Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > HBT: School me on Cigars!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
RC0032
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default HBT: School me on Cigars!

I have a few upcoming events where a nice cigar would fit with the occasion perfectly! I have had the opportunity to smoke a nice cigar on many an occasion but I was always with an experienced hand there to help make the section. I would like to pick up 10-20 nice cigars and a small travel humidor. Help me pick out what would be best.

I would like a nice 1+hr smoke with a range of mild to heavy. I heard about the following website but school me on what I need to know HBT!

JRCigars.com: The World's Largest Cigar Store and Lowest Prices!
Cigars - Shop Quality Cigars at Thompson Cigar
and Tinderbox.com - Cigars, Pipes, Humidors and Smoking Accessories Online

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It really is a matter of trying several types, and honing in on what you like. I personally have been trying many in the medium to full range, and keep going back to CAO Brazillia's. I like the flavor/mouthfeel. The Rocky Patel Decade's are also very nice, that would be my current second favorite.

I do have a liking for some very full cigars, but from memory, the only one I can remember was the Aston VSG.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just had a Camacho that was fantastic... double madura IIRC. I am also a fan of Romeo y Julliet and Onxy. A good stand by can be a Punch.

My favorites are dark, fat (maybe 52, or 50) and shorter (4 inches). It is rare to smoke under an hour. I usually hit 1.5 to 2 hours.

+1 to the rocky patel's... they have some great smokes.

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 08-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
hcarter
Recipes 

I really like Drew Estates' Java. But I really enjoy coffee, and this tastes like a really well brewed cup of coffee.

Creag `An Tuirc
A Highlander likes two things naked. The other's Scotch.
- Howard
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ctorial-76101/

Old 08-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3000 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 28

There are also a couple of other threads about cigars that have alot of info.

My personal favorite so far has been leon jimmens 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 08-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcarter View Post
I really like Drew Estates' Java. But I really enjoy coffee, and this tastes like a really well brewed cup of coffee.
I have had this cigar once or twice and did enjoy it, but I have a mental impasse with the cigar shape. It seems like a chick cigar, with a man's flavor. (Wait, I may be thinking of the mocha)

Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Throw some Fuentes in there. You can't go wrong. Or any other brand made by Fuente (like Ashton, Diamond Crown, Cuesta Rey, Montesino, La Unica, etc.) Some Padrons would be good too.

Know this:

Most maduro cigars (dark-colored) are medium-bodied (a few range to strong) and the flavors are typically chocolatey/coffee-y. Practically all Connecticut Shade (light colored) are mild... some range to mild/medium and the flavors are generally creamy. Nearly all cigars with a sungrown wrapper are medium to strong and the flavors are typically spicy. The key to a good strong cigar is that it also be "smooth"-tasting. There are a lot of crappy strong cigars out there because they lack that smoothness. Some of the good strong cigars are any Fuente sungrowns, Ashton VSGs, Fuente Opus X (good luck finding those), Padrons 2000, 4000, 5000, Londres (good bang for buck) and Anniversarios 1964 (medium/strong) and 1926.

For length, in many cases, shorter cigars can be stronger due to the proportional amount of ligero leaves (strong). Ligero leaves are short (in premium hand-made cigars, the leaves run the whole length of the cigar) and therefore are found more in shorter cigars. So, for example, a Fuente Chateau Sungrown is a short Robusto-style cigar and is pretty strong. Compare that to it's longer counterpart, the Fuente Double-Chateau Sungrown, which is more of a medium-bodied smoke.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

A good travel humi is the herf-a-dor.
I had a nice leather traveler with accesory kit but I can't seem to find it on the net.
As for internet sales, Thompson Cigar is one of those "You get what you pay for".
JR's, Mikes, and Famous are good stores. CI is larger and has a good selection.
Rocky Patel has a nice range of cigars to choose from. I gifted a friend on his 40th with some of their Spring collection along with the Renaissance.
Mild to full, no price range, and no flavor/beer profile makes it difficult to point you in a good direction.
Do you have a local B&M?

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 08-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Throw some Fuentes in there. You can't go wrong. Or any other brand made by Fuente (like Ashton, Diamond Crown, Cuesta Rey, Montesino, La Unica, etc.) Some Padrons would be good too.

Know this:

Most maduro cigars (dark-colored) are medium-bodied (a few range to strong) and the flavors are typically chocolatey/coffee-y. Practically all Connecticut Shade (light colored) are mild... some range to mild/medium and the flavors are generally creamy. Nearly all cigars with a sungrown wrapper are medium to strong and the flavors are typically spicy. The key to a good strong cigar is that it also be "smooth"-tasting. There are a lot of crappy strong cigars out there because they lack that smoothness. Some of the good strong cigars are any Fuente sungrowns, Ashton VSGs, Fuente Opus X (good luck finding those), Padrons 2000, 4000, 5000, Londres (good bang for buck) and Anniversarios 1964 (medium/strong) and 1926.

For length, in many cases, shorter cigars can be stronger due to the proportional amount of ligero leaves (strong). Ligero leaves are short (in premium hand-made cigars, the leaves run the whole length of the cigar) and therefore are found more in shorter cigars. So, for example, a Fuente Chateau Sungrown is a short Robusto-style cigar and is pretty strong. Compare that to it's longer counterpart, the Fuente Double-Chateau Sungrown, which is more of a medium-bodied smoke.
This is some good advice. A number of snobs also prefer slightly thicker and longer cigars. The makers blend different tobaccos at different ratios throughout the length of the cigar, so if you're into a "flavor profile", the thicker and longer cigars can be better controlled by the roller for proper blending and consistency since they're working with more area and tobacco. A robusto is about right for me for the small end of a cigar.

Sungrowns are the latest thing, and provide a bit more sweet and citrus. I second Fuente, and Padrons. My two go-to brands. I love tons of cigars from other manufacturers, but I find that nearly any Fuente and nearly any Padron are good, whereas other manufacturers I have to be a bit more picky.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

FWIW
I am definately not an expert and wouldn't even say I'm experienced enough to call myself a "novice."
I smoke Cigars only once-twice a year while on my fishing trip. I've never smoked cigarettes. My tolerance for smoke if fairly low/mild, but I used to dip so I like the tobacco flavor. I really like the Drew Estates Juicy Lucy, but I think it would be difficult to draw that out for an hour, they usually last me 45min tops.
My advice is to go to a decent cigar shop tell him a little about your tastes and importantly your budget and let them put together a sampler of 3-4 different cigars. When you find the one you like spring for a half box and a travel humidor...
A lot of them in Chicago will let you byob and you can sit watch the game have a homebrew or two (hell he might trade you one of one sample for sample) and puff away.

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Quick Reply