Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Homebrewing video game in development

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
annasdadhockey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'd give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
cdubbaya
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This is awesome!

It would be cool if there were interactions with other real users where you could swap recipes, barter for ingredients and possibly host events at your brewery.

I also like the idea of the Brewpint, but maybe you work to place 1st in a world brewing competition, working your way up from very small local and regional contests and earning "reputation points" that serve as status, as well as entry into other competitions. You could unlock new features as you increase your reputation as a brewer.

Good luck, I look forward to playing it!

Honey Double IPA

Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
seandanger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
If you make it, will they buy it (the beer)? Can you make bad beer, people won't buy?
Yes, you can definitely make bad beer! The quality of your beer, like in real life, is based on a number of factors -- namely your equipment and your employees' stats. You can choose stats by leveling your employees and hiring new ones to target which attracts you most. You can tune your staff in order to focus on more risk and more reward by increasing "potential quality", or less risk and less reward by increasing "consistency". Of course you can strike a balance between the two as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
Is there some kind of advertising, distribution, marketing aspect of the game? That might be a good generation thing. Start Local, then State , Then Region, national, international
Yes again! That's where the quality of your beer comes in. Different marketplaces have different customer expectations.

When you start out, you are unknown as a brewer and can only sell to 1 or 2 marketplaces. One of the first marketplaces, a local corner store, doesn't sell much beer, and as such, their customers don't really expect the beer to be that great. So, starting out, you are able to sell there, but you don't make as much profit as you will later on, once you're selling to a specialty store that caters to drinkers of high quality Belgian beers, for instance. You can even do market research at any of the marketplaces to find out more details on what their customers prefer to drink, and what their spending budget is like. That will give you an idea of how to price your beer, and which styles of beer to sell at which marketplaces. Marketplace customers even change their tastes as the seasons change.

Here's an example of the (beta) Marketplaces view. This is an unresearched Marketplace:

This is what it looks like after you perform some medium level market research, from this data you can learn that making American Lite Lager or Irish Red would be your best bet, and selling them for 28 coins apiece is about the range you want to sell at.

So the idea is that as you grow, you get to choose whether to spend your money on better brewing, higher yields in production, more marketplaces to sell to, more recipes to brew, etc. You're always trying to make the highest profit possible in order to grow your business as fast as you can.

And as you noted, that parlays well into the "generation" aspect of the game -- depending on how you grow the business, you might not have reached international distribution by the time the first playthrough ends, for instance. The idea is that each time you play through again, you discover more of the game. And since much of what you're exposed to is random, it should be entertaining each time.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I'm not a big video gamer. Probably because I grew up before computers.
I'm interested in this game though!
I'm not sure how wide a consumer base you have for all your work with the game being based on brewing, but then again I don't know jack about your world.

It looks like it could be fun to me though and I'll watch the thread and see if I have any input worth your time.

To keep it more real, the character should be a slightly portly middle aged guy. That would play to the demographics of the typical homebrewer, but you probably want to appeal to people who buy more games.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Capn_Bill Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
MichaelBrock
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I would play it! And I'd like to add another vote for "sim like" rather than "saving princesses". I may have missed it, but what device(s) are you planning this for?

Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
chriscax
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you ever played "game dev story" this would be an excellent format to follow or at least get ideas from. I would totally go for a game like this!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
JimmytheGeek
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2489

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandanger View Post

The other idea I have is adding some narrative to the game via an "ultimate quest", which is "The Search for the Brewprint". The Brewprint is a mythical recipe that will slay a dragon / save the princess / rescue the president, etc. You don't know what the ingredients are, but as you go along and win various brewing competitions, you gain more pieces of the puzzle. The game would then end as you completed the Brewprint and brewed the resulting beer.

What do you think of those?

I'm building in Unity, and currently plan on releasing it for iOS and Android. If there's enough interest in those I'd make a PC/Mac/Linux version as well.
This sounds like a great story line, being a fan of quest-based games. Perhaps we'll see you in the Humble Indie Bundle at some time with your PC/Mac/Linux version, which can totally sync with the mobile version to maintain continuity of the game across platforms?!
Bottled: :(

Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #18
seandanger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubbaya View Post
This is awesome!

It would be cool if there were interactions with other real users where you could swap recipes, barter for ingredients and possibly host events at your brewery.
Thanks! I think user to user interactions would be great too, but right now it seems to be out of the scope of the project. Since it's just myself and the artist, we'd be stretched too thin to add multiplayer features. My hope is the game does well enough to fund further development so I can add features like that in later.

I am exploring the idea of having a "taproom" for your brewery that automatically manufactures / sells beer for you, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubbaya View Post
I also like the idea of the Brewpint, but maybe you work to place 1st in a world brewing competition, working your way up from very small local and regional contests and earning "reputation points" that serve as status, as well as entry into other competitions. You could unlock new features as you increase your reputation as a brewer.
That's exactly the way it works Competitions have various rewards, some of which unlock new recipe types or new ingredients that you can't make certain beers without. Some competitions can only be entered if your team has a certain stat, something like a "Thieve's Guild" of brewing that you can only access if your team has high enough dexterity. Or a "Chemist's Club Brewing Competition" where you need over 30 intelligence in your team to be able to enter.

I'm glad the people like the idea of the Brewprint. Depending on our target release date, I'll probably add it in.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #19
seandanger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
I'm not a big video gamer. Probably because I grew up before computers.
I'm interested in this game though!
That's great to hear. Like I said, I'd love for it to be accessible both to beer enthusiasts who don't game, and gamers who don't brew.

Quote:
It looks like it could be fun to me though and I'll watch the thread and see if I have any input worth your time.
I'd appreciate that, thanks a lot!

Quote:
To keep it more real, the character should be a slightly portly middle aged guy.
LOL, we'll definitely have to have an employee or two like that

Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
seandanger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
I would play it! And I'd like to add another vote for "sim like" rather than "saving princesses".
Really the quest would be about obtaining the Brewprint, the "save the princess" or "rescue the president" tropes are just jokes for what actually happens when you obtain the Brewprint. They're not so much important as actually getting the Brewprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
I may have missed it, but what device(s) are you planning this for?
Currently it's planned for iOS and Android mobile phones. I have it running on tablets too but it would take additional time to fix all the various display issues, and the current plan is to release it on mobile first to see if it gains any traction. I don't want to spend another month (and more money on equipment) getting it to work on tablets if the game doesn't sell well anyway.

That said, my team is considering running a kickstarter campaign in order to raise the funds needed to add extra features and bring the game to tablets, so if we wind up doing that, and it's successful, that's a way for us to find out that, yes, it is popular enough to warrant the extra work for supporting tablets. In that case, we would release a little later than currently planned, but add more features and more device support. It really looks great on the iPad so I hope this would work out.

Quick Reply