Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Help Me Get Into Guns...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Help Me Get Into Guns...

So, I got my FOID card, but I'm not really into guns. I do have a track record of indulging in risky hobbies with a perfect safety record. I've raced cars (wish I could afford to do more), I ride crotch rockets 12 months a year, I have flown airplanes. I tend to approach things from a very analytical viewpoint and with a healthy respect for consequences. I feel this is something that can be done safely with proper training. I am not getting one explicitly for self-defense, if somebody wants my stuff, ok, that's what insurance is for, I can replace it all. I don't have kids, I live alone, I'll be taking a safety course and probably trying out a couple guns before buying anything. I just think it'd be interesting to see what this gun thing is all about. I wasn't raised around guns and my experience is minimal. But life's too short not to experience cool ****.

Of course, if I had several grand burning a hole in my pocket, I have a few ideas on how I'd spend it, but I'm just looking to get into it on the cheap, a few hundred, a gun worth keeping for awhile, something to shoot a few rounds through and see how I feel about it. And since I live in a fairly urban environment and neither my car nor my motorcycle are large enough to carry a rifle, and since I'm just getting my feet wet, I'm focusing on handguns.

At first I just wanted something chambered in .22LR. The cheap ammo is a huge plus. But realistically, I'm not going to be going to the range every week, so the cost of ammo shouldn't be a huge issue; if I'm going to the range enough to really feel the sting of ammo costs, well then, I guess that justifies buying another gun. And although it's not a huge concern with me at this moment, I suppose a 22 isn't worth much beyond plinking. On the other hand, it seems to me like having a .22 in the arsenal could never be a bad decision. I figure there's nothing wrong with having one around, no matter where the hobby takes you. It's like a 500cc street bike... if you've got a spare, someone will be happy to have fun with it, no matter what they have back at home or have ridden/shot before...

I could afford something nice, I suppose, but being realistic with myself, I just want something cheap and decent, that I can get into it a little bit, as a first gun, to see what I think. I don't want to go much over $350 or so. Substantially less would be substantially better. Anybody have any suggestions? or insights? Either specific or general? Links? Articles for newbs? Whatever? ANY (helpful) advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Most indoor gun ranges have guns you can rent on their shooting range. I recommend a compact 9mm. I would stay away from Kel-Tec. (IMHO)

If you want to shoot competatively I recommend joining the Glock shooting club. You can get a discount on a gun. GSSF

Or you can participate in steel matches with a nice .22 Ruger MK III

A couple of places to buy weapons and ammo (or at least get an idea of price) Cheaper Than Dirt GUN Broker Lucky Gunner Guns America

Also look for gun shows in your area.

Guns are not risky. The person behind the gun can be.

Self defense is not about protecting your stuff, it's about protecting a life that is being threatened by the person wanting to take your stuff.

Let them have your coffee maker

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

WileECoyote Likes This 
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
Let them have your coffee maker
Thanks for that. I appreciate the insight. But obviously you have never seen my coffee maker!!! LOL I'm an espresso fiend!!!! Gaggia, FTW!!!!! Haha. Seriously though, I see your point. it's a whole philosophical thing relating to gun ownership and use. I find that interesting as well. Thanks for bringing that up. I have considered those issues, but I suppose I have not come to definite terms with them yet. I do have some thinking to do.

Quote:
Guns are not risky. The person behind the gun can be.
I say the same thing about motorcycles and private planes. Most problems come down to operator error. Regimen, consistently safe habits drilled into your brain so deep as to become automatic and unquestionable... is needed in any such hobby. I'm sure I'll get there quickly with guns, as I have with other endeavors... I just need to first learn which way to point it!

I'm going to check out those links. Thanks.

And yeah.. The Ruger Mk III really does speak to me. I keep looking at that danged thing, thinking, "Man, that's cool...." But I don't really know where I'm going with this. Am I going to be a single gun around for home defense? Am I going to choose to get competitive to the nth degree? Is it going to be a social thing for me (I do have many friends who shoot). I just don't know. It's all new and different. For now, I'm just taking opinions and deciding which path to take.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Rigger103
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you are going to get a hand gun don't start out with a Glock or Glock like pistol I suggest a 22 rim fire pistol such as a Ruger 22 or a Browning 22 or even a revolver. 22S are cheap to shoot and are easy to learn with. I used to own and operate a gunsmith shop and Ill never forget a young kid came in with a Glock 10mm and he was scared to death of it. His hands were shaking like a hooker at confession. He wanted to install adjustable sights because it was inaccurate. I took him out on my range and watched him shoot. I then shot it myself with the inevitable result I expected to see. It shot like 99.9% of the rest of the Glock line up dead on at 20 yards. I was military trained to shoot and before that had guns since about 8 My first "Red Rider" bb gun was a 22 rifle that I kept in my room with ammo. My mom taught me how to hunt. That's right MY MOM. When I was in high school every Friday we took our shotguns to school on the school bus with as much ammo as we could carry to shoot skeet at our school during club period (Last hour of the day) I built a flint lock in shop class. Guns and hunting here in rural PA was a part of growing up in my youth (Im almost 50)
I am glad you want to learn and just remember 2 rules: Always treat a gun as if it were loaded and never point it at anything you don't want to destroy! Perhaps a third rule never take a gun in your house without the action open

You don't choose a life...........you live one

Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
lhommedieu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I would advise getting some training before worrying about what kind of gun you want. Go beyond the NRA safety course. Even though a CCW course is not required by your state, I'd take one given by a recognized instructor, like John Farnam, for example. He/she doesn't have to be a "big" name: Your NRA safety course officer can point you in the right direction for your area.

That said, I like the .22 caliber platform for learning responsible gun handing skills, because it takes literally thousands of rounds to build the skill level you want to have. Think about how much time you spent learning how to fly a plane; guns are no different. Personally I like Rugers but that's just me.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
BrewerBear
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The Ruger Mk II is a great pistol,so is the Browning Buckmark. If you go with a .22 you may also consider a good quality revolver maybe a Smith and Wesson. Not to hard to fing a decent used gun to save a few bucks up front.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger103 View Post
just remember 2 rules: Always treat a gun as if it were loaded and never point it at anything you don't want to destroy!
If i could add to that, a very important rule I stress is never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger103 View Post
Perhaps a third rule never take a gun in your house without the action open
.....and if, as you approach your home, it looks to be broken in to, do not enter, call the police and wait outside. Give them your description so when they arrive they recognize you as the home owner/renter

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
LOL I'm an espresso fiend!!!! Gaggia, FTW!!!!! Haha.
I would have never guessed.....

Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 3

22s are cool and all but I would get a 38 police special. They are readily available and the ammo is cheap. I have a colt that my mom gave me when she retired and it is a sweet little gun.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Aks are a lot of fun too. This is my mall ninja gun. I slapped it together a few years ago. The ammo is cheap and it keeps the zombies away.

Quick Reply