Homebrewing on resume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage

Reaction score
I am doing an overhaul of my resume (adding and removing things) and I have a section of "INTERESTS". I think I am going to put it down, and was wondering who else has homebrewing on your resume. :ban:

It couldn't hurt, unless someone you send it to is like a temperance advocate or something. It is unique enough to stand out of the crowd though and you might get lucky and have an HR employee who is into it as well.

I debated putting in on mine, I ran out of room but ended up leaving it out.

If you have the room, put it on! There are so many people who homebrew (esp in engineering feilds it seems) it may just spark someone who sees it into thinking more about you.

Just my two cents, but I think it would certainly help and can in no way hurt.

I keep it off. Instead I feel out how the actual interview is going and decide whether to bring it up then.

I generalize people who have no knowledge of homebrew, to assuming we're a bunch of rednecks with guns and pickup trucks. Of course I have all of the above mentioned items, but that doesn't make me a redneck.... does it?

Unless you're applying for a chemist job, I'd leave it off.
Honestly, you're wasting valuable real estate with the whole Interests section anyway. HR people have dozens of resumes, and one or two positions. You need to grab their attention with your cover letter and the first page of your resume. They don't care that you go fishing with your friends, or build ships in bottles.

I completely agree with putting it on your resume. I am in a professional field (aviation) and it is completely acceptable to have a interests section on your resume. Infact its very common place. I have a interests section on my resume and HOMEBREWING is on there.

I would leave the entire INTERESTS section off. Spend some time here - Resume services and tips from Monster

All this does depend on what field you are looking in and your skill level within that field.

I am going into Marketing/Sales, and am just graduating. I think that the section provides them with something other than just job experience (everyone has that) and gives them a quick insight into what kind of person you are (good comment on the redneck generalization, that would be a bad impression). Most companies hire based on two things, can this person do the job and would I like to work with this person. Many people meet the qualifications. I am going to chat with career services at my school and see what they say. The way I see it, if I made homemade cheese and was really interested in it, that wouldn't be a problem to add. I am not saying I am a professional drinker or anything. I don't know though, it is a tough one.

I had considered this idea, but rejected it over the concern that the interviewer might have a different mindset over alcohol. Not just temperance issues either. The interviewer might wonder what your Monday mornings are like, or even question a sick day on a Friday or Monday.

Especially, if this is a manager that has past experiences with alcoholic employees.

My philosophy is better safe than sorry. This is your one chance at the job you want.

Especially if you're just graduating, don't put it on there, unless the job you're applying for happens to be with a brewery.

I know for a fact that the people I work with looked more favorably upon my resume because I like to cook (they are foodies). It gave us something slightly less formal and intimidating to start off with, before we moved into the bulk of the interview.

But I can see the viewpoint of those that mention the HR person or interviewer may wonder about someone who producers his own alcohol. If you do include it, just make sure your references are top-notch.

I would leave it off. I agree with jmd87, i've pulled it out in an interview before when an hr rep asked a particular question which home brewing fit the "answer" perfectly. it started a whole new conversation which really took the edge off of the interview. in the end i was offered the job and turned it down. lol. but i'd deem an interests section as inappropriate for an adult resume.

yes, cooking is more generic and can apply to making beer. :D

I don't even have an interests section on my resume.

I would leave it off. I agree with jmd87, i've pulled it out in an interview before when an hr rep asked a particular question which home brewing fit the "answer" perfectly. it started a whole new conversation which really took the edge off of the interview. in the end i was offered the job and turned it down. lol. but i'd deem an interests section as inappropriate for an adult resume.

I have not had that many jobs as I am just graduating. I have held six altogether (two of them interning for mutual fund companies, where I ultimately want to work). Do you have any suggestions at filling space if an "interests" section is indeed not a plus?

I would think that if someone was going to consider you a drunk because you make your own beer, that would not be someone you would want to work for. If they are quick to make snap negative judgments about you based on a hobby, they are probably a jackass anyways.

