Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Homebrewer Ben Starr, finalist on Tv's Master Chef season 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #201
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Anyone else think that consolation prize was a little un-subtly self-promoting? A year's worth of free MasterChef™ cooking classes, which anyone can take (hint hint) but for you it's free!
Yeah...that segment just felt way to weird and "stilted" as he was clearing reading a telepromptor for that. I'm surprised he didn't suggest a website for "more information."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #202
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

The hell is this crap?

Quote:
As of August 15, 2011 customers of DISH Network will be the first to access new episodes of FOX shows online; all other online viewers will be able to watch 8 days after the episode airs. DISH Network is the first TV provider to launch with this feature but more are coming soon.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #203
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
The hell is this crap?
Yeah, that's the new shift in online streaming. For right now the shows are on Hulu. But now that the networks realize that people are watching online instead of on tv- the cable/dish provides are cutting theses sorts of deals. Because obviously if we watch tv on the internet, we're cutting the cable/satellite providers out of the loop.

And if the provider owns the network or channel, their going to do it to their own first.

It's sort of like if the USPS cut a deal with email providers that in order to get email you'd have to type in your zip code everytime, and they charged you.

Hulu has started a premium service with a monthly fee as well. Certain programs are only available to those who pay.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #204
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 384 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah, that's the new shift in online streaming. For right now the shows are on Hulu. But now that the networks realize that people are watching online instead of on tv- the cable/dish provides are cutting theses sorts of deals. Because obviously if we watch tv on the internet, we're cutting the cable/satellite providers out of the loop.

And if the provider owns the network or channel, their going to do it to their own first.

It's sort of like if the USPS cut a deal with email providers that in order to get email you'd have to type in your zip code everytime, and they charged you.

Hulu has started a premium service with a monthly fee as well. Certain programs are only available to those who pay.
Looks like I'll be watching less TV then. I'm already on the verge of cancelling cable (as soon as I can convince the wife).
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 08-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #205
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1579 Times on 1126 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Hulu, Netflix and a digital antenna and we've got all we need.

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor, Wild Cider, English Cider
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 08-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #206
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
Hulu, Netflix and a digital antenna and we've got all we need.
Except now Netflix has that "two tiered" membership thing going on, and Hulu is pushing a lot of programming on the paid side, and the digital over the air signal in my area is pretty wonky sometimes, but that's pretty much what I use, at least the antenna and Hulu free.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #207
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1579 Times on 1126 Posts
Likes Given: 650

Quote:
Except now Netflix has that "two tiered" membership thing going on, and Hulu is pushing a lot of programming on the paid side, and the digital over the air signal in my area is pretty wonky sometimes, but that's pretty much what I use, at least the antenna and Hulu free.
Yeah, I was a little irked about the Netflix shift, but it's still cheaper than cable. I don't watch Hulu too often (SWMBO does much more than I do), and I guess widely available signal is another perk of life in the east coast megalopolis. I get full signal from two major cities, and more channels free over the air than I used to have to pay for with cable (prior to digital, that is). Only thing lacking is sports coverage.

I do, however, get Fox over the air from multiple sources so watching Master Chef isn't a problem

Up Next: Flanders Red, Belgian IPA
Primary: Malt Liquor, Wild Cider, English Cider
Souring: Lamebic, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: English IPA
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5, Best Bitter, Spiced Winter Warmer
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #208
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1266 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Good job to those that survived that episode.
That Salmon pressure test was truly diabolical.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #209
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataintchicken View Post
Good job to those that survived that episode.
That Salmon pressure test was truly diabolical.
But wasn't watching Ramsey strip it down so fast really amazing? Made me want to learn to do it. He was effortless.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #210
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1266 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
But wasn't watching Ramsey strip it down so fast really amazing? Made me want to learn to do it. He was effortless.
It's fun seeing it done so well. I wish I was able to do that so effortlessly.
It's all about practice, practice and more practice.

Now the fish guy next door at the Chinese market, he has MAD skills.

Quick Reply