LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
kjung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Home Brew Clubs

We have a club here that's about to celebrate it's 2nd anniversary, and we are just (finally!) getting to the point where we are going to start collecting mandatory dues (up until now, we've been on the honor system).
How does your club handle dues? We're looking at an annual fee, and then a two-tiered monthly collection (members/non-members. Non-members will be allowed their first meeting free to check us out, and after that we will start collecting).
Do you have discounted rates for families and couples?
Do you have an "activity" committee? If so, are they elected officials, or strictly voluntary?
As you can see, we've been flying by the seat of our pants for the last couple years, so any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Hi Kjung, which club is this? I'm a part of BOSS (Brewers of South Suburbia) you can check it out at Brewers of South Suburbia

BOSS has annual membership dues of $25 and our membership year runs from April - March, I believe. It costs the same no matter when you pay your dues, its not prorated.

We have fees for each meeting, with a discounted fee for members (usually $7 - 10, depending on where the meeting is, etc.) Spouses of members pay the member meeting fee.

There are a couple of events throughout the year that are only open to paid members (including our annual outing to the Fulton Street Goose Island in February and the December Holiday Party at Maple Tree Inn).

BOSS has officers, who are elected.

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

We have IBRU (Illana Beer Rackers Union). A couple of our people are/were part of BOSS, and that's what we're basing our ideas off of.

Be careful what you wish for, friend, 'cause I've been to Hell, and now I'm back again- Steve Earle

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Austin Zealots have never had any dues. All the money the club needs to run all year is raised by the annual homebrew competition. It's not BJCP sanctioned, so there is near zero expense to run it. They create some wonky categories every year which makes it fun to enter, and the judges are very good even though most aren't BJCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
cyclogenesis
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
We have a club here that's about to celebrate it's 2nd anniversary, and we are just (finally!) getting to the point where we are going to start collecting mandatory dues (up until now, we've been on the honor system).
How does your club handle dues? We're looking at an annual fee, and then a two-tiered monthly collection (members/non-members. Non-members will be allowed their first meeting free to check us out, and after that we will start collecting).
Do you have discounted rates for families and couples?
Do you have an "activity" committee? If so, are they elected officials, or strictly voluntary?
As you can see, we've been flying by the seat of our pants for the last couple years, so any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!
G'day Kjung,
Where in Chicago are you guys based? I am in the western Burbs (CH/Westmont area) and looking for a HBC!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Our dues are just $12 annually, paid in January. That way it is simple to prorate dues for members that join later in the year.

We have a Prez, a VP, a secretary, and a treasurer. Terms also run from January for a year. We vote in the January meeting for officials, unless of course they are running unopposed.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Our club doesn't have any dues. In addition to raising funds through our annual competition, we raffle off a number of bottles at each meeting.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjung View Post
We have IBRU (Illana Beer Rackers Union). A couple of our people are/were part of BOSS, and that's what we're basing our ideas off of.
Cool! I see you guys are based or meet in Crown Point - BOSS is meeting there tomorrow! Is Bob H. involved, since that's his neck of the woods? I like him a lot, met him at Mid Country and the BOSS holiday dinner, very nice guy.

Good luck, if I can help, let me know.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
G'day Kjung,
Where in Chicago are you guys based? I am in the western Burbs (CH/Westmont area) and looking for a HBC!
Hi Cyclo, it looks like IBRU is based in NW Indiana and according to their listing, meets in Crown Point. You can find a list of homebrew clubs at the AHA site here Homebrewers Association | Find a Homebrew Club

You're welcome to check out BOSS (Brewers of South Suburbia) but I think you can find one more convenient and closer (we've met in Blue Island, the Pullman neighborhood, Tinley Park, Frankfort, and Kankakee).

BOSS is meeting tomorrow (Friday) at Crown Brewing in Crown Point, IN. You're welcome to join us, the beer style of the month is dark lagers, send me a pm and I'll get you info.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Old 01-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Cool! I see you guys are based or meet in Crown Point - BOSS is meeting there tomorrow! Is Bob H. involved, since that's his neck of the woods? I like him a lot, met him at Mid Country and the BOSS holiday dinner, very nice guy.

Good luck, if I can help, let me know.
Yes, we're based out of Crown. All but one of our meetings have been there, the exception was at Beer Geeks Pub in Highland. Bob was very instrumental in our forming. Almost all of us frequent his HBS in CP, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Hi Cyclo, it looks like IBRU is based in NW Indiana and according to their listing, meets in Crown Point. You can find a list of homebrew clubs at the AHA site here Homebrewers Association | Find a Homebrew Club

You're welcome to check out BOSS (Brewers of South Suburbia) but I think you can find one more convenient and closer (we've met in Blue Island, the Pullman neighborhood, Tinley Park, Frankfort, and Kankakee).

BOSS is meeting tomorrow (Friday) at Crown Brewing in Crown Point, IN. You're welcome to join us, the beer style of the month is dark lagers, send me a pm and I'll get you info.
You beat me to the response!

Albert Einstein

Quick Reply