The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Help me stock my liquor cabinet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
RadicalEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Help me stock my liquor cabinet

Well, I reached legal age some time ago, but due to my brewing habits I have yet to actually purchase any spirits. However, I've been looking to expand my palette recently, so I'd appreciate any advice on which commercials I should buy.

Of main focus, I'm looking for recommendations for a good rum (not spiced), scotch, bourbon, and tequila. I'd also be open to any other suggestions you think are worthwhile.

Here's the catch, though: being the poor college student that I am, I'd like to keep the bottle prices under $25 if at all possible. I'd be willing to exceed that figure a bit on the tequila and the scotch; I know that both of those tend to be a little bit more on the pricy side.

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Ice9
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

DonQ or Mount Gay for Rum.

For bourbon I like the Jim Beam Black Label.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled/Kegged/Conditioning: Orfy's Boddington's clone, Orfy's Old Speckled Hen clone, SN Celebration clone
On Deck: Gumballhead clone, German Pilsner
Drinking: Old Ale, Bourbon Barrel Wee Heavy, Bourbon Barrel RIS

Old 04-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Ok... it's good that you want to get the good stuff, but use some common sense here. Most of your friends are probably in the shooters and mixed drinks stage.

This means if you have a $50 bottle of vodka, they will be mixing it with orange juice to the point that you won't be able to tell Grey Goose from Popov.

Buy a handle (1.75L) of Smirnoff for $14. Anybody who wants to mix drinks can have at it. Buy a bottle of Grey Goose/Belvidere/etc. Anybody sipping (I said sipping, not "shooting) straight vodka can have at it.

Same with Tequila. Cuervo Plata for margaritas and mixed drinks, Azul or Patron or whatever for sipping.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I love good Tequila. The best advice is make sure you buy 100% Agave, othewise it is made with 51% Agave and the rest is sugar. That's why Jose Cuarvo is NOT a friend of mine.

Also, there are 3 types of Tequila. Silver or blanco which is not aged and clear, Resposada which is golden from aging in barrels, and Anjeo which is aged at least 3 years and has the most complex taste, not unlike a good scotch whiskey.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bicardi rum comes in light and dark...different flavors.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
Ok... it's good that you want to get the good stuff, but use some common sense here. Most of your friends are probably in the shooters and mixed drinks stage.

This means if you have a $50 bottle of vodka, they will be mixing it with orange juice to the point that you won't be able to tell Grey Goose from Popov.

Buy a handle (1.75L) of Smirnoff for $14. Anybody who wants to mix drinks can have at it. Buy a bottle of Grey Goose/Belvidere/etc. Anybody sipping (I said sipping, not "shooting) straight vodka can have at it.

Same with Tequila. Cuervo Plata for margaritas and mixed drinks, Azul or Patron or whatever for sipping.
Yeah...vodka's a different story. The better it is, the less you taste. I've kept some druck juice around if the homebrew can't do it, but like you mentioned, I want some of the good stuff for me.

Keep 'em coming! *Scribbles shopping list furiously*

Damn Michigan's shelf pricing!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:39 AM   #7
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Tito's Hand Made Vodka from Austin, Tx is very very good!

http://www.titos-vodka.com/titos_lo.html

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-20-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

For a quality rum, Pyrat XO is very nice, at a little over $20 a bottle. If you can go up to around $35, I'd suggest Oronoco, a wonderfully deep and complex white rum. Both are great sipping rums, best enjoyed from a small snifter.

If you have Trader Joe's in your area, they sell several major brands of fine scotch under their own name, for substantially less than they normally cost. These include Macallan, Bowmore, and Glenlivet.

Maker's Mark and Knob Creek are two nice bourbons that are within your $25 price range, can't go wrong with either. Blanton's is spectacular, but about twice as much.

Sorry, but IMHO there are no tequilas in your price range that won't give you a rash and possibly mess up your shoes! If you know where to shop though, $50 will get you one of the finest tequilas made, Gran Centenario Añejo. This is my old reliable, go to tequila...I've found others I enjoy as much, but none that I enjoy more. Their reposado is good too, but not that much cheaper. (Añejo = Aged, Reposado = Rested and Silver or Plato = white & bottled immediately after distillation. Gold = cheap-a$$ white tequila with caramel food coloring...be afraid!!) Don't buy any bottle if the label doesn't say 100% agave.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:50 AM   #9
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
Tito's Hand Made Vodka from Austin, Tx is very very good!

http://www.titos-vodka.com/titos_lo.html
+1 for the Tito's. For Tequila, my favorite is Cabo Wabo Anejo, though it is on the pricey side. But give it a shot if you ever get the chance.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:54 AM   #10
Austinhomebrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 90

As for rum, If you haven't tried Gosling's Black Seal Bermuda Black Rum, you haven't had rum. It is the bizomb. It rated a "96" at the World Spirits Championships. It has been around since 1806. It is soooo good.

http://www.goslingsrum.com

And it goes without saying that Bombay Saphire is fantastic gin.

Forrest

Quick Reply