If you are hurting for a job leave it off, if you have enough skills to go where you want to go and have room on the resume it may be just the thing to separate you from the crowd.

I can perfectly understand not wanting to offend based on maybe previous employees having alcohol problems. On the other hand isnt that a little bit of a stretch. Just seems a little ridiculous. I agree with the above post that says employers are looking to hire someone qualified who they can work with. If you have an interview you are already qualified. At the interview they are seeing if you will fit. Thats the bottom line to any interview.

One more thing...............If you have to "go ask someone at your school" or have never actually got hired into a profession where you need a resume. Seems like your posts are sort of uninformed.

Let the arguement begin:ban:

I wouldn't put it on the print copy, most people would just see it and go "huh?". Feel out the interview and mention it if necessary.

I attend Northeastern University and we have a "Co-Op" program where hundreds of businesses post internships. These are large companies and the jobs require a variety of skills. We have to apply to these (sending a resume and, depending on the position, a coverletter), go on an interview and then they select who they want. These are mostly paid positions that last 6 months at a time and we have the oportunity to go on 3 of these. I have thus been on numerous interviews and have worked on my resume before. The "asking someone at my school" comment was that I understand that when you are applying to a full-time position (not a 6 month internship) the employer is looking for different things on your resume. Northeastern has a career center (like many other schools) that assists students who are graduating. I was referring to asking their opinion on the matter as they have a better idea than I on this (it is what they are paid to do).

I have not had that many jobs as I am just graduating. I have held six altogether (two of them interning for mutual fund companies, where I ultimately want to work). Do you have any suggestions at filling space if an "interests" section is indeed not a plus?

IMO you resume should only be about a page long. This is some advice given to me by my mentor of sorts:

- the first thought that comes to mind is that you should only indicate relevant academic/work experience on the res.....this would allow you to get it to one page.
- always qualify your experience----what did you do and how?
- always quantify your work experience---what were the results?
- did you lead teams? use examples
- Did you inspire change? use examples

I would think that if someone was going to consider you a drunk because you make your own beer, that would not be someone you would want to work for. If they are quick to make snap negative judgments about you based on a hobby, they are probably a jackass anyways.

From my professional experience, you just described 90% of all corporate HR managers. :D

Thanks! Right now it is only 1 page. I have my school information and relevant jobs, a skills section, and interests section. Thanks for the pointers on what to write under the jobs. I have most of that, but the suggestions on what to put on there never hurt (especially in this economy).

Right now it is only 1 page.

Don't spill over onto a second page. Multi-page resumes almost always get pushed off to the side.

I say this because I've been in the position of hiring photographers and a well-presented portfolio is what I'm really after.

I hire people, so I see a LOT of resumes when I have a position open. I'm AMAZED at the complete garbage that comes in as resumes for high-level engineering positions.

If a resume has an 'interests' section, I skip that section. In fact, I think adding personal interests to one's resume is a bad idea -- at the "reading your resume" level, nobody cares. If it's important, it can be covered during the interview process.

In short, skip the "interests" section completely.

You're much more apt to run across someone who's going to be taken aback by "homebrewing" (either because they think it means you're a drunk or because they think it makes you sound like a fratboy) than someone who thinks it's a good thing. If it comes up in conversation naturally, that's one thing - but having a passion for good beer still, to a lot of people, sounds like you're someone who just loves beer. Be realistic with what you're trying to accomplish, there are a lot more people who view that statement negatively than positively.

It just doesn't sound... professional. We can argue all day whether that SHOULD be the case or not, but at the end of the day you're trying to get a job in a crappy economy. Be pragmatic.

I would definately leave it off. You want your resume to stand out, but in a positive way. This has the potential to stand out in a negative way depending on the person looking at your resume.

Especially if the resume is "thin" anyway, homebrewing may not look like an asset. As Bird say, whether it's founded or not isn't the issue- the issue is what the employer thinks.

If someone really wants to know if I'm a well-rounded person, a little "interests" section isn't all that helpful anyway. So what if I kayak, read, brew, hunt, hike, backpack, camp? Unless your hobbies are volunteering in a homeless shelter and soup kitchens (which might make you look like a nice person), who cares what your interests are?

