Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Home Brew belly Be GONE!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 03:29 AM   #1
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Home Brew belly Be GONE!

Since home brewing ramped up last october i began drinking more of it. As such i have gained 10lbs. Now this may not seem like much but i was already weighing in at a svelt 275. Now at 285 i am thinking it is time. My parents have aquired a few workout items (top end exercise bike, tread mill, weight bench).

7 years ago I got on a huge exercise kick and dropped to 238. Of course after the gym (university was on holiday) was closed for a couple weeks the routine that took me 2 1/2 months to form was eliminated in that two weeks and my weight slowly climbed over the next 2 years.

My colesterol is ok, can be better but doesn't require medicine.

I would like to get into the 230s, i think that would be my ideal weight. i think the obesity index says my ideal weight is something like 198, but lets face it, at 6'6" i would look like an ethiopean who had only eaten rice for the last 15 years.

If anyone else has a similiar goal of losing a bit of the beer belly post your goals and acomplishments here.

my plan which started today is this:

Stetch
14 min hard cadio on the bike
stretch
20 min of hard cadio on bike
stertch
tredmill for 5 min to cool down.

By hard cardio i mean get heart rate to target for that amount of time.

Notice in the whole post no mention of cutting out home brew

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 AM   #2
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just today I decided that I would get busy running. I go to the gym regularly but this is all about lifting weights, so my heart could just stop and the muscles would not have meant a thing.

My plan:
Run 3 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
Run 4 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
Run 5 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
Run 6 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
Run 7 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.
(if still alive)
Run 8 miles 5 times in 2 weeks.

My goal is to get where I can run a half marathon at any given time without having to spend half a year getting ready.

I am a long way off and fear I will injure myself with this plan, but...
I was on the pot and great ideas come from there...

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 03-20-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
SpamDog
Recipes 

Hey count me in... Trying to get from 255# to under 200 at 6'3 that puts me about right.. no exact plan on how to do it yet.. probably just do the gym workout.. we get a free membership at the local gym thru work so I guess I am going to have to take advantage of that.. my other thought was that I have been wanting to get back into martial arts... hmm.. have to see what is around here for schools.

SpamDog

Penguin Brewing

Upcoming: Berry Melomel, Coffee Cream Stout, Plum Mead, Acerglyn.
Fermenting/Bulk Aging: Spiced Cyser, Grape Pyment, Sweet Mead.
Bottled: Maple Porter, Honey Red Ale, JAO, Pear Mead, Sweet Zinfandel.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Okay, I need to get on this as well. I'd like to drop 20 lbs by summertime. Maybe we should form a club within a club!

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 03-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just ran 2 miles tonight without being forced to. The US Navy has a great system of height vs weight tables. Once you fall outside those numbers they do some measurements and figure out your body fat. I'm over the weight by a few pounds, and come in at 20-21% body fat.

I was actually thinking of starting a belly off competition for the guys in my division.

Basically I think I am willing to give up some bad habits and exercise more so that I can drink beer at the same rate.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #6
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've just received a year's membership at a local gym and am waiting for the cordial What-To-Do List from the trainer. I don't know about trading in the keg for a six-pack but I'm at 6'2" 230# and want to drop to 195# and still enjoy a couple of pints after work.

Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 03-20-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm 6'3" and weigh about 215. I'd like to get back to 190 if I can. Bottom line: burn more calories every day than you consume (which can be tough if you're drinking a lot of beer).

Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
rod
beer -just brew it
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

make room in the boat for me!
before home brew 195, now 205.
like orfy said - i refuse to buy new pants.
i get to the gym 3 times a week most weeks,but need to reduce food to balance the beer.

simplified signature:
beer, wine, cheese in various stages of production

Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4376 Times on 3183 Posts
Likes Given: 852

ok, me too. I've always been athletic but didn't exercise for a whole year when I broke my leg. And of course, added a pint or two of beer a day to my diet. I noticed in my vacation pictures I'm getting a little stout. (Get it- stout?). I decided to watch what I eat and to exercise more. Can't give up the beer.

I played hockey last night for the first time in a year (almost a year to the day since the unfortunate accident.). I did pretty well, got a few shots on goal (no goals) and some nice checks in. We had so much fun, we played an extra period for a total of 4 periods. I'll admit it to you guys- I hurt like hell this morning. I need to dig out my bike as soon as this snow goes and get myself in shape. I'm starting to look like I'm 43 years old.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
EmptyH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

8 months ago I wieghed 255 and at 5'9" that was way too much, so far I have lost 20 Lbs(I still have quite a ways to go). For me it was all about lifestyle. I work with computers which basically means I sit on my @$$ for a living. 8 months ago I was working in suburbia, parked 30 feet from the door to where I work, so basically I sat at home, walked to the car, drove to work, walk 30 feet, sat for 8 hours and went home.

That all changed when I got a job in Cincy and moved down to northern Kentucky. The closest parking garage with a reasonable rate was 3 blocks from where I worked, and to get to where I work I had to walk up to the sky-walk. So instead of a 30 foot walk I now have 3 blocks and several stairs that I climb everyday. Also my new house has a fireplace and I have 3 large trees worth of unsplit wood that I am currently splitting.

Shortly after starting work here I found out that if I went in the back way to the building there were escellators (and it was actually a half a block shorter), and of cource for the firewood I could rent one of those hydrolic (sp?) logsplitters and finish it in a weekend, but you know what... I feel better and I am losing weight so I still take the long way into work with the stairs, and I am splitting the wood with an axe.

My problem is exercise just for the sake of exercise doen't work for me. I have to find something I "need" to do. Basically I have to invent reasons to get off my @$$ and do something. So what happens when I finish splitting the wood, well I have plenty of landscaping projects I have planned and after that I'm sure there is something else I can find to do the hard way.

Primary-Hefe
Secondary-Stout
Bottled- Vanilla Stout
Drinking- English Brown Ale, Amber Belgian Ale

Quick Reply