Help me decide...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I buy as part of my premature mid-life crisis?

• Lexis IS

• Infiniti G35

Results are only viewable after voting.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I know you guys probably thought I was dead, but I'm not.

Work has turned into a nightmare. My group is way behind schedule and one of the guys has decided to resign, so my workload went from 12 hrs/day to about 24 hrs/day. :(

Anyway, I am feeling the need to trat myself to something, and I'm going to be buying a new car. These are the two I have it narrowed down to.

Lexus IS:
g_ext6.jpg

Infiniti G35:
1917-g35.jpg

I test drove both of these yesterday. That G35 packs a punch. I got it out on the hwy, and was up at 85 mph before I knew it. I didn't take the Lexus on the hwy due to construction going on near the dealer.

I'm torn, though.

Lexus wins in these catagories:
  • safety (IIHS side-impact scores are better for the lexus)
  • fuel economy
  • appearance
  • originality (there are TONS of G35's on the road here)
Infiniti wins in these catogories:
  • power (about 100 hp more, but I don't really need it)
  • interior space, especially in the back seat
Seems like a no-brainer with the Infiniti only winning on two points (one of which I don't care about). However, that other winning point for the Infiniti is HUGE for me. I need to be able to drive my kids to school in whatever car I get, and the rear seat on the Lexus is very tight.

I'm going to borrow the Lexus from the dealer next weekend for a 24 hour test drive, and we'll pack the whole clan into it for our busy saturday mornings (soccer, swimming lessons & hockey).

-walker

Are they comparable in price as well? I've only heard of the G35, as far as coworkers wanting a "luxury" car. I say go with the interior space.

Or, if you really want a "toy," get an airplane. :D

Walker-san said:
Infiniti wins in these catogories:
  • power (about 100 hp more, but I don't really need it)
  • interior space, especially in the back seat
Seems like a no-brainer with the Infiniti only winning on two points (one of which I don't care about). However, that other winning point for the Infiniti is HUGE for me. I need to be able to drive my kids to school in whatever car I get, and the rear seat on the Lexus is very tight.

C'mon now. We know why you really want that big back seat. Chicks dig nice cars!:cross:

"I need to be able to drive my kids to school in whatever car I get, and the rear seat on the Lexus is very tight."

Maybe you can shorten the kids a bit?

The Tesla is nice, but I drive a lot...can't be stopping every couple hundred miles to recharge. :mad:

It would be a great around town car, but I'm 30 miles for the "big city"... (there's only 1100 people in my village...). ;)

Try to find the police report on which one is stolen more frequently...

I'd say go for more power :D

You don't need the extra HP, but then again you probably don't need to buy either of those cars....so I say go for the HP! :D

Bernie Brewer said:
Fcku the car. Get a Hog. Or better yet, an airplane. Man, if I ever win the lottery.........

I guess I could get a double-seater side car to take the kids to school?

I wonder what the side-impact crash test results are like for a motorcycle.

:D

zoebisch01 said:
I'd say go for more power :D

You don't need the extra HP, but then again you probably don't need to buy either of those cars....so I say go for the HP! :D

I prefaced this by saying I was having a premature midlife crisis. So... I ABSOLUTELY need to buy one of these. ;)

Hands down...Infiniti and the Nissan family have the Lexus and Toyota family beat when it comes to style.

My father-in-law (76) just bought a Lexus. Do a random sampling and you'll find more older adults driving Toyota products.

I say go with the Lexus. The safety and fuel economy are a big plus.... The backseat space wouldn't matter much to me....how long of a ride to school can it be?

See, this just doesn't feel like a "mid life crisis" car... I don't know, they're great cars, but they aren't, at least to me, terribly sexy and horribly indulgant like a true mid-life crisis. They aren't selfish cars, you're thinking about fuel economy and safety and driving the kidlings to school and all that crap.

Admit it, this isn't about having a mid-life crisis; if it were, you'd be buying a Harley to ride on weekends, or a convertible, or something like that. This is all about "Alright, I'm doing well.. the paychecks are big, my stock options are above water, I deserve some luxury in my life!" Not that there's anything wrong with that...

