Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Home improvement salesmen rant

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #31
ThaBrewFather06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Yes, there is such thing as skilled labor but does it really take a roofing PHD to lay shingle?

BTW, where do these roofing companies that employ american workers exist in the south? Every time I see a crew, no matter the company, they are are not speaking English.[/QUOTE]

Haha good point I was talking more about my line of work than roofing really, but didn't make that clear. This has been a good discussion tonight. I don't really know roofing that well but I wouldn't want a non contractor to at least supervise my roof being put on.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #32
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrewFather06 View Post
Yes, there is such thing as skilled labor but does it really take a roofing PHD to lay shingle?

BTW, where do these roofing companies that employ american workers exist in the south? Every time I see a crew, no matter the company, they are are not speaking English.
Haha good point I was talking more about my line of work than roofing really, but didn't make that clear. This has been a good discussion tonight. I don't really know roofing that well but I wouldn't want a non contractor to at least supervise my roof being put on.[/QUOTE]

Like I was saying, $60 an hour for a plumber.. ok fair enough.

$9 k for a one day, 6 man job with at least 3 k profit built into this number? Just disgust me to think that some people are dumb enough to pay so much.

I asked the salesman how many roofs they do a week. He told me he runs 3 crews of 6 and they do on average 15 roof jobs a week. Do that math.

Perhaps I should get in the roofing business..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #33
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrewFather06 View Post

BTW, where do these roofing companies that employ american workers exist in the south? Every time I see a crew, no matter the company, they are are not speaking English.
Haha good point I was talking more about my line of work than roofing really, but didn't make that clear. This has been a good discussion tonight. I don't really know roofing that well but I wouldn't want a non contractor to at least supervise my roof being put on.[/QUOTE]

All it takes is one supervisor who knows what he is doing to direct these guys who are working so that they know and understand how to properly do the job.

If a job is done improperly by hispanic labor, it is almost always the supervisors fault because while the labors are working, doing what they think is right he is in the truck eating a Bojangles biscuit talking to his wife on the phone.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #34
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryAvgGuy View Post
As you can probably tell, I favor migrant workers because they represent the values and work ethic that use to be present in this country. Now we are all entitled. Most of these guys work hard, long hours for very little and never complain.
So, you do SEO/Web Marketing work spending long hours with few breaks on client websites for a low wage without complaint right?

Old 03-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #35
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
That work ethic is still alive and well in this country. Immigrant workers are exploited as modern day slaves working for pennies on the dollar to Americans because they pack 10 of them in a 1 bedroom apartment and take their wages back to their country. Hiring a $12 an hour Juan Valdez is akin to Nike outsourcing their labor on sneakers to a sweat shop in China, it is part of what is ruining this country.
In America the free market determines what a job is worth, not what someone "thinks" its worth.

Immigrant workers are in no way slaves are you kidding? Never heard of a slave that willing-fully illegally crosses the border to work for slave wages.

What many don't see is that the US is evolving. A greater percentage work in this country is shifting towards the service industry, leaving the grunt work for less fortunate people who see it as a good paying job.

If you want to point the finger at someone, point it at the labor unions. They are the reason why american manufacturing companies have a choice to go bankrupt of go overseas.

Its a global economy and manual labor is no longer considered a good job paying job.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #36
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
So, you do SEO/Web Marketing work spending long hours with few breaks on client websites for a low wage without complaint right?
Part of your statement is correct. No, I don't complain because I have no one to complain to. If my job sucks its my own fault because I created it.

I work long hours by choice because I enjoy being productive and enjoy making money.

As for low wages, I keep a roof over my head and enjoy an occasional PB&J sandwich.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #37
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Understood but Juan making 12$ an hour doesn't have a supervisor or he would charge more.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #38
Blademaker
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have a general handy man, damn near on speed dial, that takes care of all my houses/rental property. He comes running when I call, and I pay him a flat rate per day. I pay for supplies.
He's worth every penny, but I'll never tell him that.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #39
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Also to me if you get charged 9000 dollars and it takes the crew one day the same crew could just mess around and make it take 3 days and you would feel as bad, but because they are good at what they do you want to punish them if you get a good they they work like clockwork. 3000$ profit is not that bad to me working in the hot sun with the danger of falling and salaries to pay. Each of those 6 guys make at least 15$ per hour which is around 600$ per day n labor plus you have gas cost for your trucks, insurance of around 25$ per day on big companies, and permit fees, etc... So the company probably is clearing around 1500$ in my opinion that's a reasonable profit for re roofing a house. The owner probably has a salary of 80k a year

Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #40
liquiditynerd
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Man, this is what kills me. Literally and figuratively. So u think they have general liability insurance, workers comp, and benefits. For 4@(63 sake, u think they pay taxes on those earnings, social security, Corp tax?

Yea you got Them on the price, awesome walmart should start selling roofs. so I have to compete with this? You been on a roof in the south? It sux. Extrapolate that forty years and guess what, theyre broke, financially and physically.

I know it's expensive but that's the way it goes. Roof it yourself if you want to save money. Do u or don't u support your community?

....just add water.....

Quick Reply