Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Home coffee roasters, a question...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I do mine almost exactly like Chuggs. I use a chopstick and stir until the first crack (when the beans begin popping, or making a cracking sound).

Then I stop stirring and place the chimney on top, holding it in place with a gloved hand. This "first crack" will cease and there'll be a period of no cracking or popping sounds for several seconds before the "second crack" begins. This second crack will be quieter but much more rapid than the first crack.

I usually let this second crack go for 5-10 seconds, resulting in dark brown beans. Any longer and the beans begin smoking and burning and will be a dark black and covered with an oily sheen. I suppose some people like this Starbucks-like roast but I don't know any serious roaster who do.

I then dump the beans into a colander and either stir with my chopstick or pour back and forth between two colanders to rapidly cool.

The photos below will show you how I use mine. Note the popcorn popper (I use a Toastmaster) has hot air vents coming out the sides of the bottom and not from below. Note also the buildup of 5 years worth of coffee on the once clear chimney.

Use this outdoors, or at least in the garage, because chaff from the coffee beans will go everywhere. I find that once the temps get below 45F or so it takes too long for the popper to heat the beans sufficiently and I then resort to my FreshRoast indoors under the range hood.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For what it is worth...

The NEW Fresh Roast 8+ is going to have USB capability. They will have roasting software so that you can create roasting curves and run it from your PC. The roasting chamber is also much larger, which will be nice.

NICE...

Been roasting on my replacement Fresh Roast 8+ today, bought EVERY bourbon cultivar that Sweet Marias sells, 2 pounds of each. MMMMM

Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #13
summersolstice
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
For what it is worth...

The NEW Fresh Roast 8+ is going to have USB capability. They will have roasting software so that you can create roasting curves and run it from your PC. The roasting chamber is also much larger, which will be nice.

NICE...

Been roasting on my replacement Fresh Roast 8+ today, bought EVERY bourbon cultivar that Sweet Marias sells, 2 pounds of each. MMMMM
Sounds like a nice upgrade from my Fresh Roast 8. I used to order green beans exclusively from Sweet Maria's but my last two orders have been from burman.com. The prices are generally better though the selection isn't as great.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 AM   #14
The Pol
Recipes 

Well, I bought a coffee press today, after some reading and learning, I thought there is no point in buying the best beans, roasting them at home, and then tossing them in a drip coffee maker.

So, I get home and use the press for the first time... totally worth it.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #15
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3000 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Well, I bought a coffee press today, after some reading and learning, I thought there is no point in buying the best beans, roasting them at home, and then tossing them in a drip coffee maker.

So, I get home and use the press for the first time... totally worth it.
Are you using a burr grinder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 11-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #16
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
Are you using a burr grinder?
Yes.

I have the Fresh Roast 8 Plus

Burr Grinder

French Press

Totally an awesome coffee experience

I will probably seriously look at the NEW Fresh Roast 8 Plus with USB and roasting software when it hits the market. That is almost too cool to pass up

Old 11-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
summersolstice
Recipes 

I've been using daily the same Bodum grider I bought at Target for over five years and it's never failed me. I can make any grind with the exception of the extra fine espresso grind (for that I use my Turkish coffee grinder)which I rarely drink anyway. That and my French press, along with some Kenya, Ethiopian, or Sumatran coffee gets me on my way each morning.

Old 11-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
RIBeer
Recipes 

This seems like a cool way to get into roasting my own coffee. Just a technical question though - will I still need to manually stir the beans if I'm using one of the hot air poppers with the side vents? Isn't that the purpose of the side vents, to help stir the kernels, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
summersolstice
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIBeer View Post
will I still need to manually stir the beans if I'm using one of the hot air poppers with the side vents? Isn't that the purpose of the side vents, to help stir the kernels, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
For the first minute or two the beans just sit there without moving and that's when I stir. If you don't stir at the beginning the beans exposed to the vents will be much darker than the rest, resulting in an uneven roast. I think that after the first couple of minutes the beans become drier and lighter and they do move around quite a bit - kind of like a rolling boil when brewing. That's when I place the glass chimney on top and discontinue stirring.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #20
TristanL
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I started with a West Bend Poppery II and moved to a Stir Crazy/Convection Oven (known as SC/CO or SC/TO). I love it! It costs under $100 to put together and can roast a pound at a time. Here is a link to SC/CO roaster:

http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

I've been roasting for 3 years now and will never go back! I typically buy my beans from Green Coffee Buying Club and occasionally from Sweet Marias.

One thing is for sure, coffee is a great, person and inexpensive gift to give to friends and relatives!

Quick Reply