Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Help!!! I've Been Robbed!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
james3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help!!! I've Been Robbed!

this has got to be one of the most horrible weekends ever! to start with, i woke up friday morning to discover that my equipment had been stolen! i put so much time and money into setting it all up. they got my HLT, my mash tun, and my boil kettle (all kegs w/ lots of upgrades). They're probably at the scrap yard by now along w/ all the other copper and stainless steel that was on my porch . To top it all off with, i lost my wallet the same day so i couldn't even be upset about my equipment cause i was worried about that.

BUT, things are starting to look up! i got my wallet back w/ everything in it, so now i'm focused on getting revenge on whoever jacked my equipment. this is where you guys come in! here is my plan (any suggestions would be appreciated):

i'm going to put another keg as bait on my porch (chained somehow so they can't see) and hook up a car battery or something to it . i want whoever did this or tries to steel from me to suffer!! i don't want to put them in the hospital, but i want it to hurt and i want them to think twice about stealing from me again! so... should i use something more powerful, less powerful?!? PLEASE HELP!!!

-james

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3
i'm going to put another keg as bait on my porch (chained somehow so they can't see) and hook up a car battery or something to it . i want whoever did this or tries to steel from me to suffer!! i don't want to put them in the hospital, but i want it to hurt and i want them to think twice about stealing from me again! so... should i use something more powerful, less powerful?!? PLEASE HELP!!!
A car battery alone won't do anything without a more complex circuit that I won't describe here. Nor will I describe how to hook your keg up to anything else intended to hurt someone - if the thief is determined, he'll get your keg AND win a court case against you because you had a reasonable expectation of causing harm to him.

Here's a better idea:
Set another keg outside and hook up a security camera (they make software to use a webcam as one). You'll have to be sure there's enough light to capture a clear image or use a low light camera. Make the keg a little difficult to steal by either filling it with water or chaining it down - that way you'll get max footage of the idiot trying to take it. Take the footage to the cops.

If the local cops are really bored, you can work with them to stake out your house the night you set the keg outside. That way, you won't need the camera.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Bad idea. What happens if the shock kills them? I understand that you are pissed but you could end up killing someone.

Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

Old 01-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Vorlauf
Bad idea. What happens if the shock kills them? I understand that you are pissed but you could end up killing someone.
Or the paperboy decides to take a seat.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 01-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Swan makes a small camera( color, low light, wireless, 9 volt battery) you can plug the reciever into VCR's RC jacks. Great anywhere surveillance. Sold at Radio Shack, about a $100.

The Older I get the Faster I use to be.

Last edited by Gnome; 01-20-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just be glad they didn't get anything else. I've been robbed for real, and let me tell you...when you go out to your car in the morning and see the window smashed in and all your stuff gone (I was moving and had all my vital stuff, like my palm, satellite radio, and personal records in the car)...you feel pretty violated. That kinda sucks about the upgraded kegs....they're not easy to find, nor cheap to modify.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #7
james3
Recipes 

thanks for the info! glad i didn't go that route, but i'll probably set up some kind of camera like yuri and gnome suggested!

#1 - bohemian pils

on tap
#1 - hefeweizen
#2 - english pale ale

up next
#1 - kolsch

Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

One more thing...

I couldn't find any federal law about booby traps, but setting a booby trap is a felony offense in most states. You don't want to mess with that sort of thing. There is even legal precedence for trespassers winning cases against property owners who have set traps, see Katko v. Briney.

EDIT:
Nevermind...I posted this before I saw your response above.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

security cameras and delaying the thief is your best bet... most likely the thief was probably some teenager or someone who has seen your equipment out there before...

check craigslist for the stuff to pop up for sale.... call local strap yards to notify them about it, and inform the police.

the thief will most likely be someone close by and not as random as you think... most thiefs don't go very far either.

i suggest taking some small measures to protect you and your stuff...

here's some things you can do as a deterrent:

• automatic lights/motion lights - you can pick these up almost anywhere, Wally World, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, set these lights up so that they shine light covering the most ground you can cover
  • Locks and Chains - also can be picked up anywhere, these should be used to slow the thief down, anything that makes for a not so smooth steal is going to either just leave the stuff behind, or if they are young and stupid, spend a crapload of time trying to get it apart and most likely being caught
  • Surveillance Cameras - Most places carry small cheap cameras that at least provide a sense of comfort and piece of mind

IF worse comes to worse, i'd contact a security and alarm company to come out and quote you for an entire system.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I seriously doubt the thief will come back, so I wouldn't waste time and money on booby traps and cameras. Instead, I'd make my future setup a little more secure or locked up. Unless he's really stupid, he's not going to come back to the same place for a keg when 1) he already got all the cool stuff, and 2) he knows you'll be watching for him now.

Quick Reply