Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The HOBBIT......don't bother

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Default The HOBBIT......don't bother

Keep in mind that I REALLY wanted to like this film.

Not a super fan, but the books are my all time favorite.

The first LOTR movie moved me to tears by staying true to the book.

I would wager that at least half of this movie was either rewritten, not for time, but just to change it, or was not actually in the book at all.

EFF that.

If you never read the books, then The Hobbit is an absolutely action packed special effects oriented sci-fi train wreck.

I should have been worried by the ads before it. 6 out of 7 of the previews were Syfi channel special effects aliens meet Will smith or Robot Jox or the maker of *retch* twilight's new gem (about aliens that take over human bodies and the love between a douche and his alien infected girl)

I was seriously sitting there scoffing at the ads, saying to myself "The people here want to see a great piece of literature made visual, and they are showing us the equivelant of Starship Troopers ads"...... Unfortunately, maybe they weren't that far off.

Will NOT see the 2nd half in the theatre.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Really disappointed to hear that. I expected Jackson to be as faithful to the work as he was in the past. When I heard he was splitting it up into 3 films, I looked at the relative thickness of each of the LOTR books to that of the single work that is The Hobbit, and became dubious. It's sounding like he took artistic license to a completely new level and made it an ADD-riddled battlefest.

Still going to go see it, but sad to hear what's happening with it. Jackson may be becoming the new Lucas, creating great things and then milking them until they become tragic self-parodies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

That's too bad, just re-read the book to my 11yo son knowing the movie would be out this year.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
Really disappointed to hear that. I expected Jackson to be as faithful to the work as he was in the past. When I heard he was splitting it up into 3 films, I looked at the relative thickness of each of the LOTR books to that of the single work that is The Hobbit, and became dubious.
i haven't read the whole LOTR series, but did read all of the Hobbit about 10 years ago. From what i have heard is there is actually more story in the hobbit htan the whole lotr series. Its a pretty fast paced book, and i have heard LOTR drags on with setting some scenes, and has a lot of fluff that wasn't included in the movies. Also, parts from the appendix to return of the king (?) were included in the hobbit trilogy.

saw it last night too. SOOO dissapointing. the movie never developed a rhythm at all. it was like oh boy we just escaped death. walk for 2 minutes while showing how beautiful new zealand is, rinse and repeat.

i feel like gandalf said "run. RUN!!!!" like 100 times.

i thought the 48 fps was better than i was expecting though. it had a sort of soap opera feel at the beginning, but once you got used to it it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

:EDIT: IT IS VIOLENT. I saw people with kids 7 or 8 years old leave and more squirm. Beheadings, Burning to death...all in the book, but the movie focused on the violence and neglected areas I would like to have seen more of.

It was like fate. Work said take the day off. No responsibilities. I was headed to the grocery when I was like........the 14th.......HOLY HELL!! HOBBIT!

I was by myself, but so what.

Got a ticket, killed some time......

Azog was a MAJOR character in the movie. Remember him?

I might have. Some big bad guy from some historic battle somewhere mentioned 2 or 3 times throughout ALL of the books. He showed up again, and again, and again. I guess to give the orcs a face for continuity. Whatever. Had only one hand, had a metal claw thing shoved on instead? Yeah.....probably in the foreward or the silmarillion or something......maybe.

The stone giants in the mountains, instead of being far off scary things throwing rocks for fun during the thunder, they are actually psychotic beings bigger than the mountains absolutely HELL bent on killing each other. One got beheaded with the whole gang on his knees. Don't seem to recal reading anything like that.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I saw a sneek prescreening in 2D. Tech geeks help me out here, was the 2D in 48fps? I know that not all 3D was in 48fps.

I think that viewing a movie that is shot in 3D in 2D causes the backgrounds to be extra blurry, so I was not impressed with what I saw.

I will have to see it in 3D 48fps just to see if it is better.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Kittyfeet
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I was excited about this until I heard it would be 3 movies, and then I got angry. I'm going to do my absolute best to Not see these until all 3 are out on DVD. This splitting movies in half and thirds, and splitting tv series into split seasons is not making me happy.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfeet View Post
I was excited about this until I heard it would be 3 movies, and then I got angry. I'm going to do my absolute best to Not see these until all 3 are out on DVD. This splitting movies in half and thirds, and splitting tv series into split seasons is not making me happy.
(I saw the 2d fwiw)

LoTR left stuff out by necessity. I fully forgive there.

The HOBBIT added in crapola that wasn't in the book and left out stuff I would have LOVED to see.

In the scene with the 3 trolls, gandalf says not a word. In the book, it was he that immitated troll voices to turn them in circles until morning. LEFT OUT.

Guess it wasn't flashy and special effects enough.

I do feel similarly betrayed to the time when I first witnessed Jar jar and realized that what I wanted to love was crap.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
huntingohio
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I understand the time constraints, but didnt think the first movies were close enough to the book for my tastes.

I had high hopes, but I guess ill wait till i can get it on netflix and not waste the cash on the movie

P1 Strawberry bannna melomel
p2 mixed berry cyser
p3 lemon ginger melomel
2 gallon fermenting kit is OTW!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Well, that's a bummer.

I was planning on potentially seeing it this weekend, if I can get my raytracer working correctly before then.

I heard a sort of "preview" on the radio where they said the fact that they split it up into 3 films allowed them to basically transcribe the entire book into film, getting every word and scene, but that doesn't sound like what they did. Especially if they didn't include the scene with Gandalf tricking the trolls..that was a pretty major scene in the book, and I don't understand why they'd change it except because Peter Jackson is scared of filming scenes that don't include heads being chopped off.

Quick Reply