BierMuncher said:
Hands down...Infiniti and the Nissan family have the Lexus and Toyota family beat when it comes to style.
Across the lineup, I'd agree. But when I looked at the two cars in the original post, I was like "those are two different cars?". Damn near indistinguishable, at least from those pics.

I'm picking up my Lexus tomorrow afternoon.

I agree with Muncher's comments on style as a rule of thumb across each family of cars, but that particular Lexus is a bastard child. Much more striking than any other Lexus.

And to Bird: I'll be the judge of when/how my mid-life crisis takes place, thank you very much. ;)

Walker-san said:
I'm picking up my Lexus tomorrow afternoon.

I agree with Muncher's comments on style as a rule of thumb across each family of cars, but that particular Lexus is a bastard child. Much more striking than any other Lexus.

And to Bird: I'll be the judge of when/how my mid-life crisis takes place, thank you very much. ;)
Enjoy man. If you're like me you'll be stopping by Auto-Zone on the way home and picking up a **** load of waxes, polishes, protectants and floormats to go over your floormats.

Oh yeah...it's okay to give your new car a hug before you go to bed.

I'm curious why benz or audi were not in the running? E-Class or A6? I'm more of an EAC about cars than I am about beer and really abhor Lexus. Anyone else feel they are the whitebread of luxury cars trying to emulate Mercedes? BTW, this is just my stupid opinion, the Lexus is obviously a very nice car, to each his own. As cliche as it is, I really mean no offense to any Lexus owners.

There is only one Audi that I like th looks of (the A6), and it doesn't come in a four door sedan, which is an absolute necessity.

As for Benz... not a single car from the is a recommended buy consumer reports. The primary reason is their poor reliability. There is nothing about those cars that I find appealing, and they carry a MUCH heavier price tag that I ws willing to pick up.

Lexus might be a whitebread luxury car, but I'm a whitebread boy. :D

Walker-san said:
There is only one Audi that I like th looks of (the A6), and it doesn't come in a four door sedan, which is an absolute necessity.

As for Benz... not a single car from the is a recommended buy consumer reports. The primary reason is their poor reliability. There is nothing about those cars that I find appealing, and they carry a MUCH heavier price tag that I ws willing to pick up.

Lexus might be a whitebread luxury car, but I'm a whitebread boy. :D

If you're happy that's what counts. I am a benz owner(ml320) who has not had ANY problems. But of course I may be an exception. The A6 is only a four door sedan, so I'm not sure what model you're thinking of. I owned an A4 and really liked the car.
As to there being nothing appealing about mercedes......say hello to my little 600hp friend:
http://www.leipzig-sachsen.de/leipzig-automesse/automobilmesse-leipzig-mercedes-slr.jpg

landhoney said:
The A6 is only a four door sedan, so I'm not sure what model you're thinking of.
Typo. I meant "A5".

landhoney said:
As to there being nothing appealing about mercedes......say hello to my little 600hp friend:
http://www.leipzig-sachsen.de/leipzig-automesse/automobilmesse-leipzig-mercedes-slr.jpg
Not appealing to me. I am not really a sports car guy, and am as surprised as anyone about the car I chose. It's definately as sporty as I'll ever get.

My real preference lies in cars that have a muscle look rather than a speed look (chrysler 300, cadillac CTS, dodge charger/challenger). Unfortunately, those cars are all american and poorly rated in various categories. That made me sad.

-walker

I can not help you with the either of those cars, but i can give you one more option that will hold its value and give you such increadble wood when you excellerate you wont be able to stand up.

Corvette ZO6. My boss has a new one and drove it to work the other day so i asked if i could drive it. He said to be careful of 2nd and 3rd as that is where all of the enginneers are wrecking them on the test track.

I was too timid to give it hell right away and was in 4th going 40 when i thought, "Im in 4th going 40 i can punch it now and not much is going to happen."

I was wrong, in the time it took me to blink i was going 85. Seriously, maybe a second and a half. IN 4TH!!! I think i pooped a little on his leather.

If you truley want a real midlife crisis vehicle this is your vehicle. If you want to pay the money for something that is not that fast(campared), but sexy looking, then you are on the right path already.
How much do those cost? the vett as i drove it was 75K

No pics. I spent the afternoon/evening driving around. I like it very VERY much.

Then again, I've never had a car that was less than 10 years old, so I might have been happy in a brand new anything.

Back