Hook 'em Horns!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lounge Lizard

Reaction score
2006_Logo_NatChamp.jpg

Rose_Bowl.jpg

On January 4, 2006 at 5:00 p.m. (PST) the Rose Bowl Game will host the BCS National Championship, between USC and Texas once again showcasing the best of collegiate football in "The Granddaddy of Them All."® The Rose Bowl will be broadcast exclusively on ABC and on ESPN radio.

I've got some Bridgeport IPA and popcorn just waiting! My Irish Stout has only been in the bottles a week. Had two last night. Petty darned good carbonation in one. It was slightly warmer than the other. Maybe that was the difference. Hopefully, the fruity taste from the WL Irish Ale yeast will subside some after a while.

Oh, that's right... this is a football thread! :D

I'm pretty ambivalent about this game (NCSU fan), though I'll watch it as soon as I get home. I did learn to like UT while I lived in Dallas (mostly thanks to A&M fans), but I hate Smack Brown. Oh well, at least there's homebrew and chips!

Thank you very much. :D I guess you didn't know this board was a football jinx, did you? The very mention of your team here is a guaranteed 50 pt. loss. I'm glad you did it...it probably would have worked in reverse for me. :D

And BeeGee...you're right, brown is a clown. :mad:

Oh no... I had read about the jinx, but forgotten about it. Oh well, it'll still be a good game. I hope.... :eek: lol

Anybody who thinks Texas has a chance in this game has had one too many homebrews. I'm not a USC fan (go OSU Beavers!) but I have serious respect for the Trojans. Too many weapons . . .

I predict that USC will have a slow offensive start (as they have many times this season) but that in the second half they'll drop the hammer and leave the Longhorns in the dust. Final score will not be close.

AHU

AllHoppedUp said:
Anybody who thinks Texas has a chance in this game has had one too many homebrews.
Which is exactly why I'm scared to death that the shorthorns will pull this one out. :(

Oh, and by the way, I'm a huge beaver fan too. :D

I've been telling everyone for a week that Texas might well get whooped. Some have been tellin' me that USC had yet another easy schedule.

I'm more of a LSU Tiger fan, but living in Texass, and hating most anything from California, what can I say? 52 more minutes!

AllHoppedUp said:
Anybody who thinks Texas has a chance in this game has had one too many homebrews. I'm not a USC fan (go OSU Beavers!) but I have serious respect for the Trojans. Too many weapons . . .
AllHoppedUp said:
I predict that USC will have a slow offensive start (as they have many times this season) but that in the second half they'll drop the hammer and leave the Longhorns in the dust. Final score will not be close.

AHU

Remind me to ask you for football advice if I ever go to Vegas and bet on the sports book... that way I can bet the opposite of your predictions! ;) :D

Who's crying now, SC fans - stick to surfing! Vince Young is unbelievable!

Hook 'Em Horns! (For my Dad; UT class of 1957!)

BeeGee, as much as I resent your remark about the Ag's, I still like you :~)

and, as much as i despise tu, i was pulling for the t-sippers last night because, let's face it. a day when a Texican wants anything from CA ( or anywhere else for that matter) to beat a fellow Texican, doesn't deserve to be a Texican. nothing against outsiders, it's just a Texas "thang".

and Vince was incredible. maybe the Texans will try to draft him early????? good game, good game.....

DeRoux's Broux said:
and Vince was incredible. maybe the Texans will try to draft him early????? good game, good game.....
Yesterday all the talk was how Reggie Bush was the best football player who ever lived, and the future saviour of the franchise. Radiohead was maybe gonna be a decent pro qb, if he got lucky.

Today, Bush is chopped liver...may not even be first round, and VY is gonna be Namath/Unites/Vick/Montana all rolled in one, and we're gonna burn down Reliant if they don't take him #1.

Just seems kind of weird. :confused:

to be honest, i never really thought about VY being drafted. hadn't heard any talk of him coming out early. i never cared for reggie bush. i figure the texans will trade that 1st round pick for several other seasoned vet's that can help ASAP. i hope they go after Gary Kubiak from Dnever as head coach too....another fellow Texican (and Aggie BeeGee :~) )

BeeGee said:
Hey, I would have pulled for the Aggies if they had been there! Never cared much for Trojans...

I was pulling for TT, too.

just razz'n ya bud! i know some Ag's can be a little over the top. they're (me!) just real bitter right now :mad: that game just added a couple more years of tuff recruiting down here. the Ag's need all the help they can get.....

Rhoobarb said:
Remind me to ask you for football advice if I ever go to Vegas and bet on the sports book... that way I can bet the opposite of your predictions! ;) :D

Funny how things work out when the officials give you a touchdown off of an illegal lateral! It was hard to tell from the tv, but I could swear I saw a little Texas flag on the sleeve of that ref. Ha ha! And maybe my tv is just old but those penalty flags looked like they were burnt orange instead of yellow!

