Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > home brew clubs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default home brew clubs

I was finally able to attend my local homebrew club meeting. I have to say it was a real let down. It seemed like the guys running things thought it was some professional tasting event and did nothing but hammer everyones beer.

I was really hoping to just hang out and talk about brewing and what not. Maybe find some guidence or experience to help me along the way. No one even mentioned brewing. What is everyone elses experience?

Oh, I suggested maybe having a brew day where we get together and brew some batches. Apparently no one ever thought of that before??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I think if I went to a meeting and the guys running it were hammering on everyone's beer, I'd never go back again.

I'd love to get involved with a local club, and have actually looked into it a little bit, but my schedule is a little tight these days.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been talking about going to my local homebrew club meeting for months but I never end up going. I tried to go once and got lost and I haven't tried to go again

Primary:
Secondary: Smokier Smoked Porter
Kegged:

Old 10-16-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

ive spoken with a couple around here. Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. Basically everyone throws money in, and then brew up 10 gallons to keep at this guys house. Then drink the next time you're there.

Hell I do that at my house anyways. Besides, I know my beers are good. Im not looking for a critique or a hammering from another brewer. I would rather take a critique from a barfly, than a self proclaimed beer expert.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
ive spoken with a couple around here. Doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy. Basically everyone throws money in, and then brew up 10 gallons to keep at this guys house. Then drink the next time you're there.

Hell I do that at my house anyways. Besides, I know my beers are good. Im not looking for a critique or a hammering from another brewer. I would rather take a critique from a barfly, than a self proclaimed beer expert.

that is how I felt, there were a few people there that were nice and I'd love to have some people to hang out with who were into this as well. I'm going to the next meeting and we will see how that is.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

One of the things I was looking for when I first came to this site was info on a local brewclub, but hell, y'all are basically all the brewclub I need!

I'd still like to be able to hook up with a group of folks - preferably ones with attitudes like those around here - but it seems those aren't all that common.

Personally, I think GRABASS has the right structure.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had a similar experience about 10 years ago. I showed up at a meeting and was totally ignored for 30 minutes. I waited for a good opportunity to stand up and introduce myself as a prospective member. Bad move. Apparently guest introductions wasn't on the schedule and everyone just glared at me. I hung around for a few more minutes then split. Fukc them, I never went back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
I was finally able to attend my local homebrew club meeting. I have to say it was a real let down. It seemed like the guys running things thought it was some professional tasting event and did nothing but hammer everyones beer.

I was really hoping to just hang out and talk about brewing and what not. Maybe find some guidence or experience to help me along the way. No one even mentioned brewing. What is everyone elses experience?

Oh, I suggested maybe having a brew day where we get together and brew some batches. Apparently no one ever thought of that before??

Old 10-16-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
trinitone

Recipes 

Here in Philly, we have H.O.P.S. (Homebrewers of Philadelphia and Suburbs). Unfortunately, Todd, you're a little past the Philly 'burbs. I haven't actually been yet... hoping to make my first meeting on Wednesday. But, I have a feeling it is a lot better than some self proclaimed experts bashing everyones' brews. The meetings are held at my LHBS and the couple that runs it is awesome. So, I imagine the club will be as well.

Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
One of the things I was looking for when I first came to this site was info on a local brewclub, but hell, y'all are basically all the brewclub I need!

I'd still like to be able to hook up with a group of folks - preferably ones with attitudes like those around here - but it seems those aren't all that common.

Personally, I think GRABASS has the right structure.

What is Grabass?

Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
What is Grabass?
turn around, and ill show ya