Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Homebrew as barter item when our currency is worthless?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #1
nectarofthegods
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Homebrew as barter item when our currency is worthless?

My wife and I are becoming as self sufficent as we can. We are buying land, I am starting a small farm, we grow our own food, building a root cellar, try and make everything we can because 1) we feel our, ahem... "free market" system has turned into a morally deplorable system and we want to be independent from it as much as possible, and 2) we don't know how much longer it will be around anyway. I was just wondering how many other homebrewers are thinking that tasty brew will make an excellent means of exchange when TSHTF, and brew there own to get away from the system of economic slavery we are currently under. Alcohol consumption goes up during times of civil unrest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

im thinking we should be stocking up on guns and ammo and body armor, not farmland. we should be stopping the destruction of out nation, not running from the wake.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarofthegods View Post
1) we feel our, ahem... "free market" system has turned into a morally deplorable system and we want to be independent from it as much as possible, and 2) we don't know how much longer it will be around anyway.
1) Admirable proposition - many complain about our society, few do anything to change or remove themselves from it
2) Don't forget to stock up on tinfoil for your hats!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you look at the zombiepocalypse threads you will see that when the crash happens many of us are going to declare ourselves "King of the Sacred Barley Water" and trade our beers for nubile slave girls....so that we can repopulate the planet.

I mean there is a great precident for this for brewers providing a much needed food and water replacement.....Partigyle brewing provided for small table beers for the kiddies to drink when the water was bad....

That's why we have started the GAP thread to explore non-traditional beer making with common grocery items. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/gap-...rocery+Produce

I even designed my label for the "snake oil".......er I mean beer...

I figure I'll have my kingdom pretty well covered.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 02-17-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasterpodunkarizona View Post
im thinking we should be stocking up on guns and ammo and body armor, not farmland. we should be stopping the destruction of out nation, not running from the wake.
I find it ironic that you choose to stock up on tools of destruction to save our nation from being destroyed.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't know if I'd take it to that extreme, but there is nothing wrong with learning some self sufficiency. It will pay off even during times of natural disaster.

If for some reason things go to sh!t, all HBT members are welcome to join my brewing commune. We'll be somewhere in northern Idaho or northwestern Montana most likely. Bring your brewing equipment.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
I find it ironic that you choose to stock up on tools of destruction to save our nation from being destroyed.
+10 on this one. I think a combo of the two might work as the firearms can be used for hunting as well

Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
no1likesme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
x2

ten characters
Bottled: Irish Stout
Bottled: American Pale Ale
Bottled: Cherry/pomegranate apfelwein

YOU LOST THE GAME!!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I like the idea of bringing back bartering as a more viable means of exchange, especially in times of financial hardship. Even now, I try to work on a barter system whenever I can. Obviously I need some currency for living expenses, but when I do computer work on the side I'll just trade my services for whatever the other person can provide. Chiropractic work, welding services, auto maintenance, peaches, tomato plants, whatever. When you think about it, both parties are getting to cut out at least 3 layers of government involvement. In addition, it takes less effort for both parties to fulfill their end of the deal when they are professionals at providing those services. Currency is great for many things, but as government starts taking a bigger slice each time it hits an account it quickly saps value from that medium. I know that even bartering is taxable, but how can they tax it if they don't know what it's worth and it's never written down?

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
nectarofthegods
Recipes 

Wow, I shoulda guessed the homebrewing DIY attitude on this forum would bring such quick replies! The farm land is something we would do no matter what. I have been woking on small sustainable veg/fruit farms for the last 4 seasons and know it is my calling. The firearms and ammo, well, I am non-violent so I may regret that moral stand someday but it is were I stand today. We are very into fostering the local economy and even local government. My thinking has been when things get so big that you can't show up on your elected officals front yard to chew him out then the government is too big!
On a side note... this forum rocks! I have learned alot since joining up! Thanks guys!

Quick Reply