Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The HOBBIT......don't bother

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #81
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Finally saw it so I can weigh in. I expected it to be more childish as the Hobbit is a child's story so I won't complain about some of the slapstick and toilet humor. However, too many scenes seemed intentionally drawn out to add filler. I hope the editors cut chops off about 45 minutes of film time in the same way I was excited when the LOTR added an hour of film time to their extended cuts. Other than that it was an enjoyable film and striking in IMAX 3D. I'm glad I paid money to go see it instead of waiting for Netflix.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #82
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would have been perfectly happy waiting to see that at home, I didn't think it was big screen worthy.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #83
joshualoomis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger

Supposedly all the extras not in the original story were things that Tolkien embellished over the years after publishing the original story.

Overall though, a really good flick that honors its Tolkien roots IMO.
this is not true. there are many departures from tolkien's middle earth. the largest departure is the use of azog in the movie. in tolkien's mythology, azog was killed by dain ninety-one years before bilbo was even born. it would seem to me that peter jackson needed to attempt to create more intensity as the dwarves traveled. rather than simply traveling to the lonely mountain, in the movie they are fleeing azog and the other orcs.

i also missed the conversation with the eagles. they speak in the novel and do not speak in the movie.

it is simply not 'the hobbit.' it is not the novel. it's an interpretation of the story which leads up to LOTR (with plenty added from jackson's imagination).

i will be seeing it again in the theater, though for now my original sentiments remain true: i'm not disappointed and not thrilled with the movie. everyone should go see it, though, to make up their own minds.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #84
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Again. I am not "hating" I am saying that people like ME (very few of you are so lucky) will HATE it for being so far from the book.

It was a good action movie? Great. Enjoy next weekend while watching the next Hollywood piece of crap.

You are probably also a member of the crew that judges music like "It has a good beat, and I can dance to it!"

Old 12-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #85
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post

Del Toro is awesome. His touches on Rise of the Guardians make it an amazing film. Seriously.

Which of his was your favorite?
Pan's Labyrinth.

You're being kind of insulting to some people though, TBH.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #86
nickster51
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Read the hobbit 5+ times. Re-read it before seeing the movie. I was disappointed.

Slapstick, cheap humor was added in places: burping, troll scene, "that'll do it"-Goblin King. Take it or leave it - personal taste.

Crucial development was missed: Gandalf not mimicking the trolls. Gandalf turning lights into fire in the goblin cavern (how cool would that have looked!). Gandalf throwing down fire that sets wargs on fire in all kinds of colors (another awesome CGI missed).

Why?

People won't accept a humble, shy Bilbo that ends up being heroic. We need it thrown in our face. ie: Troll scene, Saving Thorin from goblin. All of this changes Bilbo's hidden courage/bravery into an in-your-face-now kind of character(!= Hobbit!).

This works good for movie one, but what will happen later in the book/movies? Bilbo has already hit his stride, what's next? Maybe they make him shoot down Smaug.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #87
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Just watched it and enjoyed it. Did NOT enjoy 3d. Man what a headache I've got, it adds nothing to a film. It is not like the books, and I was sad to see certain things left out and didn't understand why other things were added, and yes some of the humor was pretty lame and not needed. But taking it for what it was I can easily see PP's B+ rating. And now I remember why I haven't watched a 3D movie since the 80's.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #88
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1649 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Pan's Labyrinth.

You're being kind of insulting to some people though, TBH.
That is an awesome movie. Figured you weren't referring to Devil'sBackbone, my personal favorite.

Yeah, occasionally I lose patience when my honest opinion is labeled as "hate", so I give em some real hate to chew on. Just how I roll.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #89
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Never seen Devil's Backbone, much as I've been meaning to.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #90
headbanger
Recipes 

Liked 705 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 1418

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Again. I am not "hating" I am saying that people like ME (very few of you are so lucky) will HATE it for being so far from the book.

It was a good action movie? Great. Enjoy next weekend while watching the next Hollywood piece of crap.

You are probably also a member of the crew that judges music like "It has a good beat, and I can dance to it!"

who said you was hatin'?

Quick Reply