I would rather read a resume giving me concrete information on your ability to perform your job, and grow as an employee. So, use "action" words about your skills. Like, "Developed contingency plans", "Stategized market sales", "Introduced methods for counting", etc, for whatever your job entailed. Even as an apprentice, I would look for that WAY before I would care if you read Ulysses in your spare time.

Like the others said, less is more. One page is all I'm scanning, so don't "blah blah blah" on that page. I want to scan the facts, I want to see if you're motivated (that's why the "action" words) and I DON'T want a list of duties you've performed in the past. I know what executive assistants do, for example. So, I don't need a list. However, if that assistant "integrated departments to increase efficiency", that's important to me!

I have a good friend in HR and she advocates leaving EVERYTHING personal out of the resume and even out of the interview. The reasoning is that you don't want extranious info on the resume. The issue is what you've done and are you qualified for the position and there are very specific rules as to what an interviewer is "technically" allowed to ask, also you don't want to waste the time of the person weeding through stacks of resumes. The reason for the interview is basically the same. If your resume qualifies you and they want to know if the can work with you they will get a sense for that from how you speak and interact in the interview.

Lastly, pretend that the person reviewing the resume's has some sort of prejudice. If that person is a tea toddler or hates motorcyclists or scrapbookers or whatever, you may have less chance of landing the interview.

If that person is a tea toddler or hates motorcyclists or scrapbookers or whatever, you may have less chance of landing the interview.

* tea TOTALLER

+1 on leaving it off. If your potential employer is interested in your interests, they'll ask you during the interview. If they're not, then there's no point in making your resume appear even the slightest bit unprofessional.

* tea TOTALLER

+1 on leaving it off. If your potential employer is interested in your interests, they'll ask you during the interview. If they're not, then there's no point in making your resume appear even the slightest bit unprofessional.

Busted. Thanks, I should have proof read better. :mug:

I am going into Marketing/Sales, and am just graduating. I think that the section provides them with something other than just job experience (everyone has that) and gives them a quick insight into what kind of person you are (good comment on the redneck generalization, that would be a bad impression). Most companies hire based on two things, can this person do the job and would I like to work with this person. Many people meet the qualifications. I am going to chat with career services at my school and see what they say. The way I see it, if I made homemade cheese and was really interested in it, that wouldn't be a problem to add. I am not saying I am a professional drinker or anything. I don't know though, it is a tough one.

Don't put it on. Remember writing a resume is not about divulging everything about your character, it is about truthfully applying what you have done to make you seem fitting. The reality of it is, you just have to get in the door. Don't lie, but don't tell unless asked. If it were for a job in a brewery or a roadie or something like that...then it would be proper. Now if the interviewer says "Hey you wanna go to this place that has 100 taps"...then I think you could launch into...."well you know, I actually homebrew".

I keep it off. Instead I feel out how the actual interview is going and decide whether to bring it up then.

I generalize people who have no knowledge of homebrew, to assuming we're a bunch of rednecks with guns and pickup trucks. Of course I have all of the above mentioned items, but that doesn't make me a redneck.... does it?

yes. yes it does. :D

i'd leave it off. education, work experience is all a resume needs imo.

Maybe include more white space throughout. Having a densely packed resume with text within 1/2" of each margin makes it unreadable. Try to space things out a bit more, use a slightly larger font (some of the older HR folks will love you for that!), wider margins.

If in the course of pursuing any of your interests you've held a leadership position, such as president, treasurer, etc, it might be worth mentioning under a section called "Leadership Positions" rather than "Interests."

Unless you believe it will interest that employer specifically, leave it off. ALL the experts say you shouldn't have an interests section on your resume and you should maybe feed them a little information like that in your second or thrid interview.

The other thing is you'd be surprised what can turn someone off: coaching pop-warner football = jock, volunteer at an art museum = snob, work on political campaign = ???,

Latest posts

Back