But I digress. Such is the game of football. A little bad officiating happens in most games and as fans we have no choice but to deal with it . . . by screaming obsenities at the television. But you have to admit it's extra disappointing when a bad call affects the outcome of the game like that.

Props to Texas (but just a little).

AHU

Vince has already stated that he will be at UT again next year, the Texans need to get the other SC RB. He is much better under pressure of a really big game. Actually, if the Texans dont get a freakin O-line, it does not matter how good the QB or the RB is, they will still suck next year.:D I am a big Texan fan tooooooo.

you got me on that one beermaker. they do need an 0-line and a coordinator. they have some good skilled guy's on that side of the ball and can't do squat w/ em. we'll see what happens come april.......

AllHoppedUp said:
Funny how things work out when the officials give you a touchdown off of an illegal lateral! ... AHU

Yeah, I knew that would come up.;) We were at a bar watching the first half on an HDTV and it looked like it could really be called either way. We (a mix of UT and USC fans) figured the ref had a better look and we didn't think much more about it. When I got home and watched it on my non-HDTV, it looked a lot more suspect.:( But, they gave a TD to USC that did not look like a TD on the replay. So, maybe it all works out in the end.

And, what was Carroll thinking going for it on 4th down!:eek:

DeRoux's Broux said:
you got me on that one beermaker. they do need an 0-line and a coordinator.
I thought they still needed a head coach too...did they hire someone already? :confused:

El Pistolero said:
I thought they still needed a head coach too...did they hire someone already? :confused:

not yet. just figured it in to the mix. so far all i know of is Gary Kubiak from Dnever (o-coord) and some spare from Buffalo. don't remember his name....

Vince Young was amazing last night and I have to admit I haven't watched him at all except for this game. But I still don't think he's ready for the NFL if he's a running maniac QB. He needs to work with his arm more than his legs. Count up all the amazing NFL QB's who can win games with their legs that have never won the superbowl. Unless they eventually figure it out that they're the passer and not the running back like Steve Young eventually did it only gets you so far. He'd be better off to stay his senior year. I'd pick Leinart over Young at this juncture (no, I'm NOT a USC fan).

desertBrew said:
Vince Young was amazing last night and I have to admit I haven't watched him at all except for this game. But I still don't think he's ready for the NFL if he's a running maniac QB. He needs to work with his arm more than his legs. Count up all the amazing NFL QB's who can win games with their legs that have never won the superbowl. Unless they eventually figure it out that they're the passer and not the running back like Steve Young eventually did it only gets you so far. He'd be better off to stay his senior year. I'd pick Leinart over Young at this juncture (no, I'm NOT a USC fan).

Good points, and I'd like to see him return. But it would be hard to turn down contacts with all those zeros that any agent is likely to be waving around. You have an impressive win in front of a national audience last night and today everyone is talking about your being the next Dan Marino. Why risk losing that glow and the big money it will get you? You could be injured in the second game next year, miss the entire season and fall off everyone's NFL radar.

I'll be surprised to see him come back. Admirable, yes; but money talks.

Rhoobarb said:
Good points, and I'd like to see him return. But it would be hard to turn down contacts with all those zeros that any agent is likely to be waving around. You have an impressive win in front of a national audience last night and today everyone is talking about your being the next Dan Marino. Why risk losing that glow and the big money it will get you? You could be injured in the second game next year, miss the entire season and fall off everyone's NFL radar.

I'll be surprised to see him come back. Admirable, yes; but money talks.

Yep on the $$$ thing. Heck, I'd hit the road as well. Just prefer that he gets picked up by a team besides mine and is not in my division ;). They should compare him to Vick & Culpepper though. Marino couldn't run away from my mom but sure could pass intelligently!

El Pistolero said:
You don't think he can run on the tundra? :confused:

Yea, he could run up 'der hey but I want a throwing QB. I've only seen him once yesterday so I may be labeling the guy. I got a bunch of buddies in MN and they want to boot Culpepper out (will probably go anyway) for pretty much the same reason. Use your brain & throw the friggen ball :D. I'm probably just old school but I don't like watching Vick scramble ass all over the place either. He isn't going to last in the league either doing it that way. Scramble when you have to but that should be last resort. Ultimately you never know how they'll turn out in the NFL...

AllHoppedUp said:
Funny how things work out when the officials give you a touchdown off of an illegal lateral! It was hard to tell from the tv, but I could swear I saw a little Texas flag on the sleeve of that ref. Ha ha! And maybe my tv is just old but those penalty flags looked like they were burnt orange instead of yellow!

But I digress. Such is the game of football. A little bad officiating happens in most games and as fans we have no choice but to deal with it . . . by screaming obsenities at the television. But you have to admit it's extra disappointing when a bad call affects the outcome of the game like that.

Props to Texas (but just a little).

