Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Health Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1871 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Default Health Insurance

What health insurance provider do you have, how much do you pay per month (if any) and have you had problems with them?

My Instagram

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #2
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

United Health Care......

I used to hate them with my old company, was paying $100/month just for myself. Now I'm under $80, still with them, and I have a $150 spending account for co-pays (included in the plan I guess) and everything seems to be cheaper.

I did go from big huge corporate company to small business...so maybe it's that? I used to have Blue Cross Blue Shield (back in the day), and I was happier with them, but now, I really like UHC. It has to be the difference in plans.

I'm back!!!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Cigna. Free for me, $25/month covers the rest of my family. My employer is extremely generous with this benefit, and our plan covers darn near everything, with very little out-of-pocket. No complaints about Cigna...they seem pretty good at getting all the claims and stuff right.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Aetna, $97 (plus Co-pays) covers me and my son. I don't know how I feel about them yet, i just switched from Lumenos, where I only paid $90 (no Co-pay) a month and nothing out of pocket pretty much. I really like them and they had great customer service too. I just switched companies and had to go with Aetna so we'll see how they work out.

Cheers

Old 06-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

As someone who works in privatized healthcare and discusess this stuff daily, I can tell all of you that when you're discussing insurance, ask if the plan is Fully Insured or Self-Insured.

A Self-Insured policy offers employers more control over where they can send their patients. For example, out of the three hospitals my company owns, only one of them will take Blue Cross Fully Insured.

If you're buying healthcare on your own, then you have less choice in the matter.

Also, the extra money you pay for a PPO is worth it.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-27-2007, 04:58 PM   #6
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I have mine with Mega through NASE(National Association of the Self Employed) I can go to pretty much any Dr and any hospital. Low copays, flex spending account for the copays and a couple hundred other things that I didn't pay attention to... My policy is $211/month including dental and vision

The NASE membership is pretty cool too if you're self employed. They give you $200/day cash if you have to stay in the hospital and $500/month if you're out of work due to injury or illness. They also give a bunch of other discounts on day to day stuff that can save you some cash as well

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1871 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbudz
I have mine with Mega through NASE(National Association of the Self Employed) I can go to pretty much any Dr and any hospital. Low copays, flex spending account for the copays and a couple hundred other things that I didn't pay attention to... My policy is $211/month including dental and vision

The NASE membership is pretty cool too if you're self employed. They give you $200/day cash if you have to stay in the hospital and $500/month if you're out of work due to injury or illness. They also give a bunch of other discounts on day to day stuff that can save you some cash as well
Interesting. Did you buy it through them directly or through an agent. I'm self employeed and looking for health insurance.

My Instagram

Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
Interesting. Did you buy it through them directly or through an agent. I'm self employeed and looking for health insurance.
I got it through an agent from Mega, it came w/ the NASE membership, I'll PM you the customer care #

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-27-2007, 11:41 PM   #9
desiderata

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just got a nice quote from Assurant Health of @$182/mos. for me, wife and kid. Includes $2,000 ded. ($4,000 fam), 20% coins., and is a PPO with other great coverages. I'm happy about this, because it's the best coverage I've found, and is even cheaper than other plans with less coverage. Wondered if it is too good to be true, but the company (which I'd never heard of before--Time Insurance) has an AM Best rating of "A-" (Excellent). My current policy (provided by military) won't expire until October, so I plan on picking up this policy then.
Oh, BTW, the plan my wife's employer was offering was outrageously expensive for the coverages! That's why I decided to shop around for coverage on our own.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Blue Cross/Blue Shield, about $200 a month. They suck balls.

Quick Reply