Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The HOBBIT......don't bother

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #101
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Peter is re-writing the script as we type!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #102
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakadaka View Post
i haven't read the whole LOTR series, but did read all of the Hobbit about 10 years ago. From what i have heard is there is actually more story in the hobbit htan the whole lotr series. Its a pretty fast paced book, and i have heard LOTR drags on with setting some scenes, and has a lot of fluff that wasn't included in the movies. Also, parts from the appendix to return of the king (?) were included in the hobbit trilogy.
The hobbit contains a ton less information than the Lord of the Rings. Now there's a lot more crud in the Lord of the Rings (screw the Songs) but in terms of scope, the Hobbit is like the original 13 colonies, and the LOTR is like the whole US. The hobbit involves 4 primary locations, Shire, Misty Mountains, Mirkwood, and the Lonely Mountain. The Hobbit paces itself better because the Hobbit is a children's book while LOTR is an adult's book.

Hobbit is relatively simple, with only about 20 or so important characters while Lord of the Rings have countless important characters. The movie glossed over some unimportant parts and some incredibly important parts as well, some for understandable purposes (like having the Army of the Undead end the Battle for Pelanor fields to make it faster) other things that I hate are the entire absence of the importance of things that are super important in the book like the Gifts of Galadriel, also makes the hobbits seem like children for most of the movies (For example, Aragorn built the fire on Weathertop and Boromir threw the stones into the lake outisde of Moria), and many more things. There's a ton of awesome stuff in the movies that's left out of the books that LOTR nerds love. I would recommend reading the books. They may take some time to get into and honestly you could probably skip the Songs, but just read it and I think you'll love it.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #103
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
The hobbit contains a ton less information than the Lord of the Rings. Now there's a lot more crud in the Lord of the Rings (screw the Songs) but in terms of scope, the Hobbit is like the original 13 colonies, and the LOTR is like the whole US. The hobbit involves 4 primary locations, Shire, Misty Mountains, Mirkwood, and the Lonely Mountain. The Hobbit paces itself better because the Hobbit is a children's book while LOTR is an adult's book.

Hobbit is relatively simple, with only about 20 or so important characters while Lord of the Rings have countless important characters. The movie glossed over some unimportant parts and some incredibly important parts as well, some for understandable purposes (like having the Army of the Undead end the Battle for Pelanor fields to make it faster) other things that I hate are the entire absence of the importance of things that are super important in the book like the Gifts of Galadriel, also makes the hobbits seem like children for most of the movies (For example, Aragorn built the fire on Weathertop and Boromir threw the stones into the lake outisde of Moria), and many more things. There's a ton of awesome stuff in the movies that's left out of the books that LOTR nerds love. I would recommend reading the books. They may take some time to get into and honestly you could probably skip the Songs, but just read it and I think you'll love it.
Well said!

I didn't mind that they left out Tom Bombadil either. I Always skip the countless songs.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #104
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3148 Times on 1964 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

Default Les Miserables!

OK, so I didn't give a hoot that The Hobbit was bastardized for the movie.

But tonight I'm off to see Les Miserables, and the director better not have messed with this one. I say it's the greatest story ever told and sacrosanct.

So, maybe I'm a hypocrite. My god I'm excited.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #105
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
So, maybe I'm a hypocrite. My god I'm excited.
I'm excited that Ann Hathaway is in it.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #106
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3148 Times on 1964 Posts
Likes Given: 2661

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I'm excited that Ann Hathaway is in it.
I just watched the trailer. She is gorgeous. And it seems she sings very well too.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #107
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn

I just watched the trailer. She is gorgeous. And it seems she sings very well too.
So I've heard, I've yet to see the film yet though. I heard Crowe's singing is a little robotic, but other than that I've heard nothing but good things about the movie in general. Enjoy

Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #108
carbonzx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I took it as a condensed recreation of the best scenes from the first 3... and the rest was kind of pushing it to be almost walt disney'ish.

Primary - speckled heifer
secondary - black ipa
bottled - dunkelweissen

Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #109
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't read any of the books (too long for my taste) but have seen all the movies. I very much like the LoTR's. I care about the characters and the outcome of the story. In The Hobbit, however, if Bilbo were to vacate the story at any point I would be indifferent. I just wasn't drawn in at all- and to me, that's what makes a movie exciting. Kyle

Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #110
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I'm glad that they broke this into three movies. I know they did it for $$$ of course, but it gives the fans about 8-9 hours of movie rather than 3. I'm good with that! I'm anxiously awaiting the next movie and will purchase An Unexpected Journey once it comes out on Blu-Ray.
Meh.

200 pages into The Hobbit and you're at the final scene.

200 pages into The Fellowship of the Ring, and you haven't even left The Shire yet.

I read the hobbit in less than 8 hours as a child. What can they possibly fill three movies with? :\

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Quick Reply