Old 01-12-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Home Brew & BBQ

Does anyone think there is a kindred spirit with folks who brew and BBQ?

If you are close to Austin, Texas near the end of April, perhaps you might want to swing by the Texas Eggfest. It's a Saturday dedicated to folks who cook on the Big Green Egg. Most of them enjoy beer. It's on Lake Travis in a private marina which is a great venue.

I thought it would be cool to have Home Brewers there with kegs of brew on tap enjoying barley pops and awsome Q.

If you are interested, head on out to http://www.texas-eggfest.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

That's funny Ed. I was just talking about this with my wife tonight as she BBQ'd one of the best pork roasts I have ever had!

I have found that not only are homebrewers some of the most creative, innovative, industrious and helpful people I have ever met, but most I've talked to have a great love for good food as well as great beer.

John

Old 01-12-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Ize

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In a guy sorta-way...

I love you Ed.

I think the beer and BBQ and food in general are required for a good life. The Germans made an art form out of beer, and their food, and if you ask me Belgians don't get enuf respect on this as well.

But us here across the water have taken BBQ and made it our own. So no matter if you smoke, grill, or burn it to a crisp, if you cook it over coals or wood and you like it with beer... you're ok with me.

And I gotta get me one of those BGE's.....

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 01-12-2007, 02:23 AM   #4
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Homebrewing changed my life.

The Big Green Egg changed my life.

Ed, you aren't interested in adopting, are you?

Old 01-12-2007, 03:13 AM   #5
Brewtopia
"Greenwood Aged Beer"

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Oh man, I love Barbecue! I could eat it everyday if I had to. I make a couple of pretty mean Beer-B-Q Sauces. One with Smoked Porter and the other with Chipotle Ale. Nothin' better than a slab of Pork Spare Ribs dry rubbed and smoked low and slow over apple or cherry wood then slathered in "Naked Spur Beer-B-Q Sauce. Man, I'm hungry!

naked-spur-label.jpg

naked-spur-chipotle-label.jpg

Old 01-12-2007, 03:30 AM   #6
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ize
But us here across the water have taken BBQ and made it our own.
Though not much of a German thing, Germans had their fair share in american BBQ as well. They came up with the design of the modern BBQ pit where you have a fire box and a smoking chamber.

When I still lived in NC, I got myself one of the wood fired BBQ pits that are pretty much a big drum with a fire box. I really like it. There is nothing better than BBQ for a large cook-out since everything can be prepared before the guests arrive and I don't have to waste time attening the grill. And lets face it, the price of a pork shoulder beats almost every other meat out there.

Kai

Old 01-12-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
Gregg Meyer

Recipes 

I have been BBQin low and slow for over 20 years now and just got into the Beer makin and I love that too. i have been walking almost every day for at least 30 mins to keep the weight off. Brew and BBQ are some strong medicine, The BBQFORUM is a wonderful place to go and talk and learn q from some very smart hard working americans, and some brits too. Check it out. The bbqers I know like beer allot and maybe sometimes too much but that is really not my business. My beer consiumption is anywhere from one a day to 2 beers a week. i brew only one keg at a time and brew as I drink it up. Wife does not share my enjoyment of a good tasting beer. She thinks the boughten stuff is good. "cringe"

Oscar,

Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #8
Ize

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Though not much of a German thing, Germans had their fair share in american BBQ as well. They came up with the design of the modern BBQ pit where you have a fire box and a smoking chamber.

When I still lived in NC, I got myself one of the wood fired BBQ pits that are pretty much a big drum with a fire box. I really like it. There is nothing better than BBQ for a large cook-out since everything can be prepared before the guests arrive and I don't have to waste time attening the grill. And lets face it, the price of a pork shoulder beats almost every other meat out there.

Kai

True true. I am also a HUGE fan of pork steaks. And I've made every single person I know a fan of them as well. My eldest son's mom actually said to me, "you're cooking what???" Her mom had PAN FRIED them... Blasphemy... put those suckers on the Weber on low heat and sauce the hell out of them until they start falling apart and they are EVIL...

Damn...now I'm hungry.

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 01-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cool, might have to make the trip up from San Antonio. I love BBQing, got 4 cookers in the yard. And, I love drinking homebrew!
Don't put the sauce on the meat, put it on the side! My pork shoulder is so good I usually don't even put sauce on it. Now, as a left over BBQ sandwich the next day, then I cover it with our home made sauce! mmmmm now I'm hungry!

Töpperwein Brewery

Last edited by JnJ; 01-12-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I live BBQing but last time I posted a picture on her you lot took the piss out of my well used grill.

I aint playing anymore.

Quick Reply