Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Holy Smokes!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #21
dirtymike1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

OHHHHHH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!! So i picked up the cigars today, I can't begin to describe what I've got!!!! I have about 300 at home now, and I'm baby sitting the hell out of the humidors for a few hours now. I haven't really looked through what I have, I want to wait till the boxes are a little more stable...

But I do know that I have about 25-30 very good "South American" cigars that I can't wait to try. I'm also waiting on one more humidor and about another 150-200 smokes. I am truly overwhelmed with this new found, instant hobby.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #22
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

So, what does the Fuente selection look like? Any 8-5-8 Sungrowns? I might be interested. (You lucky bastid)

In case anyone hasn't mentioned this yet, cigars need to be kept below 80dF or they could all be lost! Seriously, there is a tobacco beetle, whose eggs tend to survive the fumigation of the tobacco leaves. These "hatch out" when exposed to a consistent higher temperature. They eat little holes through the cigar and sometimes through the cellophane. I'm sure the cigars you got are fine because it sounds like the previous owner took good care of them, but if I were receiving the quantity of cigars like that, I would thoroughly check them over for those tell-tale, perfectly circular, tiny holes. Any with holes should be separated and disgarded. These beetles can spread throughout the collection and ruin other cigars. Many cigar aficionados, when ordering cigars online in the summer months, actually freeze the cigars for a few days upon receipt in order to kill any beetles/larvae that have hatched during shipment. Then they put them in the refrigerator for a day to gradually increase temp. so the cigars don't split open... then into the humidor.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #23
dirtymike1
Recipes 

Well I have 2-3 Fuente's that I can see so far. I haven't seen any of those Sungrowns yet, but I'll keep a look out. I have an awesome Havana long seed last night that was just like dessert. I've got 3 of those left and I'm going to hold onto them for a while. I did find one that is a 1990 vintage, which is really cool! One of the other guys got one that is about 55-60 years old!!!

Thanks for he heads up on the beetles, I'll start looking at them closely for the next few days.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:10 AM   #24
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
So, what does the Fuente selection look like? Any 8-5-8 Sungrowns? I might be interested. (You lucky bastid)

In case anyone hasn't mentioned this yet, cigars need to be kept below 80dF or they could all be lost! Seriously, there is a tobacco beetle, whose eggs tend to survive the fumigation of the tobacco leaves. These "hatch out" when exposed to a consistent higher temperature. They eat little holes through the cigar and sometimes through the cellophane. I'm sure the cigars you got are fine because it sounds like the previous owner took good care of them, but if I were receiving the quantity of cigars like that, I would thoroughly check them over for those tell-tale, perfectly circular, tiny holes. Any with holes should be separated and disgarded. These beetles can spread throughout the collection and ruin other cigars. Many cigar aficionados, when ordering cigars online in the summer months, actually freeze the cigars for a few days upon receipt in order to kill any beetles/larvae that have hatched during shipment. Then they put them in the refrigerator for a day to gradually increase temp. so the cigars don't split open... then into the humidor.
cigar beetles can wipe out your collection, awesome advice!

I enjoyed a nice Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 today to celebrate our 1st place victory... and it was damn good!

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 06-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #25
Smogre

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I enjoy a good Rocky Patel.
Camacho is my cigar of choice.

I wanted to give you guys this little Link regarding beetles.
There can be much debate on the subject.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:42 AM   #26
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smogre View Post
I wanted to give you guys this little Link regarding beetles.
There can be much debate on the subject.
Not sure what there is to debate, but great link.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #27
dirtymike1
Recipes 

Thanks a lot for the link! Very cool.

I have found a few Rocky Patel's in my boxes, haven't gotten around to trying one yet.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #28
Smogre

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Not sure what there is to debate, but great link.
As with anything, people will debate on the details. How cold, how long, how fast, how many, how often, etc., etc.

Quick Reply