HBT NFL '09 Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I've started one of these for each of the last 2 years now (at least I think it's been 2 years). This is not a smack talk thread. Just a place for those of us who are also interested in the NFL to discuss REAL FOOTBALL matters from the preseason up until the SuperBowl.

Sorry to those on the other side of the pond or those of you who just aren't intelligent enough to appreciate the NFL :D :D ... 'futbol' or rugby may be popular where you are, but it's not even a "C-list" sport here. American Football dominates here in both popularity and in revenue.

If you want a place to discuss your sissy, namby-pamby sports then please start your own threads.

I'll post some more detailed thoughts before the regular season begins, but before most teams have played their 2nd preseason games here's what I see so far:

Vince Young is looking like he'll be cut from the Titans after this season and out of the league in 3 years.

Matt Cassell was elevated by the coaching and surrounding staff in NE. He is an above average QB and KC will continue to struggle or at best, be an average QB in the NFL.

I'm the biggest skeptic of all, considering that I'm a die-hard Lions fan, but Matthew Stafford looked incredible in the 1st preseason game. I think that only Brett Favre and Jay Cutler throw as hard as he does. He made a rookie mistake with his INT that was returned for a TD, but there are 3, maybe 4 other QB's in the league that can throw the TD pass that he threw. He takes the field against Cleveland tonight at 7:30 and he's starting, so it will be interesting to see how he does with (some) first teamers (Calvin Johnson, Bryant Johnson, Dennis Northcutt, Brandon Pettigrew and a slew of other still will not be playing). Stafford MAY start the regular season for the Lions but if he doesn't, he will be the starter by week 7.

Malcolm Jenkins makes the Saints defense a WHOLE LOT better. I would be very surprised if the Saints don't make the playoffs.

I expect the Broncos to finish last in their division and have a top 6 draft pick.

I expect the Raiders to end up with the #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft.

I think that the Seahawks will make the playoffs.

The 5 worst teams in 2009 will come from this pool of 7 - Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, Lions, 49'ers, Jaguars and Rams.

The top 5 teams in the league will come from this pool of 7 - Steelers, Patriots, Giants, Colts, Cardinals, Seahawks, Vikings.

The Steelers defense looks incredible as always.

The Ravens aren't going to miss Bart Scott much.

Rex Ryan is a blowhard who will not have a team that can backup his talk.

Mark Sanchez has the ability to have a very good rookie year and will cement his place as a starter for the Jets.

Other teams around the league will regret letting Rey Maualuga and James Laurinaitis slip to the 2nd round.

Like I said, these are all subject to change, pending the 3rd preseason game (where most teams play their starters for a full half on both sides of the ball).

So what do you think?

I think your knowledge and passion for the NFL are impressive.

Rex Ryan is a blowhard and his team will not back up his talk, but he's playing to a New York audience that loves that stuff and hasn't had it with Herm or Mangini. His honeymoon will be longer than you might think because he's willing to talk tough.

I am interested, from a personal standpoint, to see how much Donald Brown helps the Indy running game. I have known the kid and watched him play at UConn. I have a feeling he will be the difference maker for the Colts offensively.

The Raiders will suck but again be awfully interesting off the field.

Beyond that, I haven't thought too much about it.

I think that Donald Brown will meet or exceed Joseph Addai's rushing stats this season.

Dangit, I pulled a typo on the subject. I tried to change it, but it still shows up at BBT instead of HBT in New Posts. Can a Mod change it for me please?

I'm starting to get excited now that the starters will be playing more and more... i don't know about the giants offense this year; they may have to rely on the running game too much.

I'm really excited for the bears and getting reacquainted with Mr. Favre again. Cutler and Forte looks really good tonight and so does Hester.

Vince Young is looking like he'll be cut from the Titans after this season and out of the league in 3 years.

I agree, he reminds me more and more of Andre Ware! Great in college and terrible in the NFL.

Matt Cassell was elevated by the coaching and surrounding staff in NE. He is an above average QB and KC will continue to struggle or at best, be an average QB in the NFL.

Yeah, rumor has it that he is fighting for the starting QB spot. I would have liked to see him in Denver. I think he would have McDaniels and great WR's and might have had the same success that Cutler had last year.

