Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Help Me!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 01:35 AM   #1
sudsmonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Help Me!!!

Got a problem. This may affect security. The other day, I told my wife I was going to pick up the makings for the next batch while I was in town. She thought that'd be cool, then asked " Aren't you spending more on beer ,now that you're making ,it than you did when you were buying it?". My blood went cold. I'd been drinking mostly cheap American beer and supplementing with imports occasionally. Now I only buy beer at the store for the bottles . I've gotta empty them before I can use them. I told her that she wasn't supposed to realize that and we dropped it. She was grinning because she'd caught me off gaurd. My HBS guy says that I should explain to her that I'm drinking a much higher quality beer at a lower price than I'd pay at the store. Maybe that'll work. She only drinks wine and tequila so that probably won't impress her. A word of advice: If you should find yourself caught in the same situation, don't say " You weren't supposed to figure that out." .

Stupid Sudsmonkey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2005, 05:11 PM   #2
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmonkey
Got a problem. This may affect security. The other day, I told my wife I was going to pick up the makings for the next batch while I was in town. She thought that'd be cool, then asked " Aren't you spending more on beer ,now that you're making ,it than you did when you were buying it?". My blood went cold. I'd been drinking mostly cheap American beer and supplementing with imports occasionally. Now I only buy beer at the store for the bottles . I've gotta empty them before I can use them. I told her that she wasn't supposed to realize that and we dropped it. She was grinning because she'd caught me off gaurd. My HBS guy says that I should explain to her that I'm drinking a much higher quality beer at a lower price than I'd pay at the store. Maybe that'll work. She only drinks wine and tequila so that probably won't impress her. A word of advice: If you should find yourself caught in the same situation, don't say " You weren't supposed to figure that out." .

Stupid Sudsmonkey
Just tell her you could could be out at the bar drinking beer instead of being at home doing something you enjoy. Just Kidding...(Dark_Ale..The instigator)

Old 06-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
Born Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ah, the wife unit catches on fast! My wife has been keeping a mental note of all the "brewery items" I've been buying and has begun to ask questions about my new "hobby". I tried to explain to her that there is some initial start-up costs, but shortly I will be brewing premium ales for mere pennies. This summer I'm brewing from a bucket, what will she do when I move up to a three-tier stainless 15 gallon setup? Of course, previous experience has told me it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. The key is to give the wife a little task around the brewery so she feels involved in the operation.

Primary :empty
Secondary : empty
KEG: empty

May your beer never be empty, and a roof always over your head, and when your day comes, may you get to heaven before the devil knows your dead.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:50 AM   #4
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Brewing Co.
The key is to give the wife a little task around the brewery so she feels involved in the operation.

Shoot. My wife tells me to stick that in my ear.

I've found she is much more susceptable to new equipment if I tie in the fact that I need it to brew her "special brand". She's asking me to add fruit and honey and crap so I come up with silly ideas that prove why I need a SS conical fermenter for her blueberry suprise. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 06-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i just turn the tables on her. did we really need new curtians and matching towels for the bathroom?

works just about everytime

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 06-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #6
smorris
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ran into that, so I made her a batch of wine. She enjoys it and loves passing out bottles to her friends. So twice a year I'll make a batch of wine and no problems, because all the new equipment can be used in the winery, or so I claim.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #7
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Of course, previous experience has told me it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Yup! I think my wife appreciates the fact I have a hobby that I can do at home, as opposed to something that requires time away from home.

As an aside, she hates beer. Well, she did until I got ahold of some Lindemann's lambic, and she loves it! I'm gonna see if I can make something similar for her. Ya know, to grease the wheels.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 06-12-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
Dark_Ale
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
Yup! I think my wife appreciates the fact I have a hobby that I can do at home, as opposed to something that requires time away from home.

As an aside, she hates beer. Well, she did until I got ahold of some Lindemann's lambic, and she loves it! I'm gonna see if I can make something similar for her. Ya know, to grease the wheels.
My wife totally supports the brewing, and she loves the way the house smells when the hops are added. Just Thursday she brewed her first batch....Honey Wheat. We Racked into secondary yesterday, Has a wonderful smell, Taste great. I have always made strong hoppy ales in the past, but hopefully this will be a beer we both can enjoy. Does anyones wife like a certain homebrew? If so what kind?

Old 06-13-2005, 03:43 AM   #9
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Ale
My wife totally supports the brewing, and she loves the way the house smells when the hops are added. Just Thursday she brewed her first batch....Honey Wheat. We Racked into secondary yesterday, Has a wonderful smell, Taste great. I have always made strong hoppy ales in the past, but hopefully this will be a beer we both can enjoy. Does anyones wife like a certain homebrew? If so what kind?
Unfortunately (or maybe not?) my wife leaves it all to me, unless I really need some help. I made her try some orange-corriander weisse I made. It came our really nice.....she about gagged. Just not a beer person, I guess, unless its something sweet, like Lindemanns. She did ask me if I knew how to make mead, though.....

Anyway, it's probably all for the best. At least she's not "sampling" every day and getting all chubby unlike myself.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 06-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Getting into homebrewing for economic reasons is pure folly. It's a hobby. Probably the best hobby, but a hobby nonetheless. People spend money on hobbies because they like them, it's fun and rewarding. And just like anything else, if you start brewing, you always want to get better, and that means you usually spend more money (equipment, ingredients, etc). But, I'll bet the average woman who takes up scrapbooking spends twice as much as any homebrewer on their respective hobbies. As far as hobbies go, homebrewing is pretty cheap. Hell, try scuba diving if you want to lay out some bucks. Don't compare homebrewing to buying beer in the store, you will lose every time. You also do yourself a disservice because that's not why you took up homebrewing in the first place. Just tell your wife it's a good thing you didn't take up drag racing, scuba diving, or power boats. Once she realizes how tame the hombrewing hobby is in comparison, I don't think the subject will come up again.

Prosit!

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Quick Reply

Newest Threads