.

I do think it's sad that you challenge a person's "manhood" implying he was fearful or weak as the reason he didn't do what you or your dad or grandfather "felt" he should have done. What's really funny is your using field size as a reason or rationale for your point. Let me know when they change the penalty area or goal size in a league and I might believe your point. The "pitch" no matter if it's small or big, is a rectangle with the same goals and PA. It's not like the Brazilian pitches were 50 meters wider and 25 meters longer than Spain's or Englands for example. Maybe check your FIFA laws of the game. The difference between minimum size and maximum size is 10 meters long and wide. So, while you feel you possess some superior knowledge of the game, your comments betray you. Yea, Pele was Pele because the fields in Brazil were 10 meters wider and 11 meters longer.......... So this really is the second argument I've never heard about why Pele was as good as he was... field size?

How old are you? I have this feeling I have studds that are much older than you.
First got to tell you that Brazilian fields were (some of them) 120 mts long when averge in Europe was 95 the international standards of field length as you know them today were different at the time and still are if you look at the FIFA web site you'll note that national fields can vary from 90 to 120 and international between 100 and 110 and width range from 45 to 90 (yes twice as much) national and 64 to 75 international. These rules had changes trough history. I wasn't a great player but I did travel a lot (thanks to my uncle actually) when I was a teen between Argentina Uruguay and Brazil and played in Brazilian fields, they are huge and I didn't read this some place I was there... the opposite can be tell about Uruguay their fields are tiny...
Pele was great but not the king... I think Garrincha was a lot better than Pele... and every player in the Brazilian team was great... Pele in club level he only got two libertadores in 20 year career... of course he haves three world cups two of then thanks to the magic of Garrincha (top scorer and MVP in world cup 62) and superb in the 58. In the 70 was Brazil the team an not just Pele.
If you ever play football at a Brazilian field you'll know better.
I know how to quote by the way the thing its I'm using my phone and I can't multi quote

"These are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." -Groucho Marx-

Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #1353
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
Pele "the king" was never man enough to go to play to Europe, only Brazil and a little in the US when he was older I think he was great but a little overrated, Brazil national team had a lot of great players when he was around...
You do realize that in 1961 the President of Brazil had Pele declared a national treasure? It's kind of hard to go play in Europe when there is a law that says you can't leave the country.

It's alright if you think someone is better than Pele. Not everyone is going to agree on the best footballer in the world. What's not alright though, is saying he wasn't man enough to play in Europe when you have no idea of the circumstances behind it.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #1354
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punity
Haha Portland winning the cup almost a laughable prospect.
I don't know man. They seem to get crazy good when they play Cascadia rivals

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #1355
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
George Best would have been better than Pele anyway,..........If he could have stayed sober, and maybe turn up for work occasionally.
Tbh even drunk he probably would have been better than most.

Such a waste of talent...

Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #1356
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygov View Post
You do realize that in 1961 the President of Brazil had Pele declared a national treasure? It's kind of hard to go play in Europe when there is a law that says you can't leave the country.

It's alright if you think someone is better than Pele. Not everyone is going to agree on the best footballer in the world. What's not alright though, is saying he wasn't man enough to play in Europe when you have no idea of the circumstances behind it.
that was 1969 seven years after his 2nd world cup... he had offers that he rejected himself confesed later in several interviews: at least Madrid Juventus and Manchester

Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #1357
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

This been said and because I don´t want to -meant to troll I got to say that it was wrong to talk about Pele manhood (specially when everybody talked about it at the time nad it´s something that has been discussed) pulling a man card was wrong but I stand still about the original comment I think Pele didn´t have the courage to take the choice of going to Europe (he had lots of chances) because he was considered the king and didn´t wanted to be contested, like a reigning boxing champ that refuses to figth good boxers. I believe that this as a "soccer" thread and some incivility was allow. I really don´t like to argue actually but soccer really means something for me I don´t speak from the pedestal of knowing-it-all just from my experience of being raised in a football family in a football country. By the way I´m 32 not a kid I hacen´t played in years (only with friends on weekends) and wasn´t a great player neither but I do know the sport from the inside.
My apologizes if a touched a sensitve fiber... you´ll probably see more of this if I stay around but by no means I want to troll

Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #1358
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
that was 1969 seven years after his 2nd world cup... he had offers that he rejected himself confesed later in several interviews: at least Madrid Juventus and Manchester
So if everything I find says 1961, where do you get 1969?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #1359
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Well Chicago is going to need to shake off that bad loss if they're going to look good on network tv in a (probably) sold-out red bull arena.

Also, Portland at Seattle on ESPN in front of 66k+ is going to be nuts, with Portland clinching the Cascadia Cup with a win or draw.

Then there's LA vs RSL for the number two spot in the west.

It's a good weekend to be a domestic soccer fan.
I know, it would have been great to go up a point or three over the damned Red Bull before the match on Saturday. On the other hand, this game means a lot now - the number two spot in the east. Haven't decided yet whether I'm watching at home or going to a watch party at a local pub.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #1360
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aygov View Post
So if everything I find says 1961, where do you get 1969?
From fifa website...

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/...869/index.html

it´s clearer in spanish

http://es.fifa.com/classicfootball/p...869/index.html

Quick Reply