I'm the biggest skeptic of all, considering that I'm a die-hard Lions fan, but Matthew Stafford looked incredible in the 1st preseason game. I think that only Brett Favre and Jay Cutler throw as hard as he does. He made a rookie mistake with his INT that was returned for a TD, but there are 3, maybe 4 other QB's in the league that can throw the TD pass that he threw. He takes the field against Cleveland tonight at 7:30 and he's starting, so it will be interesting to see how he does with (some) first teamers (Calvin Johnson, Bryant Johnson, Dennis Northcutt, Brandon Pettigrew and a slew of other still will not be playing). Stafford MAY start the regular season for the Lions but if he doesn't, he will be the starter by week 7.

He didn't look too good tonight in the game vs Cleveland. I'm hoping that they don't rush him in, but I guess I'm just skeptical after the Harrington incident.

Malcolm Jenkins makes the Saints defense a WHOLE LOT better. I would be very surprised if the Saints don't make the playoffs.

There D was okay at best before and a rookie CB isn't going to be too much of an impact player. I don't expect the Saints defense to be much better than last season.

I expect the Broncos to finish last in their division and have a top 6 draft pick.

Yeah, the Broncos need alot of help. They are going to struggle at QB all year and probably go back and forth between Orton and Simms. They will draft Bradford or McCoy next year. Their defense is weak despite adding Dawkins. He is over the hill and only has a few years left in the tank.

I expect the Raiders to end up with the #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft.

I think the Raiders might suprise some people this year. Darren McFadden will have his best season but they really don't have a true #1 WR.

I think that the Seahawks will make the playoffs.

Yeah, NFC is weak and they will get in as a wild card.

The 5 worst teams in 2009 will come from this pool of 7 - Broncos, Raiders, Chiefs, Lions, 49'ers, Jaguars and Rams.

Unfortunately, after watching the Lions D the past two weeks of preseason, I'm starting to realize that things are just as bad as last year. Derek Anderson was putting on a clinic tonight. The LB corps is soild, but they don't have a D line or Secondary. I think the Lions will be inline for another top 3 pick next year.

The top 5 teams in the league will come from this pool of 7 - Steelers, Patriots, Giants, Colts, Cardinals, Seahawks, Vikings.

Don't forget the Titans. They will be better on both sides of the ball this year. Aside from Haynesworth on D they are returning 10 starters from last year. They brought in some WR to help Collins, who looked sharp in the first two preseason games. Honorable mention goes to San Diego and Philadelphia. If Tomlinson and Westbrook can stay healthy they both have very strong offense. Even if they both get hurt Sproles and McCoy can carry the load. Defense is suspect in both cities though.

The Steelers defense looks incredible as always.

Can't argue there. Their CB's are decent but with the LB and DL they have you don't have to be great.

The Ravens aren't going to miss Bart Scott much.

Yeah, but they might miss Rex Ryan. Fabian Washington and Dominique Foxworth are good corners and with Landry and Reed to help in coverage the D should be fine.

Rex Ryan is a blowhard who will not have a team that can backup his talk.

Their WR's aren't great, but they have depth at RB with Jones, Washington and Greene. Their Line is good and the D should be better with Ryan at the helm. I think they will be better than they were last year with Herpes (Favre) as their QB.

Mark Sanchez has the ability to have a very good rookie year and will cement his place as a starter for the Jets.

Yeah, lets just hope that the Lions don't regret not drafting him in three years.

Other teams around the league will regret letting Rey Maualuga and James Laurinaitis slip to the 2nd round.

Are you an OSU fan brewtus? The Jenkins/Laurinatis comments have me thinking yes! I don't think that these two will blow anyone away.

Are you an OSU fan brewtus? The Jenkins/Laurinatis comments have me thinking yes! I don't think that these two will blow anyone away.

I am, but that doesn't change my stance. I think that Jenkins is an impact player and that Laurinaitis will play well enough to make quite a few teams regret the fact that they passed on him.

When it comes to the NFL though, I could give you a list of rookies that I think will make a significant impact this year though:

Aaron Curry (should be defensive ROY), Clint Sintim, Jenkins, Rey Maualuga, James Laurinaitas, Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Eugene Monroe, Hakeem Nicks, Brandon Pettigrew, Donald Brown, Knowshon Moreno and Glenn Coffee to name a few.

To contrast, I thin that the following guys will have rather pedestrian rookie seasons: Clay Matthews, Brian Cushing, Aaron Maybin, Kenny Britt, Peria Jerry, Alex Mack, Eric Wood, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Michael Crabtree, Tyson Jackson and Jeremy Maclin.

Back