AHU

Maybe because of that one play, eating a whole crow won't be necessary. I do think at least a drumstick is apropos. Texas was inside the ten and would have had a first down. If the knee being down was called, Texas most likely would have still scored a touchdown. They were fired up and on the move. On top of that, they would have taken their time and kicked the darned extra point.

And lets also not forget the interception by Texas that was called an incomplete pass. The ball was caught and tucked before contact with the ground by the player's back. I was sure I saw a Cali flag on one of the refs sleeves after that play... ;)

El Pistolero said:
Looks like he's doing a lot better job than he did at unc-ch of letting people that actually understand the game (i.e., asst. coaches) do the coaching and play calling while he just recruits and strolls around the sideline.

desertBrew said:
Just prefer that he gets picked up by a team besides mine and is not in my division ;).

Young (Yeah, I think he's coming out) and Bush will probably go 1-2 in the draft. That bodes well for the Pack. Not in our division. ;)

I'm now in love (in a non gay way) with A.J. Hawk. I REALLY hope we draft him.

As for the lateral TD where Young's knee was down--they probably would have scored on the next play anyway--especially the way Young was moving the ball. I don't think that TD had much bearing in the game. SC's defense was terrible. I'll bet there were 50 missed tackles iunthe game, and 48 of them were on Young. That guy is amazing.

let's not forget he had over 200 yrds passing and over 200 yrds rushing. he throws side-arm, but his running ablility opens up a lot of the passing lanes.....

after seeing Sportscenter last night, i think the Texans will trade D. Carr, and get Bush and Young. Sounds crazy, but lets see ...........

DeRoux's Broux said:
let's not forget he had over 200 yrds passing and over 200 yrds rushing. he throws side-arm, but his running ablility opens up a lot of the passing lanes.....

Yea, I saw that as well. I'm not backpeddling but wasn't he 30-40 in completions?? I guess you forget about that as you watch him running into the endzone repeatedly. Starting to change my mind on him now :eek:.

Orrelse - AJ Hawk - YES!!!. Or Paul Posluszny from Penn State (how's his knee?). We need a friggen stud linebacker. And a..., and a..., and a...

Hey Desertbrew, I recognise the guy in your Avatar, but can't for the life of me remember the film. I recall he was a guy who was pushed around at work and finally flipped and burnt the building down. What was the film??

BlightyBrewer said:
Hey Desertbrew, I recognise the guy in your Avatar, but can't for the life of me remember the film. I recall he was a guy who was pushed around at work and finally flipped and burnt the building down. What was the film??

Office Space. Great flick :D.

desertBrew said:
Orrelse - AJ Hawk - YES!!!. Or Paul Posluszny from Penn State (how's his knee?). We need a friggen stud linebacker. And a..., and a..., and a...

I haven't heard anything on Pos yet...I think Hawk is the guy we need to take though. He'd be our Urlacher. We SO desperately need a stud LB.

Yes, plenty of other positions too, but IMHO you build great defense around strong LBers. Can you imagine Diggs, Hawk, Barnett? Holy fright I like that.

Mock drafts that I've seen have us split with taking Hawk and "Super" Mario Williams, DE from NC State. I'd be okay with him, but I prefer a high motor intense LBer over a guy that takes occasional plays off.

I'm starting an AJ Hawk petition. Please sign it!!!! :D

ORRELSE said:
I haven't heard anything on Pos yet...I think Hawk is the guy we need to take though. He'd be our Urlacher. We SO desperately need a stud LB.

My bud is with you on Hawk. I'll take your and his word on it. Pos one the Butkus award this year.

ORRELSE said:
You guys can just give up on Hawk. The Texans want him real bad, and I'm convinced their most likely move is to parley their #1 into two 1st round pics...one for Hawk.

And may I just say that as much as all this man love I'm seeing for VY is killing me, it's still nice to finally see a little football gettin talked here.

El Pistolero said:
You guys can just give up on Hawk. The Texans want him real bad, and I'm convinced their most likely move is to parley their #1 into two 1st round pics...one for Hawk.

And may I just say that as much as all this man love I'm seeing for VY is killing me, it's still nice to finally see a little football gettin talked here.

Beer and Football go hand and hand. We could very well have a football forum here. Just one for these emotional chit chats!! College, Pro whatever.

I thought the Texans really had to work on their O-Line though as well...

El Pistolero said:

not man love for VY, but respect. he had a good year, and won the big one. he deserves the props.

the smart thing would be for the Texans to beaf up the o-line. hard to pass up the skilled guy's that are there though....

El Pistolero said:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

DeRoux's Broux said:
the smart thing would be for the Texans to beaf up the o-line. hard to pass up the skilled guy's that are there though....

You aren't kiddin'....Reggie Bush will look very pedestrian behind that line. I think Carr is a decent QB but he doesn't have a chance behind that line. Good observation.

Back